Modular V10 (6.8l)  

What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)

Alright guys. Here's the deal, Im looking into developing a host of new stuff for your 6.8L V10. I have several ideas as far as what I will be coming up with.

I will be doing a sheet metal intake.(Good for Turbo, N20, N/A)

Supercharger kits that will use fairly large Twin Screw Blowers.KB Or Whipple

A Heads, Cams, and Intake package that WILL deliver a HUGE horsepower gain.(Im gonna guess close to 80-100rwhp in a 2WD, Manual configuration. I currently have a guy that will test the prototype of this kit. It is like nothing you have every seen before and nothing about it is off the shelf.
(This also solves burning up exhaust valves and spitting spark plugs!)

So with that said, How much interest is there in all of this? Would I be wasting my time to try and develop kits for the V10s? How much would someone be willing to pay? Obviously this stuff wouldnt be cheap, but it would be the best thing you could buy.

Im just looking for feedback right now.

Im an enthusiast first and I have been a member of SVTPerformance.com for many many years. I added to my resume a 5.4L DOHC 03 Cobra with a 3.4L Whipple Supercharger. I also fitted all of the 4.6L Cobra stuff to the front of the 5.4L.

Few pics so you guys know I mean business.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

This is similar to the classic problem of being at an all-you-can-eat buffet where you find out that your eyes are bigger than your stomach. In this case, I think there are a lot of folks that would absolutely love to have the additional horsepower, but their bank account may not be ready to take that big of a hit.

Speaking for myself, I love the thought of forced induction, but I know that I could not afford everything to do it correctly. The heads, cam, and intake package sounds like a much, much more affordable power upgrade package.

Keep us posted! It will definitely be interesting to see/hear what you are working on...even if many of us have to live vicariously through pictures & specs of other people's trucks!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Thanks for your input.

Also, I will mention that I will do everything I can to keep the cost down.

A low boost supercharger application I can do for relatively cheap.

A heads and cams package will big a far bit. But will be a one of set of heads, custom made cams, and a custom intake. Obviously not that cheap. But I will try my best to keep the cost down.

The reasoning is simply. If you have a 5.4 or 6.8 truck now and simply need more power for recreation or towing. Bolting on a kit will be alot easier on your wallet then picking up a new or used diesel truck.

I will have a kit that will give a PSD a run for its money.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
You can slap it on my truck and I'll test her out! You just foot the bill if the engine goes! :-) Sounds like a deal to me! haha

Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speaking as a businessman... (not as an enthusiast)

The V10 has been a difficult market.
- It already makes "good" power
- The stock mpg is, uhhhm, let's call it "not impressive". Pumping up the hp rarely improves that!
- Most are in trucks used for utility, not enthusiasts.
- On average, the V10 owners tend to be more mature. Very few owners drop LOTS of cash on them just for bragging rights to impress their buddies.... Most of those types go diesel.

All that makes it kind of a limited market - especially compared to the hot rod V8 market.

I would lean towards recommending a reasonably priced, low boost turbo as a way for you to test the waters. With FUNCTIONAL and reliable power in mind. Another consideration would be requiring as little capital/tooling investment on your part as possible in case the demand remains lukewarm.
But as an enthusiast, I'd LOVE to see anything!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Future_LEO
You can slap it on my truck and I'll test her out! You just foot the bill if the engine goes! :-) Sounds like a deal to me! haha
Nope. That'll be on you to foot the bill. lol I already have someone to test the prototype.

Originally Posted by mwsF250
Speaking as a businessman... (not as an enthusiast)

The V10 has been a difficult market.
- It already makes "good" power
- The stock mpg is, uhhhm, let's call it "not impressive". Pumping up the hp rarely improves that!
- Most are in trucks used for utility, not enthusiasts.
- On average, the V10 owners tend to be more mature. Very few owners drop LOTS of cash on them just for bragging rights to impress their buddies.... Most of those types go diesel.

All that makes it kind of a limited market - especially compared to the hot rod V8 market.

I would lean towards recommending a reasonably priced, low boost turbo as a way for you to test the waters. With FUNCTIONAL and reliable power in mind. Another consideration would be requiring as little capital/tooling investment on your part as possible in case the demand remains lukewarm.
But as an enthusiast, I'd LOVE to see anything!
While I do agree with you. I think that depending on the results the market might be larger then expected.

Also, My N/A H/C/I package should not only produce more power and torque but should also yield higher gas mileage as well! It's obviously a theory just for now but that is why I have someone to test the kit first. I want cold hard facts to back up anything that I make or patiently sell. Even if it only picks up 1 or 2 mpg and picks up 50 rwhp while doing it, It would still be an upgrade all around.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Best bet IMO is a low boost (5psi or so) intercooled turbo or twin screw SC designed for towing. Turbo setup would have to be sized right to give good low end boost and spool quickly. I think you would have more success with a more "bolt on" kit like that than an intake, cams and heads which require major disassembly of the engine and just shift the power up higher in the rpm range.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM
F250saleen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would deffenetly be intrested in a kit to get more power out of my v10. Keep us posted.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dkf
Best bet IMO is a low boost (5psi or so) intercooled turbo or twin screw SC designed for towing. Turbo setup would have to be sized right to give good low end boost and spool quickly. I think you would have more success with a more "bolt on" kit like that than an intake, cams and heads which require major disassembly of the engine and just shift the power up higher in the rpm range.
I follow you. If I do a bolt on kit it will most likely be a properly sized twin screw blower. Bottom end torque is never a problem with a blower. As well as Turbos from time to time seem to be finicky on gas engines.

Originally Posted by F250saleen
I would deffenetly be intrested in a kit to get more power out of my v10. Keep us posted.
I should be picking up the mock up V10 this weekend actually. Its coming from the same guy that's gonna test the prototype.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM
ME83
New User
I would be interested in a low psi turbo or centrifugal blower. My fear with a twin screw blower is they are harder on the rotating assembly and I doubt the split pin crank will hold a lot of power. I haven't seen any aftermarket cranks for the V10.

Is the intake going to be for 2 valve or 3 valve heads? I have a 2008 3 valve that I bought earlier this year. I wanted the power of a diesel however I work close to home with cold winters and the maintenance of the new diesels is too much. The V10 was more appealing than the new diesels and you may find others like me, I recommend not ignoring the 3 valves like everyone else. I agree with mwsF250 that it is a small market, however I have been looking and there is nothing out there besides a tune.<o></o>

Another thought on the intake manifold is one made from ABS plastic. If you can get a 3D solid model, or dimensions and I could make a 3D model, you could have the intake printed on a 3D printer. For low volume runs this is one of the most cost effective methods. I don't know if the intake is structural or not on the V10.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ME83
I would be interested in a low psi turbo or centrifugal blower. My fear with a twin screw blower is they are harder on the rotating assembly and I doubt the split pin crank will hold a lot of power. I haven't seen any aftermarket cranks for the V10.

Is the intake going to be for 2 valve or 3 valve heads? I have a 2008 3 valve that I bought earlier this year. I wanted the power of a diesel however I work close to home with cold winters and the maintenance of the new diesels is too much. The V10 was more appealing than the new diesels and you may find others like me, I recommend not ignoring the 3 valves like everyone else. I agree with mwsF250 that it is a small market, however I have been looking and there is nothing out there besides a tune.<o></o>

Another thought on the intake manifold is one made from ABS plastic. If you can get a 3D solid model, or dimensions and I could make a 3D model, you could have the intake printed on a 3D printer. For low volume runs this is one of the most cost effective methods. I don't know if the intake is structural or not on the V10.
I will keep the turbo in mind and try to test that configuration as well.

Custom cranks can be made and I am already lined up for custom cams but might switch to a different company(Long story).

The 2V or 3V will not be ignored. I plan to make the same kit except the runners will have the proper port for each engine. Helping to keep cost down is the main reason.

ABS plastic is an ok idea but not suitable here. ABS is not that friendly to boost over a certain PSI(generally 10psi). Nor does it do well with Nitrous or sudden manifold pressure changes. I will try to stick to metal or atleast something with some strength behind it.

I already have a couple 3D modelling programs to help the design flow alittle better.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Originally Posted by ME83
I wanted the power of a diesel however I work close to home with cold winters and the maintenance of the new diesels is too much. The V10 was more appealing than the new diesels and you may find others like me, I recommend not ignoring the 3 valves like everyone else.
Thank you, everything seems to be focused on the 2V, I would like to see something designed for us 3V'ers and definitely for towing!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
BOUT21
New User
Design a kit and people will do it. As long as your seeing plenty of power gain. I want to supercharge, cam, port and polish my heads, and put injectors in my truck in the near future. I'm sick of all the Dodge Cummin's in my area.

I only drive my truck on weekends, so the sky is the limit. The only thing I'm worried about when supercharging is not having forged internals. All the info you can give us Ironhand03 we be great.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
1976and2001_250
Junior User
ecoboost

Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BOUT21
Design a kit and people will do it. As long as your seeing plenty of power gain. I want to supercharge, cam, port and polish my heads, and put injectors in my truck in the near future. I'm sick of all the Dodge Cummin's in my area.

I only drive my truck on weekends, so the sky is the limit. The only thing I'm worried about when supercharging is not having forged internals. All the info you can give us Ironhand03 we be great.
I will have PLENTY of options to choose from and as I said before. The V10 will no longer be under rated once a kit is done. I plan to start of small with a simple set of cams perhaps. Then more onto Intakes, superchargers, turbos, and a full bolt on package that will bring your transmission to its knees and then some!

Also, my 5.4 engine has a custom set of pistons in it that fixes alot of problems. I will test these pistons in my engine up to around 1,000 rwhp and 25-30psi of boost from a big blower. If they stand up to that, then those will be the exact same pistons I will use in the V10.

As I progress I will show some pictures but cant show to much as to give away what Im doing.

I have already spoke to a friend back in FL that will carry my products when I get a sound kit together.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve that no body knows is coming yet and you guys will be greatly surprised when I finally release it.

Originally Posted by 1976and2001_250
ecoboost
Will be running for its live!! lol

Quick Reply: What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)