2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

A glimpse into the future.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A glimpse into the future.

Recently a 2011 Ford Explorer (known internally as the U502) preproduction test mule was spied without any black leather cladding to conceal it's appearance. This offers us a glimpse of Ford’s design direction for its utility vehicles, and gives clues as to what the 2013 Ford Expedition may look like.

Obviously don’t expect the Expedition to mirror the Explorer, but know that it may share some similar design cues.

As for the Ford Explorer you see above? Well, if you haven’t been keeping up with current events, the Explorer is no longer a true SUV. Its a crossover SUV.

Gone is the truck based body-on-frame, and in its place, a car based unibody. Its front-wheel-drive, not rear-wheel-drive. A full-time all-wheel-drive system with a light duty single-speed transfer case and multi-plate clutch pack differential is expected to be offered as an option.

All signs point to saying goodbye to BorgWarner’s ControlTrac 4-wheel-drive system with low range. Only the Expedition will continue to use ControlTrac.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLW, thanks for more cool Ford insights... you are a real asset to this website!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 PM
gddyup
Senior User
Oh well. Looks like this 07 EB will be the last Explorer we buy.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 AM
chuck s
Elder User
I'm just worried about the Expedition. I outgrew the Explorer with my current camper and really don't want to drive a pickup truck!

-- Chuck

Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks nice, like a BMW.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't get it... why they don't make this the new Escape (maybe reducing a little the size), and select the Expedition or Explorer or make something in-between wich keeps the truck base?. That seems a lot more logical to me...

Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
The new Explorer will be classed as a full-size crossover. As a result, one has to wonder if the Explorer will cannibalize the Flex’s sales.

Ford’s 2011 sport utility lineup will look like this:

Escape (compact car based crossover SUV)
Front-wheel-drive/full-time all-wheel-drive

Edge (mid-size car based crossover SUV)

Explorer (full-size car based crossover SUV)

Expedition (full-size truck based body-on-frame SUV)
Rear-wheel-drive/ControlTrac 4-mode part-time | full-time 4-wheel-drive

Flex is not technically a crossover SUV. It’s classed as a full-size car based crossover wagon/minivan. It did in fact replace the Ford Freestar minivan in Ford’s lineup when it débuted. But again, the Flex and Explorer may fight for sales.

While the Escape and Edge are fine vehicles (and I’m sure the new Explorer will be too) they cannot be trusted for heavy-duty towing and off road use, like the Expedition. The Expedition will become somewhat of a relic among its new-age stablemates.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I really like those rims...and it does look alot like a Beamer. Not really a fan right now. I'm sure it'll grow in me, but for now gotta say "Yuck"
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
The Expedition will become somewhat of a relic among its new-age stablemates.
yep, and that just means the prices of these things will keep going up New and Used.

Ford already has dramatically scaled back production, and is likely to cut back even more.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
This is all about keeping up with GM and it's broad array of car based SUV's and a grand effort to increase fuel economy and ride comfort.

I agree, the Flex and Exploder may very compete and cancel each other out.

According to Truck Trend, the Sport Trac will be eliminated when the new Explorer debuts.

I'm optimistic that this will free up the Ranger to become the truck that it should have been for the past 10 years. A full size crew cab, a variety of engines and bed configurations.

IMO, as long as the Suburban is still on the road, the Expy or another vehicle like it will be available.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:26 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
This is all about keeping up with GM and it's broad array of car based SUV's and a grand effort to increase fuel economy and ride comfort.

I agree, the Flex and Exploder may very compete and cancel each other out.

According to Truck Trend, the Sport Trac will be eliminated when the new Explorer debuts.

I'm optimistic that this will free up the Ranger to become the truck that it should have been for the past 10 years. A full size crew cab, a variety of engines and bed configurations.

IMO, as long as the Suburban is still on the road, the Expy or another vehicle like it will be available.
With fuel prices so volatile Ford and GM can see a loss of a big chunk of truck sales just when a hurricane goes by (even if it doesn't hit). This is unfortunately a reality that is unlikey to change especially given the current political climate which is intent on ending large vehicle and truck sales. I love my Expedition, but I can see how a lot of people could not afford to feed it, even if they loved it. At least let's hope that they leave the Expedition alone and just continue to refine it and update the interior controls. Most Explorer owners I know don't pull anything big and rarely if ever go offroad. Around here though some driveways are considered "off road".

Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by david_jr
With fuel prices so volatile Ford and GM can see a loss of a big chunk of truck sales just when a hurricane goes by (even if it doesn't hit). This is unfortunately a reality that is unlikey to change especially given the current political climate which is intent on ending large vehicle and truck sales. I love my Expedition, but I can see how a lot of people could not afford to feed it, even if they loved it. At least let's hope that they leave the Expedition alone and just continue to refine it and update the interior controls. Most Explorer owners I know don't pull anything big and rarely if ever go offroad. Around here though some driveways are considered "off road".
Good point. My wife gave me the green light to get a 2011 F-150/250 next year when t he Expy is paid off. I'm actually considering getting a smaller commuter car instead. Gas will never be any cheaper than it is right now.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
gvdcpa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
This offers us a glimpse of Ford’s design direction for its utility vehicles, and gives clues as to what the 2013 Ford Expedition may look like.
Does this indicate that the Expedition will not undergo a major body style change until the 2013 model year? That might hasten my next Expedition EL purchase.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gvdcpa
Does this indicate that the Expedition will not undergo a major body style change until the 2013 model year? That might hasten my next Expedition EL purchase.
There's speculation on the '09 F-150 board that the F-150 will be redone in 2013. I can't see them both coming out with new platforms in the same MY.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The Expy is the F-150 test bed. We will probably see a body style change in 2011, or 2012 and the F-150 will incorporate most of that change in 2013 (ish)

Ford did it in 2002 (Navi), 2003 (Expy) for the 04+ F150...and then again in 2007 for the 2009 F150

hopefully the 2011/2012 Expy gets a 5.0 and 6 speed option as standard, and the 6.2 as the upgrade motor. Kind of like how GM does the Yukon

Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
The outgoing Expedition, known internally as the U324 (U354 for the long wheelbase Expedition EL and Expedition Max, which is sold outside of the U.S.) is expected to get cosmetic (new sheetmetal, front fascia, rear fascia, interior appointments, etc), mechanical (engine, transmission, etc), electronic and software updates and/or upgrades.

The new Expedition is expected to be a thorough refresh (according to older Ford plans) but with a new Tahoe and Suburban on the way, Ford may surprise us with an all-new Expedition. Only time will tell.

In Ford’s projected production plans the new Expedition, dubbed the U324(2) is set for a 2013 launch. Likely it will go on sale in late 2012 (around August) as a 2013 model. Unless Ford pushes for an early release, as GM will be introducing its new Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban at about the same time.

I’m sure some armature automotive photographers (or "Car Spies" as they like to call themselves) will snap a photo of one sooner or later, as test mules start venturing out as Ford finishes its development of the SUV.

Quick Reply: A glimpse into the future.