1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Replace ignition lock cylinder on 1989 Ranger (no key)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 AM
jcheinen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace ignition lock cylinder on 1989 Ranger (no key)

I need instructions on how to replace the ignition lock cylinder on a 1989 Ranger with a tilt wheel and NO KEY! I bought this truck for $300 and don't want to spend a fortune on a locksmith. A new cylinder is cheap but I'm not sure how to get the old one out and the new one in. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

jcheinen

Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Rackster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the ignition switch

JC,

I'm not sure if it is the same process as my 80 Buick Skyhawk, but you'll need to pull your steering wheel off to access the barrel where the cylinder goes in. Pretty sure you aren't contending with an airbag, else I imagine that this gets loads more complicated (consider your safety). In my situation, it was a quick job: including the run across town to get the new cylinder and key <2 hours. Actual fix was around an hour.

Do an Advanced Search under the Search drop down. You might have a more proper description of what to do.

Good Luck!! And welcome to FTE!!

Kevin

Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please not that these instructions are for a '91 Ranger. If I recall corredtly, the proceedure is the same for an '89 Ranger.

REMOVAL:

1. Disconnect battery ground cable. Remove steering wheel. Remove tilt lever, if you have a tilt column. Remove upper and lower shrouds.

2. Locate the small hole on the casting that retains the lock cylinder. Punch the lock cylinder retaining pin with a small diameter ***** punch (1/8" or smaller). Using a 1/8" drill, drill out the retaining pin, going no deeper than 1/2".
NOTE: Take care to not damage the cast housing while drilling.

3. Place a chisel at the base of the ignition lock cylinder cap, and using a hammer, strike the chisel with sharp blows to break cap away from the lock cylinder.

4. Use a 3/8" dia. drill and drill down the middle of the ignition key slot about 1-3/4" until the lock cylinder breaks loose from the steering column cover casting. Remove the lock cylinder and drill shavings from the base of the of the cover cast housing.

5. Remove the drive gear, bearing retainer and actuator from the casting. Clean components with a cleaning solution. Check all components, including the casting, for damage from the drilling. If there is damage, the part must be replaced. Use compressed air to remove any drill shavings or foreign particles.

INSTALLATION:

1. Reinstall the drive gear, bearing and retainer. Lubricate with grease before installing.

2. Lubricate the lock cylinder with grease.

3. Turn lock cylinder to the ON position and depress the retaining pin.

4. Insert lock cylinder into its housing in the flange casting, making sure that the tab at the end of the cylinder aligns with the slot in the ignition lock drive gear.

5. Turn the key to the OFF position. This will permit the cylinder retaining pin extends into the cylinder casting housing hole.

6. Using the ignition key, rotate the lock cylinder to insure correct mechanical operation in all positions.

7. Connect key warning plug.

8. Reverse the INSTALL step 1 proceedure.

9. You should be good to go. Hope this works for you.