Modular V10 (6.8l)  

What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
F250saleen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?

Now that would be really cool to have a intake similar to the sullivan for the 4.6.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by no_dice6
I realize that the CNC porting would not be free. However, I think it would be cheaper than R&Ding a completely new set of heads. There are many companies that already do CNC porting of the 4.6 heads, so it isn't like it hasn't been done before. I would say your biggest market will be from those people who just want a little more oomph out of their daily driver or tow vehicle. Developing a good set of long tube headers (especially for the 3V) and some decent head porting would probably fulfill those needs. A good port that added flow without sacrificing port velocity would essentially make your stock cams seem bigger as well. This maybe optimistic, but you could possibly have a 400 hp 3V V10 with the changes decribed above. I wish you the best with whatever route you decide to follow. Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?
I will start making some phone calls about the CNC porting to see the viability of it.

Originally Posted by F250saleen
Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?

Now that would be really cool to have a intake similar to the sullivan for the 4.6.
A carb has several problems on a mod motor. A single carb would put more fuel towards the inner cylinders due to the length of the motor.

Also, to put a distributor on even a V8 mod motor is over 1K alone for just some of the components. Since the computer would still be controlling the spark curve, I think it would be a better idea to leave the fuel injected setup in place. Believe it or not, it would actually be cheaper to do so.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
F250saleen
Junior User
I was thinking of a carb'd intake but keeping it efi ofcourse thats more for racing so I doubt alot of ppl race their v10.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F250saleen
I was thinking of a carb'd intake but keeping it efi ofcourse thats more for racing so I doubt alot of ppl race their v10.
I dont see why that would happen. I can get a single large T/B that will flow over 2500 CFM. No need for carbs really.

Also, does anyone have a junk set of 3V heads laying around by chance?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Junk? No.... Perfect, almost brand new set, yeah...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
I now have someone to make me the intake and exhaust flanges. So its moving along.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM
00250SD
Freshman User
How about a cast intake? I know the upfront costs would be more, but if you plan to produce a quantity it may make more sense. I may be the only one who uses my truck in any kind of competition, but sheet metal intakes aren't legal for me. A cast one would be legal.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 00250SD
How about a cast intake? I know the upfront costs would be more, but if you plan to produce a quantity it may make more sense. I may be the only one who uses my truck in any kind of competition, but sheet metal intakes aren't legal for me. A cast one would be legal.
I will have something that will work really well for you actually. I have enough stuff together to actually put a prototype kit together for you if you want one. Although it wouldnt be exactly cheap. But it would fill your needs and still be legal. If you have 6K and give me about 6 weeks to get it together. You could have it that soon. Machine shop bills is what drives up the cost and waiting on other people is more of the delay then me.

Also, a cast intake is very expensive. Molds, CNC, computer time, etc, etc, would cost about 40K before one part would come out. Not exactly what I would call cost effective.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Different people are willing to do more of a tear down than others for the sake of adding power. The best time to tear and engine apart is when it's new but few will do that....especially when the warranty goes out to 60k.

I have spent alot of time in the fox body mustang world and I can tell you that the best bang for the buck (besides gears) is the centrifugal supercharger. Just have different pulleys to adjust the boost. I would predict you would sell a bunch of these at the 5-6psi level if you showed that it wouldn't hurt the internals. Supercharging a truck that tows heavy is very different than supercharging a 3200 lb car that never tows.

Keep in mind that there are a bunch of people here the think 5 Star Mike is king (I am on of them). If these kits required reprogramming I think I would want Mike involved. Just my $.02.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by super 6.8
Different people are willing to do more of a tear down than others for the sake of adding power. The best time to tear and engine apart is when it's new but few will do that....especially when the warranty goes out to 60k.

I have spent alot of time in the fox body mustang world and I can tell you that the best bang for the buck (besides gears) is the centrifugal supercharger. Just have different pulleys to adjust the boost. I would predict you would sell a bunch of these at the 5-6psi level if you showed that it wouldn't hurt the internals. Supercharging a truck that tows heavy is very different than supercharging a 3200 lb car that never tows.

Keep in mind that there are a bunch of people here the think 5 Star Mike is king (I am on of them). If these kits required reprogramming I think I would want Mike involved. Just my $.02.
No offence to Mike or any of his supporters. I will be bringing in outside help. I have two options to get the tuning done. They both are THE best Mustang custom tuners on the planet. One tunes street cars to literally 6 second cars. Another does basically the same thing. I will stick to people I know and have awesome reputations.

These guys also tune for drive-ability, not on the dyno. So before anyone says that they only tune the WOT table you would be very wrong. They tune the car while its going down the road, track, datalog, etc. They are also very experienced with power adder cars and very large injectors. So that's another reason why I prefer them over everyone else.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
SuperDutyKing
Junior User
I could be sold on a turbo as well!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
V10Pride
New User
very nice, I'm glad someone is willing to do some v10 performance parts. Well, first off I am interested in a heads/cams package. any more information on those, let us know.

lastly, an aluminum block be nice, anyone makes those?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
bigseadaddy
Senior User
Another vote on a low PSI (5-7) bolt on turbo kit. No offense but the issue with this is that I have seen no less then three FTE members say they have a turbo or is building a turbo and nothing comes to surface.

If we had a bolt on turbo for the v10 that would close the gap on high pass towing between us and the PSD guys it would be... well just ****!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by V10Pride
very nice, I'm glad someone is willing to do some v10 performance parts. Well, first off I am interested in a heads/cams package. any more information on those, let us know.

lastly, an aluminum block be nice, anyone makes those?
Heads and cams is gonna be a primary concern. As well as specific turbo cams.

EDIT: AN aluminum block would be very expensive to make, and if I was gonna make one I would change it to a 72 degree block. Just too much money to try and pull something like that off.

Originally Posted by bigseadaddy
Another vote on a low PSI (5-7) bolt on turbo kit. No offense but the issue with this is that I have seen no less then three FTE members say they have a turbo or is building a turbo and nothing comes to surface.

If we had a bolt on turbo for the v10 that would close the gap on high pass towing between us and the PSD guys it would be... well just ****!
Im not like that. If I say Im gonna do it then watch it get done.

My first two projects are a heads, cams, and intake package. Then a bolt on turbo kit for the PI 2 Valve.

If anyone has a set of 3V heads laying around please let me know. I cant make a kit without the heads for my test motor.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
F250saleen
Junior User
Hey ironhand03 do you have any pics of the projects your working on?

Quick Reply: What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)