Painting parts with Rust-oleum questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting parts with Rust-oleum questions

I have been debating over whether to leave everything chrome or paint it black... I dont not like alot of chrome i think it just looks stupid and flashy so decided to do a full white/black theme on the truck. I have used Rust-Oleum on plastic parts and very impressed with the results and durability. I did not prep the surface at all besides cleaning it but i know metal parts especially chrome parts are completely different. What i planned on doing is painting the front bumper, rear bumper, grill, plastic valance and the chrome rims gloss black. Here is my various questions i apologize for how many there is but haven't found a thread or step by step that answers all of them and would like to know from you that have experience doing this. Dos scuffing the surface make that much of a difference using this paint? Do i need to wet sand each coat ? I planned on using a foam roller to apply it to the bumpers what should i use for the rims? Also should i apply a few coats of primer before hand? I am guessing self etching primer would be best? Also is the enamel paint the best? What are my options for adding clear coat or is it necessary? As far as mixing should i do a 25/75 mix with minerial spirits? I really like the idea of using Rust-Oleum sense its cheap and the results if done right look like it was done professionally. I appreciate all the advice in advance!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have experience with chrome, but I do have lots with rustoleum. I would think that sanding all the chrome so it is dull, and then spraying with self etch would be the way to start. As far as the paint itself, use thin coats, wet sand between, and then finally use spray clear. I personally think that clear is important because it helps prevent the paint from getting chalky. In my experience, it doesn't spray well, but when wetsanded, it really shines.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 93f250tn
Does scuffing the surface make that much of a difference using this paint? Do i need to wet sand each coat ? I planned on using a foam roller to apply it to the bumpers what should i use for the rims? Also should i apply a few coats of primer before hand?
I recommend scuffing the chrome to give the paint some tooth. Wet sand with 220. I shot my bumpers with Rustoleum etching primer (Walmart!) then Krylon satin black and it is holding up well.

Here are some pics when painting my wheels with Rustoleum Hammerite Bronze. No primer coat was necessary cuz they were already painted... I did wet sand with 320.. it took a while cuz I also shot the back sides. Like grinnergetter says, multiple light coats for a tough and durable coverage.

Originally Posted by 93f250tn
I am guessing self etching primer would be best? Also is the enamel paint the best? What are my options for adding clear coat or is it necessary? As far as mixing should i do a 25/75 mix with minerial spirits? I really like the idea of using Rust-Oleum sense its cheap and the results if done right look like it was done professionally. I appreciate all the advice in advance!
A clear coat is not necessary but it does add protection. In hindsight, I should have shot clear satin over everything except for the wheels since the Hammerite does finish somewhat glossy to achieve the hammered effect.

Read up on Hot Rod's "$98 paint job". I think the article is still available on their website. They did a 50/50 mix with mineral spirits but that really adds the number of coats you'll need to do. Personally, I would stick with spray cans to avoid bubbles.