Modular V10 (6.8l)  

In The Shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
cnvF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking In The Shop

I had to take my 2002 f250 v10 in the shop last week. I pick it up tomorrow. Here are the things that were broken.

1) Dipstick tube rusted in 2. Primary problem. He couldn't pull the broken tube out from out side the oil pan. They had to jack up the engine --> pull the oil pan and push out the tube that way.Got a new oil pan in the process.

Here is the kicker. He asked me what kind of oil I use? My truck has 180k on it. I told him for the last 150k I have only used Royal Purple 5w 20. He said it looked almost like a new engine with the limited view he had. He said he thought the RP was just like all the other synthetics, but after seeing my engine he was switching all of he tow trucks tomorrow. Funny stuff. But I am glad it is doing a good job.

2) Exhaust manifold studs broken with leak. He ended up breaking off 3 more flush. Drilled them all out and didn't have to use Heli-coils. A little heat helped. He said this is common in all the manufacturers not just ford. The week prior to mine he did an Avalanche.

He did have to get the factory manifold machined to get back in tolerance.

3) New serpentine Belt. All pulleys still in good shape after 180k. Original Alt, Power Steering pump, and Waterpump.

I dare someone to say these engines and trucks aren't reliable. What is your take.

By the way this only cost me $740.00. I think this a good deal. I would have spent more than that on all the tools to do all the work. What do you guys think?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,304 Posts
These v10 are tough engines and the BSEG doesn't hurt either. That repair bill doesn't sound to bad either.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Decent amount of work for a good price. Nice going