July All Topic

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Which is why I cited my sources. That way no blame could fall upon me
I assumed the answers were cut and pasted from a web site or book. I didn't mean to insult you.

In school I always hated taking tests where even though I knew the material, the questions were misleading, poorly written, or just plain meant to trick. Then I had a metallurgy professor at Rio Hondo that told us on day one he always included trick questions on his tests. It's actually not as bad when you know they will be there.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know you went to Rio, Bill. I went there for a semester so I could play in the band, but didn't really apply myself to my other studies. I liked the fact that there were ashtrays, and the view of the mountains on those clear winter days was wonderful.

I'd like to lodge a formal complaint about this humidity. Is this the proper forum?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Probably going to be thunderstorms across the desert. Odd weather. Not comfortable.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
In school I always hated taking tests where even though I knew the material, the questions were misleading, poorly written, or just plain meant to trick. Then I had a metallurgy professor at Rio Hondo that told us on day one he always included trick questions on his tests. It's actually not as bad when you know they will be there.
My EMT class was notorious for that. The tests were multiple choice and would have multiple right answers, but one was "more right" because of a small technicality. And sometimes the "right" answers was only book right, but once you get into the real world it is done differently.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FORD RANGER
ok how many times does the cam turn at that rpm?
Depends on how many cams your engine has. You're trying to trick us, right?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Depends on how many cams your engine has. You're trying to trick us, right?
I was gonna say, depends on the engine. The valves depends on if its 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Goodbye to an old Gal

Well, getting old and having health and money issues "creates a vacuum". My neighbor, born the same year as I, yet 20 years my senior due to his health, sent another of his car collection down the road this morning.

I might have been shopping for tires, or just driving by--I don't remember as it was at least 15 years ago--when I saw this car. A black on black 1965 Galaxie 500XL. Always one of my favorites--I built a model of one when I was younger and they were new--I had to look. As I walked up I saw the shifter and three pedals and then the 427 8V under the hood. It looked like a lightly used '65 would have looked in the fall of '66. The owner was having power steering installed. As original, it was crank, water pump/fan, and alternator on one skinny belt.

In 1996 we bought this house, and down the street was a house in need of a bit of fix up, but not a eyesore. I noticed the guy had a couple cars, and eventually he had a solid gate (which is an eyesore) rigged up as he was feeling some heat from other neighbors. Can't even recall the first time I spoke to him.

Some time later, I see all these cars sitting on the street one misty Saturday afternoon. A survivor '71 Z28 in great condition. A '67 'Vette, a '66 Impala, a '60 Chev sedan delivery in parts, a couple old cop cars in good condition, and a black '65 Galaxie with some missing front end parts.

Turns out, it was the same car.

Over time I got to talking with the guy, and actually dribbled gas into his 1963 Galaxie 500XL 427 8V 4 speed car as he tried to start it--it did fire.

The '65 had fallen victim to a bad paint job, and, eventually, the inability of my neighbor to care and feed such a beast--let alone the others.

So now the Z28 is gone. And this morning, the '65 Galaxie went on the truck. It's going to better home to get brought back, so I hope to see it back here some day. It runs good, but has a water leak (and no headlights) so the truck was the only way.

The next door neighbors were out and I went down to talk to the guy buying it--I'd met him a couple times before. The neighbors loved the stories about these cars and appreciated the "history". Turns out the '65 with a 427 is pretty rare, but does not have much of a following. '64 and earlier, according to the guy, numbered 35,000 or better, and THEY have the following.

Rare doesn't mean highly desireable it seems, so the '65 isn't a top dollar car. Still more than I could justify for a hobby car that you couldn't really use as a DD--maybe a parade once a year.

Anyway, when I spoke to the neighbor last weekend, he told me the sale was coming. He admits he just can't swing working on the cars, and can't afford to pay others to work on them. At least not in the numbers he had. And so the Ford is gone, the Z28, the 454 4 gear El Camino. Cop cars are next, he says.

Maybe I can score the '66 Impala SS 427/425 hp, 4 speed--with ps, dual mc pb, pw. (he added the power stuff) Sure it's a Chev but wth. Another rare car, but guess what? "Nobody wants" the Impala. They want a Biscayne or Bel Air.

Maybe if I wait 'til he's really sick, I can lowball him. Not.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Nothing wrong with a '66 Impala...not much difference between that and the Caprice other than the rear side widow and a little bit of trim. And besides, 50,000 lowriders can't be wrong

Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Probably going to be thunderstorms across the desert. Odd weather. Not comfortable.

Had about short sprinkle in Ramona yesterday -wild monsoon season.

Back home, at least the clothes dry quickly... does anyone else still use these ancient devices?

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by wpnaes
Had about short sprinkle in Ramona yesterday -wild monsoon season.

Back home, at least the clothes dry quickly... does anyone else still use these ancient devices?
Hey, thats cheap. My grandparents still do it though. I would if I had one.

Look what I did today!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Looks great Trey. I still like my jumper seat in the middle.

I picked up my clothesline at ACE hardware, $19.99 closeout?. After a couple of years, i think it's paid for itself in natural gas.

Oh, and I'm a grandpa, so it fits.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Hadn't used a clothesline in a very long time. I try not to use the washer or dryer either.

08+ console looks good Trey

Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by wpnaes
Looks great Trey. I still like my jumper seat in the middle.

I picked up my clothesline at ACE hardware, $19.99 closeout?. After a couple of years, i think it's paid for itself in natural gas.

Oh, and I'm a grandpa, so it fits.
You also have kids. I do not. So I dont need the seat. I would rather have the storage for my work stuffs.

Do the clothslines come in non-permanent forms? The only ones Ive ever seen were cemented into the ground.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Just buy some clothesline cord and string it in a convenience place for you. Solar powerer is free! Wifey likes the soft feel of towels from the dryer after showering.... I don't mind sandpapery towels!

Quick Reply: July All Topic