1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Turn Signals, Hazards, or Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 AM
FireFighter12105
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Turn Signals, Hazards, or Brake Lights

I was adding some more running lights today and tried to tie in to the front running/turn signal light. Next thing I know I hear a pop and now no turn signals, hazards or brake lights on my 99 F250 SD V10. My 3rd (center) brake light does work though when I press the brake, it's just the tail brake lights that dont work.

I can't find a blown fuse for the turn signals or brake lights (not really sure which fuse box it's in since the manual doesn't tell me what fuse is what)

I however did find what I'm guessing are the flashers behind the radio.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might have went wrong where before I start dumping money in to flashers and relays.

The next question is, can I jump in to the marker/turn signals and add another single LED light to them off the front? If I can which color wire does what?

Last edited by FireFighter12105; 07-04-2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Add year, make and modle
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If one set of lights is working and the other isnt then maybe you just popped the fuse to the break lights. If you heard a pop then it probably was a fuse. Unless you some how short circuited that part of the system.

I'd be looking for fuses first and try to find a service manual or a Haynes manual to help you isolate what could be the causes and where to find the fuses.

Also, maybe sure you test both sides of the fuse and not just one.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
FireFighter12105
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ironhand03
If one set of lights is working and the other isnt then maybe you just popped the fuse to the break lights. If you heard a pop then it probably was a fuse. Unless you some how short circuited that part of the system.

I'd be looking for fuses first and try to find a service manual or a Haynes manual to help you isolate what could be the causes and where to find the fuses.

Also, maybe sure you test both sides of the fuse and not just one.
I don't have any turn signals at all on either side in the front or rear, no hazards either side front or rear, no rear brake lights either side but I do have the 3rd center brake light.

I tested the fuses BOTH sides last night and again this morning, can't find any that are blown.

It seems odd that it would be the flasher seeing that I have no brake lights?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FireFighter12105
I don't have any turn signals at all on either side in the front or rear, no hazards either side front or rear, no rear brake lights either side but I do have the 3rd center brake light.

I tested the fuses BOTH sides last night and again this morning, can't find any that are blown.

It seems odd that it would be the flasher seeing that I have no brake lights?
Its either the switched on the brake pedal or it's a fuse. There are fuses all over a modern car or truck. It could be under the hood or under the dash.

Also, there are large fuses that you cant really test. They are square black fuses but don't have any testing points. Maybe fuses is the wrong word, its actually a relay and there are several in the fuse block.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
All those lights operate on separate fuses, what would make at least 3 fuses. Not likely you had them all burning at the same time. I would look for faulty connector in fuse box, or burned relay.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
I did a little search and came up with this.

Underhood fuse box.

AutoZone.com | Page Not Found))

Underhood fuse box listing.

Underdash fuse box

Underdash fuse box listing.
AutoZone.com | Page Not Found)

Another underdash fuse box?

Listing for that one.

Continued listing for that one.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM
FireFighter12105
Junior User
I finally found the turn signal fuse in the fuse box in the cab, it looks like at some point it blew before and someone put a 30amp fuse in it. Not to sure I like there being that high of a fuse in there.

Next step is to see if I have break lights once I have someone to give me a hand and look lol..

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram of the front marker/turn signal lights to see what wire to jump in to so I don't blow anything else out, or can I not do that?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm just lurking () and have a '97, so I'm not much help on the newer rigs.

If you want to test your brake lights by yourself, try setting a tool box against the brake pedal or test the lights at night when backed up near the garage door.

Good luck on tracking down the problem. I hate those pesky electrical gremlins that live in all of our trucks at one time or another.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
RixF250
New User
Brake lights, turn signals not working...

After loaning my truck to my daughter my brake lights and turn signals stopped working and one turn signal was stuck on... I found my relay for emergency flashers not working as designed(faulty relay) and in the on position, once placing flasher button off....turn signals and brakes now working. Apparently emergency flasher relay disables turn and brake lights relay. Culprit was my 7 year old granddaughter....

Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 AM
wilby21
New User
no rear turn signals ,flashers,running,

Originally Posted by Ironhand03
Its either the switched on the brake pedal or it's a fuse. There are fuses all over a modern car or truck. It could be under the hood or under the dash.

Also, there are large fuses that you cant really test. They are square black fuses but don't have any testing points. Maybe fuses is the wrong word, its actually a relay and there are several in the fuse block.
I also had this problem, and i checked and checked them fuses, relays and then i checked them again, now i have a 2005 f250 super duty, ford trucked

and this has been a trying month, well anyways i finally had enough of these fuses they all were find, i was told to replay the switch in the steering column, i did this, nothing wrong with it, i was told to replace the switch on the brake pedal, this had to be it, no it was not bad,
so i got under this truck and followed the wires all the way back of the truck, On the right side right in the back of the truck is a couple of plugs look for the ones that have 6 to 9 wire plugs, i opened two of them they were bolt ate away on the inside.
I found just two pins left, the rest were gone, so bad that i had to replay the unit,
this was the only problem, all the other parts that i took off I put the older parts back in place
turn signal switch, this one is on the column of your steering wheel.
brake switch,
None of this had anything to do with this problem,
Now they could of been the fuses or the relays or the steering column switches, but they were not, lots of good edvice here, on this subject i would trace your wires first, before i replace anything,,