6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Transmission... went out for lunch then came right back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission... went out for lunch then came right back?

LOL, well the title says it all. Not sure the best thing to call it. about 2k miles ago I finally did the Spartan and DPF/Cat delete, trucks has been running good, I keep it on 210 all the time, I never even floored it! I just did it to get rid of the DPF. I was approaching a red light, so I took my foot off the accelerator to coast, then the light tuned green so I press down on the accelerator and I was not going anywhere? I press down again, nothing, I heard the engine rev, and my music was a bit loud, I turned it down, pressed on it 2 times quickly, then it finally bucked forward and drove fine.... It feels fine now, it shifts smooth, and all is well. I remember before I did the spartan, I think i caught the tranny do the same thing in a similar situation, only it got power right away but the truck REALLY bucked forward HARD and, and i almost felt axle hop? I cannot get it to really happen again, but I am wondering what some thoughts are on this? what can it be possibly?

Thanks!!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
I guess i am just as stumped as the rest of you!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
TCM maybe?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Really tough to say, as transmission diagnostics aren't easy. These transmissions are known to be pretty durable, but anything can break.

Do you still have any kind of warranty? If so I'd get that Spartan setup off the truck and take it in.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Sugarmommaracing
New User
how many miles are on the trans fluid? some times one of the solenoids will hang up and cause that when they are close to being due for service.
also many recommend running this trans about 1/2 pint over full

Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Really tough to say, as transmission diagnostics aren't easy. These transmissions are known to be pretty durable, but anything can break.

Do you still have any kind of warranty? If so I'd get that Spartan setup off the truck and take it in.
Oh no! anything but the dealer! Was hoping to avoid that by all means. Plus its a pain in the *** to put the stock exhaust back on! I still have my extended warranty though for a while.

My tranny has seemed to always act a bit strange, like from a stop when i get off the brake, sometimes you seem to feel a small slip or almost a bump feeling once it starts rolling again. Happens maybe 50% of the time.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sugarmommaracing
how many miles are on the trans fluid? some times one of the solenoids will hang up and cause that when they are close to being due for service.
also many recommend running this trans about 1/2 pint over full
Well, i bought my truck used with about 43k on the clock. At that time i brought it to my local dealer and had them do an oil change, fuel filter change and tranny fluid change... I however do not trust they did at least 1 or 2 of them for some reason...... Now I am at 57 miles..... Maybe I should do a tranny fluid change my self for the hell of it? are they easy to do on this truck? i never looked into it....

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
SurlyRider
New User
Hmmm Any news on the Tranny

Originally Posted by ETKMS
My tranny has seemed to always act a bit strange, like from a stop when i get off the brake, sometimes you seem to feel a small slip or almost a bump feeling once it starts rolling again. Happens maybe 50% of the time.

Hi,
My F-350 2009 has been doing this same thing...50K miles, dont know what is causing it. Any more info from your end. It appears to be all of the time with mine though?

JT

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a one time occurrence too with the Spartan installed,
slight downhill, to a left turn, slight uphill.. no tranny.. nothing.. stopped and then it was fine.

I also thought I was getting some slippage, weird noise vibration/?? on reasonable acceleration (60-70 to pass) while towing with the 210 tune. Since removing the tuner I cannot recreate it.. we have a 2500 mil tow starting wednesday, austin to chicago & back. lighter loaded trailer(furniture).. hope we don't recreate the problem. I'm all stock now

Sam

Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Sugarmommaracing
New User
Well, i bought my truck used with about 43k on the clock. At that time i brought it to my local dealer and had them do an oil change, fuel filter change and tranny fluid change... I however do not trust they did at least 1 or 2 of them for some reason...... Now I am at 57 miles..... Maybe I should do a tranny fluid change my self for the hell of it? are they easy to do on this truck? i never looked into it....
Sorry for the delayed response. Do you have any kind of receipt from that work? does it show what kind of fluid that was used. these trucks have to have the type "sp" if your not sure I woulds go ahead and service it for peace of mind.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by SurlyRider
Hi,
My F-350 2009 has been doing this same thing...50K miles, dont know what is causing it. Any more info from your end. It appears to be all of the time with mine though?

JT
Well, mine still does that, never got it checked, its a shame dealers have such a bad reputation that I can actually be scared to bring it there... 50% of the time was probably a bad estimate on my end, its more like 85-90%. still not sure what it is, But it has nothing to do with my spartan since it was like that before i installed that. (I am reffering to the slip/buck feel i get when taking my foot of the brake, not the time i had no tranny).

Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sugarmommaracing
Sorry for the delayed response. Do you have any kind of receipt from that work? does it show what kind of fluid that was used. these trucks have to have the type "sp" if your not sure I woulds go ahead and service it for peace of mind.
Yes, this is what it say from my delar paper work.

Torqshift transmission flush
ATE 6.0 Torqshift transmission Flush.

1 Trans Service Kit 01941
14XT*6* QSP Fluid - Transmission

Does that seem right? and why does it say 6.0 torqshift?

Anyone have a DIY on how to change it your self, i would not mind doing it again.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Does that seem right? and why does it say 6.0 torqshift?
Because the transmission is identical, and there were more 6.0s built than 6.4s. Is yours an early '07 build by chance? If so you have the same external filter the 6.0s do as well.

Anyone have a DIY on how to change it your self, i would not mind doing it again.
Not a really good way to do it yourself and get all the fluid out. You can pull the pan and refill, but you miss 2/3rds of the fluid this way. You can't flush this unit without a heated flush machine because there is a thermostat that restricts flow below operating temperature. I'm an avid DIYer, and I did lots of research on this and came to the unfortunate conclusion that it really can't be done.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Because the transmission is identical, and there were more 6.0s built than 6.4s. Is yours an early '07 build by chance? If so you have the same external filter the 6.0s do as well.

Not a really good way to do it yourself and get all the fluid out. You can pull the pan and refill, but you miss 2/3rds of the fluid this way. You can't flush this unit without a heated flush machine because there is a thermostat that restricts flow below operating temperature. I'm an avid DIYer, and I did lots of research on this and came to the unfortunate conclusion that it really can't be done.
Interesting, i never knew it was the same tranny. Yes, i have an early 07 build Job 1.

I never serviced a tranny that needed to have to be flushed like this. Its much easier working on sports cars with manual trannys!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The specified ATF changed somewhere in the early '08 builds from Mercon SP to Mercon LV. Check the specification for your truck to see which fluid to use.

Quick Reply: Transmission... went out for lunch then came right back?