Sponsored by: DP Tuner

pre turbo failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM
bomberchamp
Cross-Country
Received 46 Likes on 9 Posts
pre turbo failure?

Over the weekend we towed my buddies race car about 1200 miles to Idaho and back. I had the truck set on performance tow as we were only about 5000 lbs towing and cargo. On the way up at night truck ran fine, boost good, egts would hit about 1000- to 1100 climbing hills and had good power. I let my friend drive the last leg on the way home so I could sleep and told him to keep the egts under 1200. I woke up to him cussing my truck because in cruise it would easily climb to 1400 degrees on hills. told him to get out of cruise control and slow down if need be.
I am now driving my truck back in performance tune and black smoke like never before and only 12 lbs of boost, used to get 22. When I shut it off this evening I noticed a fluttering sound coming from the air cleaner as it was spooling down.
I did Change the fuel filter but didn't help, I can run wot for a block and get the egts to 1200. This seems excessive to me am I right?

Just wondering if we may have started a premature turbo death?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Check your up-pipes for soot...

Remember there is a back side you can't see as well.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  34.4 KB

Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 PM
bomberchamp
Cross-Country
Received 46 Likes on 9 Posts
I did check and there is no more than before the trip. The passenger side has just a hint of soot around it but it's been that way for a while.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Check for intake leaks first but take off the intake and look at the turbo. Check for in and out movement and side to side. In and out in very bad. Side to side not as much as long as it don't rub. Hows the oil is it using? That much boost leak has to be something you can find. Chet
Never let anybody tow in perforance tunes except yourself, lesson learned. Nobody cares like yourself dose. God bless hope its not bad!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing to check are the 3 bolts that bolt the turbine housing to the compressor housing. I lost all 3 of mine within an oil change and luckily nothing happened, but my mechanic has seen them actually split in half and cause a good exhaust leak. I would imagine it could cause poor boost. When the bolts fall out the only thing that really holds it up is the exhaust downpipe.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check all rubber boots in the intake making sure they are tight and no splits. A leak in one of the boots will cause what you are saying.

Never tow anything in performance tune.