1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 cruise control issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Southern Buckers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 cruise control issue

I have been having problems with my cruise control for some time now. When I set it at say 70, it will surge up a little and then slow down a little. It makes my speedometer pulse all around 68-72 or so. My engine is aoways reving up and down like it can't figure out how to stay on 70. This makes for a very miserable ride and makes it constantly speed up then slow down and then speed up again. It does this non stop. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it. Thanks,
Dustin

**I just had my cruise control recall fixed the day before yesterday and it did not fix this problem.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CC switch recall wouldn't cause your symptoms anyway.
Does the speedo move up & down w/o the cruise control on? If so, you need to get that straightened out then the CC will probably act OK. The most likely cause of a wandering speedo is the RABS on the rear axle, the wiring going to it or the tone ring is wobbling inside the axle housing. You can verify the tone ring by removing the sensor, look through it's bore while turning the drive shaft. There should be no side to side or up and down movement.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Southern Buckers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will check that out! I guess the RABS is the rear anti-lock brake sensor. Thanks for the help!