1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Owning A Diesel Pickup Lost It's 'Edge'? Why BUY One Nowadays

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
7-point-3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something that looks missing is the life expectancy of the motor - gassers are the first to die, yeah?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a '99 V-10 in an E350 motorhome. I towed my Wrangler and it went over the highest passes with no trouble. Passed a lot of diesels climbing the grades too. Not to say it was the finest rig ever built but that V10 kicked butt!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Livn-lg
Freshman User
If or When the next depression hits I wonder how many gas engine owners will be creating petrolum products in their garages to get around town. This last hiccup in the economy made me decide to keep my diesel (or another) around forever as the ability is their to produce my own if needed.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM
mach8274
Tuned
I have a 9k TT. up until this past Feb, a 2002 F150 had the towing duties. It had the 5.4L, 4R100 trans, 4x4 7700 GVWR and many "extra" goodies to help pull it. It did just fine as long as I stayed away from the mountains. However, we love to camp in the mountains. I would start out at the bottom of a grade, particularly on I-26 between Shelby and Saluda, NC, at about 70. By the time I got to the top, I was doing 40 with my foot buried in the floor and the truck absolutely screaming. I know that gassers are supposed to rev and all that, but it's not an easy feeling.

The diesel takes the "job" out of towing and we can enjoy the trip as much as the destination. We go out about twice a month with the TT. Other than that, it stays in the garage most of the time waiting for it's next adventure.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
bigseadaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Livn-lg
If or When the next depression hits I wonder how many gas engine owners will be creating petrolum products in their garages to get around town. This last hiccup in the economy made me decide to keep my diesel (or another) around forever as the ability is their to produce my own if needed.
You my friend have brought up one valid point and if that were to come to pass I would get an old mercedes or vw car vs driving a huge truck...

Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Livn-lg
Well, would you see as many WWII movies as I did you'd notice that ***** were using charcoal to power the converted gas engines. Actually they used a firewood, that was fried in special pressurized drum mounted on front bumper of the trucks. At least that how I have seen it in the movies.
Wouldn't it be nice to go to the woods with ax for truck fuel?
Once you there you could chop a plug for the hole in the block where spark plug used to be....

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Hauls our 5er like a dream, never even thought of a gasser....

Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Gassers have improved???
Compare 230 HP in Powerstroke in 1999 to 400 HP in Powerstroke in 2010.
Now if you think you can run 400 HP with fuel consumption of 230 HP, than you sure are for a surprise .
The HP rating is not what kills the mileage, it is the emissions. Without the crazy emissions, and with proper tuning, the new diesels would be way more efficient than the old ones. A 400 HP motor can get better mileage than a 200 HP doing the same work. And if driven equally the 400 HP will get the same as the 200 hp, all things equal.

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
What is the weight & frontal area on that? I've found the 5.4L to be quite capable of pulling trailers up to 20,000#, but that was without the wind resistance of a travel trailer. A 10,000# Conventional Travel trailer pulls with a little struggle, but that is about the worst combination to tow... A 13,000# 5th wheel actually does quite a bit better than the conventional TT.
A 5.4L is capable of doing it, but not easily. The diesel does it with much less effort. If you have not towed with a diesel, you don't know what you are missing

Originally Posted by bigseadaddy
You my friend have brought up one valid point and if that were to come to pass I would get an old mercedes or vw car vs driving a huge truck...
Well, if we had to produce our own fuel, then road systems as we know them would be a thing of the past, and I don't think an old car would work very well. Ford diesel 4x4 for the win

And, to the OP's coments: there is less benifits to buying a new diesel vs a new gasser than there used to be. Is there enough benefits for a gasser over the 7.3L? No way! I could start listing the reasons why, but won't unless I am asked, because it would take a while

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by plgebbia
The HP rating is not what kills the mileage, it is the emissions. Without the crazy emissions, and with proper tuning, the new diesels would be way more efficient than the old ones. A 400 HP motor can get better mileage than a 200 HP doing the same work. And if driven equally the 400 HP will get the same as the 200 hp, all things equal.
That might be the truth in dreams. I did own cars from 21 HP to 300 HP. The 21 HP Fiat 126 was unique, but had several cars in similar size and weight rated between 75 and 300 HP. Theoretically the same mass require the same energy for steady cruising. The only difference is in acceleration. Now in my whole life I have never seen a driver (including myself) who having 300 HP available would use only 75 for acceleration.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
If you're not familiar with them why are you arguing? I'm not trying to start fights here. I'm not saying Mercedes diesels arnt good. I'm sure they are in fact the largest dump trucks in my counties public works dept are Mercedes powered. And there are plenty of semi trucks Mercedes powered. I don't understand where you're coming from because you're post is sort of irrelevant. No one said "the rest of the world" was behind. Look at the Cummins 5.9. Amazing motor with great reliability and mpg hovering around 20mpg I believe.
And don't go blaming ford, they havn't built a diesel since the 7.3L, which in it's time was a leader among diesels.
Ummm.....Ford didn't build the 7.3. International Navistar has built the 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, and the 6.4. The new 2011 6.7 is Ford's first in-house diesel. I'm staying diesel for now.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
With all the stats and bs aside the short answer is get what suits your needs or wants. Spending 50 k just to pull a camper is stupid IMO. Justifying it is rediculous. Buy what you need and you'll not have to blow yourself up creating combustable materials in your garage. If the world comes to creating a man's own gas, dont think I'm not coming for yours. That has to be the dumbest reason for justifying buying a deseil I have ever heard. Really man. Its a truck. Truck guys have bigger egos than the quad racers I'm used to, which I thought was impossile. It mostly comes down to wee wee sizes. hahaha

Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
I agree with the OP. Unless you are towing very heavy buying a diesel is not cost effective at all. I will admit that I could easily get by with a gasser but I just like diesels better, always have. I hope to keep my 6.0 for a long time, as it will be the last diesel I buy unless they seriously revise the emissions equipment on the newer trucks.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
I'd get a new 6.7L, just cause it has 400 HP and 800 lb. ft.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Livn-lg
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
With all the stats and bs aside the short answer is get what suits your needs or wants. Spending 50 k just to pull a camper is stupid IMO. Justifying it is rediculous. Buy what you need and you'll not have to blow yourself up creating combustable materials in your garage. If the world comes to creating a man's own gas, dont think I'm not coming for yours. That has to be the dumbest reason for justifying buying a deseil I have ever heard. Really man. Its a truck. Truck guys have bigger egos than the quad racers I'm used to, which I thought was impossile. It mostly comes down to wee wee sizes. hahaha

I pull trailers regularly but wanted to throw another log on the fire. I purchased my diesel as my 1/2 ton would not pull my loaded 28' trailer worth a damn. The making your own fuel is a plus. Also, I look forward to seeing you come my way as I am an avid hunter and have my fair share of weapons also. This is yet another reason for owning the truck, To hall out all my taxidermy mounts......

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM
14&Ford
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, this thread is TOO good to leave alone.

I too think that a HD diesel Pickup has its place. There are contractors, Hotshots and fifth pullers that Genuinely haul 10k plus loads and/or base their commercial business on one. They need one.

Did you get that? NEED ONE.

The sad fact is, MANY not ALL have a diesel and dont really NEED one. MANY haul a trailer, but might do it 6 times a year. Some can just simply have the financial ware with all to afford $50-$60K on a new diesel. I cant.
Nor can i justify the $7k Premium.

It would be super if i had big $$ but i dont.

I RARELY haul more than 9k #. Mostly, its less than 7k #.

I went used and i went V10. Main reasons were Good reliability, good value in the used marketplace and better cost on maintenace. You might beat me up a hill by a few MPH, but im gonna have more $$in my pocket when you tabulate the WHOLE ownership experience.

Not bashing diesels- Id like them, i just dont NEED a diesel

Quick Reply: Has Owning A Diesel Pickup Lost It's 'Edge'? Why BUY One Nowadays