Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 transmission wont move truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2000 transmission wont move truck

i figured since im such a nice son id help my dad out if though hes blaming me that i didnt want to change the fluid in his transmission last week. 2000 F-350 4x4 crew cab with 7.3 i believe about 130-135000 miles on it. never towed anything other than 2000lb duck boat. anyways he went to go to PA today were from jersey and hoing up the mountains there it started to slow down he said and rev out. then D wouldn't move at all so he was using 1 then 2 then D to go through traffic to get to a napa store. he stopped and checked the dip stick it wasnt on it at all. he bought two bottles of mercon added it and it still wont move at all now only reverse is working he said. is his tranny done as i told him??

Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when my second trans went (a week after it was rebuilt) I split the forward clutch drum. All I had was reverse.
Sadly it sounds like its time for a new trans.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it checked out, but I think like Frank.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Did two quarts of ATF get the fluid level where it belongs, or is it still low?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:20 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump...........

Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
my relationship with my dad is kind like, well not the greatest. so after he called and i told him to add fluid because it was low he flipped saying that if i changed his transmission oil last week like he asked that it wouldnt have blown. even though its the original from 2000 but he doesnt understand that for some reason. So to answer your questions no i have no idea if it was full after the two quarts or not.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first thought is it's too much of a coincidence that he did a trans fluid change and now it's having issues. If it was two quarts low, there's a chance that it's still too low after adding the two quarts. It could very well be that he didn't add enough after the change or perhaps something is clogging the filter during the fluid change (assuming he didn't change the filter).

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
My first thought is it's too much of a coincidence that he did a trans fluid change and now it's having issues. If it was two quarts low, there's a chance that it's still too low after adding the two quarts. It could very well be that he didn't add enough after the change or perhaps something is clogging the filter during the fluid change (assuming he didn't change the filter).
I think the ol man is raising h&ll with him for not changing the fluid Chris

Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
ok we dropped the pan, no metal in there. dropped the valve body cleaned it out, dropped the solenoid pack cleaned it. drop the L shaped thing that looks like a valve body and took the seperator plate off and there is three black bolts with holes drilled in the middle that were all the way out hitting the rubber on the seperator plate. retorque them reinstalled everthing, filled tranny with fluid and the truck moves in reverse drive 2nd and first but now it wont shift out of first unless you let off the throttle??? one thing when i removed the solenoid pack we noticed a small tear in the rubber of the seperator pack maybe from it being stuck to the solenoid pack? my dad needs this fixed any ideas?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
glad to know i can get better help from google nowadays

Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The gasket needs to be replaced. Be sure all the bolts are torqued correctly.
80- 100 inch pounds for the body bolts.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
thankyou trackspeeder, i figured the tear wasnt close to anything to hurt but i guess not. Ive been checking the web but cant find a factory replacement sepertor plate and gasket anywhere? is this a oem only thing or can i just go to a local transmission shop and get one?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
and one more thing how in the world do you check the transmission fluid with the factory dip stick? the plastic on the end always looks full. i waited two days since we changed everything and checked it today just sitting in the driveway and its always on the plastic hatch marks but never on the plastic itself? but if i put it into a bottle of atf you can cleary see the line where it stops? So i really cant tell if its just laying in the tube still or if its full or empty

Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver

these are the three bolts above the seperator plate that are prone to coming loose and cause weak shifts and NO FORWARD GEARS

Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
thankyou trackspeeder, i figured the tear wasnt close to anything to hurt but i guess not. Ive been checking the web but cant find a factory replacement sepertor plate and gasket anywhere? is this a oem only thing or can i just go to a local transmission shop and get one?
Ford dealer, transmission shop, and NAPA should have them.

Quick Reply: 2000 transmission wont move truck