1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

08+ Center Console Swap How-To (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
08+ Center Console Swap How-To (With Pics)

I havnt seen a how to on this yet so I thought I'd go ahead and make one. Pretty easy, but its always nice to see how its done first. I will also include a parts list and tools so you can have it all together when youre ready to start.

Tools:
Ratchet 3/8" and 1/2" (Depending on your sockets)
3/8" Extension
7/16" Socket
7/16" Open-End wrench
1/2" Deep Socket
T55 Torx Socket
Screwdriver with removable bits
T20 Screwdriver bit
Drill
1/4" Drill Bit
Chilled beverage of your choice

Parts:
1 x Front Bracket (P/N: 8C3Z-25045B34-AA)
1 x Rear Bracket (P/N: 8C3Z-25045B45-BA)
1 x 08+ Center Console (Assembled from several parts, with different P/Ns)
4 x 1/4" x 1 1/2" Hex Cap Bolts
4 x 1/4" Washers
4 x 1/4" Nuts

Preperation:
Gather your tools and parts. Pictured here I have 1/4" x 1" bolts. These will work for the front 2 bolts, but I discovered later that the rear bolts must be longer, so I went and got longer ones. I suggest using the longer 1 1/2" bolts for all 4.

You will notice the brackets have a small spacer in the hole for the bolt. You will need to drill that out. The factory bolts are metric, however we (I) am using 1/4" bolts that I picked up from a hardware store. It's very close, just slightly too big for this hole. Go ahead and drill the hole to 1/4"

You will have to do this four times, twice on each bracket.

Assembly:

Now we need to get to the front bolt holes in the console.

Take your screwdriver with T20 Torx bit and unscrew the 2 screws here, one on each side. They are on the front top of the console box, under where the lid will rest when closed. All of the screws on the console are a T20 screw. My tray on the front of the console came detached. Now is a good time to take the T20 and go ahead and attach any other parts of your console.

Next you will need to pop off the cup holder piece. There are 2 clips per side, which are angled up. Just pull up and out and they will pop off.

Your cup holders probably fell out. Thats alright, I'll get to that in a little bit.
Here you will see 2 holes. Slide in a washer and a bolt.

Go ahead and put the nuts on and tighten them up using an extension on a ratchet and and open end wrench. In the picture you will notice I have used my shorter bolts. They dont thread all the way through my nuts, this is why I recommend the longer bolts all the way around.

If the cup holders fell out replace it. All you need to do it put it in the trim piece where they go from the top and push down. They need some convincing to go back in, but be careful.

Flip the console around and open it up. Under the mat you will see the other 2 holes. Again, put in 2 washers and 2 bolts. Slide on the bracket and tighten them up.

Seat Removal:

Each seat has 3 bolts and 1 nut on a stud. The center console or seat you're removing will have a combination of nuts and bolts also.

If you have power seats leave them plugged in for now. Remove the 3 bolts on the driver's and passenger's seats with the T55 socket. Next take off the 1/2" nut using a deep socket. You will need to slide the seats forward and backwards to get the the front and rear bolts.

Go ahead and pull the seats up and out. They are about 50 lbs, so most people should be able to do it alone. If you need help lifting, get some, don't break your back.

IF YOU HAVE POWER SEATS DONT FOR GET TO UNPLUG THEM BEFORE REMOVING!

Running Wires:

Remove the old console or seat. If you want to run any wires to the console now is the time. Most consoles will have 1 or 2 12v power plugs in them, one in the console and one on the rear. You will find a plug for this on the bottom passenger side of the console. Unless your truck is an 08+ you will not have the other end of this plug, so cut the wires and run them yourself if you want the plugs to work.
I also ran a USB extension from my radio to inside the console for my iPhone. I drilled a hole using a 2" hole saw on the round mark on the floor of the console. My wires go under the carpet at the top of the tranny hump near that black plastic piece under the dash. They resurface in the hole in the carpet for the drivers side bracket mount.

I cut a slit in the mat just wide enough for the connector to slip through sideways, that way under normal moving around it cant slip back through.

Console Installation:

Slide in the new console. You will notice that the new console brackets do not use the same mounts as before. This is normal. They will instead share the rear bolt and and rear stud with the drivers and passenger seats respectively. The console will also share the same hole and bolts as the seats on either side in the front as well, however this is unchanged from the old console.

The new console should go in before the seats. Install the console and then replace the seats. Plug them in and then replace the bolts in the floor.

Enjoy:
This step is self explanatory!

Feel free to PM me with ANY questions, should you have any. I'd be glad to help!

Last edited by A/Ox4; 07-17-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Post maintenance
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
SLUF681
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write-up! Reps to you.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
stugots
Freshman User
Nice! How much do the console run?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by SLUF681
Great write-up! Reps to you.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by stugots
Nice! How much do the console run?
Around $400. I had to buy the brackets seperate, so I imagine that boosted the price a little. Got the console from a member of another forum.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Reps sent!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool! I just traded my lariet bench seat with fold down console for captain chairs. That looks nice! But it'll have to wait

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by bulla
Cool! I just traded my lariet bench seat with fold down console for captain chairs. That looks nice! But it'll have to wait
I might swap in some captains chairs eventually. The console makes a good arm rest 99% of the time. But for times when I am long hauling on the freeway, I like to rest my elbow on a rest and just lightly hold the steering wheel in my hand, but the console is about 1/2 inch too low for that. Not a huge issue and I can make due.

I needed the extra console space for work stuffs, like gloves, paperwork etc. Unfortunately, its still not big enough to fit my axe, so for now that is still behind the rear seat.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
I might swap in some captains chairs eventually. The console makes a good arm rest 99% of the time. But for times when I am long hauling on the freeway, I like to rest my elbow on a rest and just lightly hold the steering wheel in my hand, but the console is about 1/2 inch too low for that. Not a huge issue and I can make due.

I needed the extra console space for work stuffs, like gloves, paperwork etc. Unfortunately, its still not big enough to fit my axe, so for now that is still behind the rear seat.
It looks really good nice detailed write up too. Would there be any way to shim the console up the half inch and still have it look good?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
I haven't actuallymounted the console cause it screws to the floor and for proper fit you have to cut a chunk out of the carpet. Not happening so for now it surprisingly stays in place just sitting there!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by megawatt00
It looks really good nice detailed write up too. Would there be any way to shim the console up the half inch and still have it look good?
You could get away using longer bolts and putting a spacer between the bolts and the underside of the console. There would be a gap between the carpet and the console though. The console contours with the floor perfectly. Good note for anyone who wants to do that, but I would have to pull the whole console, and I dont really want to do that today. Down the road perhaps.

Originally Posted by bulla
I haven't actuallymounted the console cause it screws to the floor and for proper fit you have to cut a chunk out of the carpet. Not happening so for now it surprisingly stays in place just sitting there!
There was already the proper cuts in the carpet for me, so that wasnt an issue.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I routed the ipod cable through the mat right above the hole I cut. It worked out perfect because now the phone reaches my ear while its plugged in, where as before when the wire was run through the cubby on the dash, it did not.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
How much did the brackets run?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by jkidd_39
How much did the brackets run?
About $100 from PartsGuyEd. $120 shipped via 2 day air. (Which in hinesight was poinless because I ordered before the long 4th of July weekend.)

Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Castawayf250
Cross-Country
A/Ox4, could you possibly sign into your photobucket account to get your pictures to work?