1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F250 Cheap Paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Wisebuck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F250 Cheap Paint job?

I have had my F250 a week and the original paint is flaking off around the wheel wells and rocker panels. Previous owner did a touch up.......I guess the best he could do.

Is there a problem with the steel or did the factory not prep it properly? It is flaking away down to the steel.

I know I can sand it down and feather the edges and then spray rocker panel coating on it.
Thanx
P.S. I can't post pics yet, and the truck has always been in Alberta.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Havn't heard of any problems, most likely from rocks or road salt? Nothing worse than poor touch-up jobs.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In paint, you get what you pay for. If you want it right, and to last it needs to be sanded down, cleaned, sealed, primed, painted, and cleared. It's just not cheap. Otherwise like you said, liner it.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 AM
GVS
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wisebuck
I have had my F250 a week and the original paint is flaking off around the wheel wells and rocker panels. Previous owner did a touch up.......I guess the best he could do.

Is there a problem with the steel or did the factory not prep it properly? It is flaking away down to the steel.

I know I can sand it down and feather the edges and then spray rocker panel coating on it.
Thanx
P.S. I can't post pics yet, and the truck has always been in Alberta.
I have an '06 which I bought new. At 4 years the paint began to flake. Truck gets washed every one to two weeks.I don't see this problem on GM or Mopar at this age. Incidently I live in N/E NYS. I'm hard core Ford but this paint problem is BS.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
It's a problem on all of them especially if you live in the rust belt somewhere. The paint usually bubbles up from behind the wheel well and there is no "cheap fix" to that. If you're gonna keep the truck a while then have a reputable body shop fix it right. Otherwise cosmetic fixes will usually come back within a year.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in so cal.. my truck is an 02. I bought it used with 50k on it. Iv owned it for almost 6 years, over the last year and a half, the clear coat is starting to bubble and peel off. I know the truck was originally from Texas. found an old insurance card behind the glove box one day. along with 38 cal bullet's under the rear seat.. LOL.
I think its about that time also for a complete paint. not just a touch up. i was quoted about $1500 from a local body shop.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 AM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford's paint more recently has been less than stellar, but I can't put 100% of the blame on them as I know the EPA has forced all of the manufacturers to change their chemicals and processes. I have an 01 F350 that the paint still looks pretty good on other than the rear wheel wells which are notorious for rusting from the inside out. My 05 however is flaking off at the front of the doors, the corners of the window trims on the side glass, the rear rockers (I attribute this more to rocks), and the wheel wells are starting to go. Obviously something changed between 01 and 05 as the 01 doesn't have the flaking paint issues that the 05 does. This isn't even mentioning the flaking emblems (grille and sides) peeling chrome on the grille, rested out bumpers replaced at only 3 years old, or the **** poor design of the side trim allowing moisture and road salt to collect under them and bubble the paint off. I know Ford's been cheapening things up (missing hood blankets, courtesy lights in the doors, glove box lights, rear fender liners, etc.) but I wish they could offset that with better overall quality. Still rather drive a rusty Ford than push a chevy though.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Clean it up, prime and line-x the bottom of the truck....

Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 AM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
I live in so cal.. my truck is an 02. I bought it used with 50k on it. Iv owned it for almost 6 years, over the last year and a half, the clear coat is starting to bubble and peel off. I know the truck was originally from Texas. found an old insurance card behind the glove box one day. along with 38 cal bullet's under the rear seat.. LOL.
I think its about that time also for a complete paint. not just a touch up. i was quoted about $1500 from a local body shop.
If they are using quality paint, that is an awesome price. I would find out what kind of paint they are using. You must not need any body work. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 AM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
paint

Originally Posted by wizardsr
Ford's paint more recently has been less than stellar, but I can't put 100% of the blame on them as I know the EPA has forced all of the manufacturers to change their chemicals and processes. I have an 01 F350 that the paint still looks pretty good on other than the rear wheel wells which are notorious for rusting from the inside out. My 05 however is flaking off at the front of the doors, the corners of the window trims on the side glass, the rear rockers (I attribute this more to rocks), and the wheel wells are starting to go. Obviously something changed between 01 and 05 as the 01 doesn't have the flaking paint issues that the 05 does. This isn't even mentioning the flaking emblems (grille and sides) peeling chrome on the grille, rested out bumpers replaced at only 3 years old, or the **** poor design of the side trim allowing moisture and road salt to collect under them and bubble the paint off. I know Ford's been cheapening things up (missing hood blankets, courtesy lights in the doors, glove box lights, rear fender liners, etc.) but I wish they could offset that with better overall quality. Still rather drive a rusty Ford than push a chevy though.
We have a winner! In my opinion all of the paint they use now is not as good as before. Because of EPA regs and all.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Wisebuck
Junior User
Yea thanx guys. Like all of you I'm a die hard ford fan "rather drive a rusty Ford than push a chevy" lol,lmao.........as this is my bush hunting and firewood truck I think I may end up doin' a white and grey camo job on it eventully. The little woman wants me to do a biege rocker panel job on it till then heh. Ya I'll keep it nice......for now.