Sponsored by: Moser

1977 ford f100 carburator porblems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 PM
craigc187
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1977 ford f100 carburator porblems

i have a D7TE-N1A Carb on my 1977 for F-100 302 engine that ran fine untill i tried to smog it and they said i needed to clean it so i decited to remove the carb and scrub it with a wire brush and some carb cleaner but did not take it apart. and i also put some carb cleaner in my gas tank to clean it from within itself but when i went to put the carb back on and started the truck there was gas shooting out of the top of the carb what does this mean? now ive been told i might have a problem with my float but i know little about carbs and dont think i can replace the float. so now im being forced to move out of my house and i really need this thing running b4 the 1st now it ran just fine b4 i removed it but when i put it on it shoots gas out of it what do i do?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Man listen never say never!!!!!
If someone at the factory put it together you can take it apart and rebuild it and put it back together!!!
Your gonna have to put your big boy pants on now and tackle this thing cause no body's gonna do it for you.
Now with that said BUT A MANUAL FOR YOUR TRUCK it will be your friend and a good investment. Flip thru it instead of your favorite t.v. channels and learn how to take care of your pride and joy.

I would say when you "cleaned it" you must have turned it upside down and got your floats hung up. They really didn't mean for you top clean the outside of your carb, but you can do this rebuild. Use a digital camera and take a bunch of pics all the way around it for a reference so when you go to put it back together it will be right there in color for you.

This time I was "hard on the beaver" but man toughen up and tackle this problem head on then you can say ya I did it!!!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 PM
craigc187
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigdaddys76
Man listen never say never!!!!!
If someone at the factory put it together you can take it apart and rebuild it and put it back together!!!
Your gonna have to put your big boy pants on now and tackle this thing cause no body's gonna do it for you.
Now with that said BUT A MANUAL FOR YOUR TRUCK it will be your friend and a good investment. Flip thru it instead of your favorite t.v. channels and learn how to take care of your pride and joy.

I would say when you "cleaned it" you must have turned it upside down and got your floats hung up. They really didn't mean for you top clean the outside of your carb, but you can do this rebuild. Use a digital camera and take a bunch of pics all the way around it for a reference so when you go to put it back together it will be right there in color for you.

This time I was "hard on the beaver" but man toughen up and tackle this problem head on then you can say ya I did it!!!!!

ok i own the chilton book for it. now you say i got my floats hung up now do i have to take it apart to fix that? and i really only have 5 days till i move out and am really busy atm but i dont think i have time to rebuild it myself due to the fact i cant find a rebuild kit in my town i would have to order on line asap right? so what one do i need? i really have noone that can help me with this. and i would love to to this my self but time is to much of a factor and i really dont think u understand when i say i know very little about trucks. and the chilton book is to confusing.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Take some pictures and then start pulling screws out,MARK THEM WITH A SHARPY IF YOU HAVE TO, pop the clips off and if you are real careful with an exacto knife you can separate the pieces were gaskets are and then you wont need a rebuild kit for what your doing you need it apart wash out the bowl with carb cleaner using the straw with the can flow some cleaner thru all the passage ways hold the top half of the carb upside down to look at the floats and make sure they are parrallel with the carb body adjust if not flip it over and reassemble.

Is there a community college near by with a shop class you could get some help from, a member of your church that turns wrenches, my god put an add on craigslist asking for help, ride around your neighbor hood and look for the garage door thats open and has a hot rod in it or the back yard full of cars or parts.

I'M DONE! NEXT.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Fuel coming out of the top (I assume it's coming from the bowl vents) means the float is stuck.

As you already know, halfway cleaning out the carburetor only creates more issues. The only way to properly clean a carburetor is to rebuild it - which means fully disassembling it, soaking all the metal parts in Chem Dip, spraying them clean, and rebuilding with a fresh rebuild kit.

Anything else will just move the garbage around.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Should bea tag on your carb, write down the numbers off the tag, and look at the cab and see what the name is on it, and take this information to your local auto parts store, and order a kit for it. If it isn't in stock, they can have it for you the next day in most cases.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
True you probably do need to rebuild it, but before I did that I'd take the screws out of the top of it (4 or 6 I think)and move the air horn (top) out of the way some and push the float up and down with my finger to get it unstuck/free'd up screw the top back on and see how it runs.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:20 AM
craigc187
Junior User
F*** IT!

ok well i tired to take it apart and broke part of it and so i guess im off to buy a holly then thanks everyone for the help!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM
jsutton
Posting Guru
The Holley 2300 model will bolt right in place on your stock 2 barrel intake and it comes with the auto trans kickdown already installed, which is good if you have any auto trans. I have the Holley 2300 model 4412 500cfm on my truck and I love it. I could have went with the 350 cfm model but I plan on doing a cam and heads upgrade so I went ahead and went with the bigger carb.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I never got here in time , but first i would have 2nd what "bigdaddys76" said. Then if you are in a hurry just take the old carb. in as a core and get a rebuilt one just like it. They do have a warranty if it goes bad right away,which they do sometimes. Myself, I would just rebuild it ,not hard to do. After all you broke it and had to get a new one after all. I know this sounds like a scolding but there are a lot of guys on here wanting information ,then don't like what they hear .

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM
craigc187
Junior User
Originally Posted by jsutton
The Holley 2300 model will bolt right in place on your stock 2 barrel intake and it comes with the auto trans kickdown already installed, which is good if you have any auto trans. I have the Holley 2300 model 4412 500cfm on my truck and I love it. I could have went with the 350 cfm model but I plan on doing a cam and heads upgrade so I went ahead and went with the bigger carb.
thank you for the info on the holley and but im not sure if its the same i have a 302 engine and its not stock it was a crate engine and am unsure of its year but my carb WAS a dual barrel motercraft i think it was 1150. is that the stock one with the holley you talked about still work?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
My truck has a 302 and stock had the 2 barrel Motorcraft 2150 on it. Just for reference I'll post pics of the 2150 carb. If your truck still has the two barrel intake manifold on it then the Holley will bolt right on.

Well couldn't find a 2150 pic very easily so here is a Motorcraft 2100 (main difference is the choke pull off, but looks pretty much identical to the 2150)

Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM
craigc187
Junior User
well i found an ad on craigslist for a holley 750 double pumper will that work for me?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
craigc187
Junior User
and yes that look just like my old one!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
A 750 double pumper would be a 4 barrel carb, so it won't bolt right in place if you still have the stock 2 barrel intake manifold. Plus 750 is too big for a 302 unless it's pretty hopped up.

Quick Reply: 1977 ford f100 carburator porblems