1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

went to the car show today (man i love my beater)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
went to the car show today (man i love my beater)

so i went to the local car show today and it was a pretty good turnout.While walking through the numerous 30s and 40s and 50s cars that were about to drag on the ground with their sparkly rainbow paint the ones i looked at the most were the stock ones with rusted out doors and oil dripping off the frame.
After thinking about it ive kinda decided that im not sure i want a vehicle that is so nice ill worry about every little thing with it. Like i know a guy who has a 55 chevy that has perfect paint (orange and silver) and interior and is a really nice car but since its so nice he worrys about it all the time. He would probably kill someone for leaving a fingerprint on it and has to stand next to it every time someone parks next to it to make sure they don't get too close. Mean while in my 64 f250 with saddle blanket seat covers and 352 v8 from a late fifties car, ill hook axles and do a pull off with anybody in the middle of the gravel road or go mudding, or drive it covered in grease and not think twice about it. So what does every one else think sunny day driver or beater?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
I sorta kinda stuck in both camps. WHile my truck is nothing but a driver.

One like this would be nice. But i wonder would I be paranoid about driving like I do mine. Mine goes to dumps and to salvage yards. The wife can drive and even temporarily store stuff on the bed.

Although I would like this 56 project I have

to turn into this

Reality, my pocket, and enjoyment probably looks more like this

or THIS

These if I am fortunate and I could live with the chips and touches that would come to something like this really nice one.
1956 Ford F-100 - Classic Trucks Magazine

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I say driver/beater.
Donald did you know your truck is in Oldskool rodz magazine???
I will look at the exact issue and page number.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:48 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Really? Yeah send me the info Iwanna

Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I must have missed you there, I was at it too. Right now my house is surrounded by all the cars and trucks, lol. I love it.

You know, I've thought about this as well, personally I'd rather use it daily than have it so spot less a smug ruins my day. It's not being enjoyed at that point, it's just sitting somewhere hoping something doesn't happen to it. You can have the best of both worlds without being so critical with every little thing.

Sure is a Chevy town, didn't see too many Ford trucks today

Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer my driver/beater.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver. I had a Harley was a really nice driver with custom paint and I was always worried about it getting scratched and dented. Sometimes I wouldnt take it out cuz I knew I would have to wash it.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
yea the fords were a little weak today. I thought about putting my 64 in it and crossing out the please do not touch sign but didn't get around to it. That blue and white 79 ford had me all excited tho. That and the jacobson and prill special model A i like that car. Oh and stephen if you ever getting woke up early in the morning by a green 64 f250 with a flatbed, don't worry its just me going to work lol.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tacson
Really? Yeah send me the info Iwanna
I have the mag at home so Ill send it tonight.
I could scan the page but that will have to be tomorrow

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
just thought id through a picture of my daily driver. 64 ford f250 with 352 and dented all to he**

Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Sweet!!! She's a beaut

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Bobs65F600
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stephen67
You know, I've thought about this as well, personally I'd rather use it daily than have it so spot less a smug ruins my day. It's not being enjoyed at that point, it's just sitting somewhere hoping something doesn't happen to it. You can have the best of both worlds without being so critical with every little thing.
I like how you think. I always thought these "100 point cars" were BS anyhow. I have NEVER gotten a 100 point anything off the lot, so what the????? Hail dings, a scuff here and there, a badge hung crookedly, or what have you. Heck, one vehicle I looked at a couple three years ago was MISSING its nameplate on the one door!

I say drive it, use it, enjoy it, and so long as it's a 10-footer you're probably better off than most folks!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think too with these old trucks, having them a bit used is part of their charm. I have a tendency to really enjoy the lack of paint, rust and other flaws when I see them. It's living history. When they are really "finished" they loose a little something, and it's that thing that makes you feel you could use it everyday and enjoy it like it was built to be.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 AM
tlb
Elder User

I like the shine but also i like to drive it. We are on the road every weekend going somewhere. Last year we drove down to Pigeon Forge. Paint job was brand new at the time but i told my wife i am not going to be obsessed over every little chip or finger print.
Get in and go, thats what they are made for.

Terry

Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like drivers best too but that's partly because I have to live within my means with my truck. It seems that when all is done except paint and I'm looking at anywhere from 2-4 K to have it painted, I decide to drive it as it is...

Quick Reply: went to the car show today (man i love my beater)