Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Just thinking out loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's an out loud thought....why do the Owasso ambulances have chains hanging from underneath, near the axle. The chains almost touch the ground.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never noticed that, now I'll have to look. Maybe they're use to tie them down when the winds blow . Maybe they are grounds?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
here's an out loud thought....why do the Owasso ambulances have chains hanging from underneath, near the axle. The chains almost touch the ground.
They discharge the static build when the rear air bags are deflated to load/unload patients/supplies thru the rear.
It's not just Owasso's ambulances that have these......

Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM
mikebon08
Posting Guru

Do ambulances have those Onspot chain systems for getting around in bad weather? Those might hang down just inside the rear wheels too.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
another out loud thought..............we've got super smart TVs that are as thin as a biscuit, that can connect to the internet and stream instant movies, play games, internet, and can even give a 3-D show.....................but for the love of pete......why don't they have the automatic volume control to keep the stinkin commercials from blasting sooooo darned loud???!!!$@&* I hate that. We've got a 40in samsung that has the auto volume level control feature in the menus but it really does not stop the commercials from blasting us out of the room.

How can the TV makers be so smart to add all those features but not keep the darned commercial volumes from spiking?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
okgearhead
Junior User
Keep venting, We have the same problems in Bixby.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
another out loud thought..............we've got super smart TVs that are as thin as a biscuit, that can connect to the internet and stream instant movies, play games, internet, and can even give a 3-D show.....................but for the love of pete......why don't they have the automatic volume control to keep the stinkin commercials from blasting sooooo darned loud???!!!$@&* I hate that. We've got a 40in samsung that has the auto volume level control feature in the menus but it really does not stop the commercials from blasting us out of the room.

How can the TV makers be so smart to add all those features but not keep the darned commercial volumes from spiking?
Lets see, if one were able to ignore the commercials, then they would stop ordering/buying stuff. Manufactures would be forced to lay people off, and where would that take us? So, just listen to the commercials, and keep the economy rolling along!!!!!

In reality though, commercials are loud so we know when to finish up getting a snack.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeB 88
Lets see, if one were able to ignore the commercials, then they would stop ordering/buying stuff. Manufactures would be forced to lay people off, and where would that take us? So, just listen to the commercials, and keep the economy rolling along!!!!!

In reality though, commercials are loud so we know when to finish up getting a snack.
The commercials are louder, so you can still hear them while taking a restroom break, or grabbing a snack, or even mowing the yard.........

I tend to wear out the "shuddup"* button on my remotes.......

* Family freindly name, not what I usually call it, the STFU button.

Years ago I had an older magnavo?) TV that had a "smart sound" option. It did a decent job of keeping the commercials from waking up the dead.

I just wish the movies and tv shows weren't broadcast with the sound half muted. You gotta turn it way up to hear whats being said, and then get blasted out when the special effects start, or a commercial comes on....

Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Woohoo. This week I've seen workers installing/moving underground utility lines all up and down Mingo, from 76th Street to 46th Street, by the airport. Dare i say it?.....I think the city may be turning this small two lane into a 4 lane road soon?. I sure hope so. I bypass 169 to take mingo to/from work everyday.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Hope your right, but I'm not going to hold my breath!!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Sitting at the stop light at 96th and Garnett the other day, almost got to witness a terrible accident. An Ambulance and Fire Truck headed north with lights and sirens on attempted to go through the red light. Ambulance slows down while going through intersection. Some stupid lady talking on her cell phone goes through her green light and almost t-bones the ambulance in the middle of the intersection. After she barely stops and avoid hitting it, she then proceeds to drive right in front of the ambulance. Then Some stupid guy driving a company truck decides to cut in front of the fire truck that was following the ambulance. Yeah, he was on the cell phone also.

I'm beginning to think cell phone aren't such a good invention. After all, everyone survived before they were around.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I'm with you on that sentiment, Mike. I'm fed up with people, young/old/male/female, driving like zombies with that dang phone stuck to their face. Twice yesterday i almost got the front bumper ripped off my truck as two idiot drivers on their phones tried to beat oncoming traffic with a sharp left turn into my lane, while i'm stopped at the light.

Sometimes i wish i was a cop so i could give out stupidity tickets. lol.

Here's one for ya......when should a hobbie/recreation activity interfere with other peoples ability to earn their living and get to work on time? Answer: i think never. I tried to get to work today via 76th st and Mingo.(Heading to airport) but the whole S.W. side of owasso, from the police station to 76th st. is blocked to all traffic because they are having a bicycle road race. REally?!?! C'mon. The cop at the barricade told me i had to turn around and take the service road then the highway to get to work. WTH? sigh. I really wish the bike enthusiasts had a big track somewhere to ride on, instead of the roads.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
You think that's bad. Try driving down these narrow 2 lane/no shoulder roads and come across bike riders riding two or three abreast, and have them laughing because they're holding up traffic. In order for us to pass them, by state law we need 3 feet of clearance. Impossible with oncoming traffic.

Bike riding is here to stay and is getting more popular. While I'm not a bike rider, it would be nice to see that bike race held today grow bigger. Maybe it would bring more money to our little town. It would have been nice to advertise stuff like that in advance so we can make plans.

I guess Owasso FFA held a big car show several weeks ago. I was waiting for it, as I delayed fixing stuff on the Thunderbird because I wanted to enter it. I saw no advertising for it until the day before. By then it was to late to get it ready.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster

lol. I finally have the answer to my question. We had a neighborhood block party today, and Owasso Fire and Ambulance trucks came out for the kiddos to check out. I asked about the chains. They are automatic chain drop systems, for road traction. They dont wrap around the tires but they rotate down to near and in front of the tires and then spins to put the chains inbetween the tire and road as the tires move. Pretty neat idea and easier/faster than wrapping/unwrapping chains around the tires.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:19 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Interesting!!

Quick Reply: Just thinking out loud