1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

another 95 P.S.D. wont start ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another 95 P.S.D. wont start ?

Hey fellas and chicks if there are any, I'm a frequent flier on the 73-79 side "Bigdaddys76" so I'm not new to the site but am new to diesels.
Here goes my prob/story, I'm diesel dumb and will need you guys to dumb down your responses, initials don't tell me much, ie IDM IPR but am willing to learn and listen.

The truck in question is a 95 2wd auto 7.3 psd that has been sitting unstarted since early 2007. I bought two new 1125 c.c.a. batteries cleaned connections and turned key to wait to start and cranked only to get no fire off. Knew enough to see if the fuel pump was pumping by pushing in the shraider valve and am getting fuel there so I opened the fuel filter cap and witnessed fuel in the bowl as well. The glow plug relay is latching also. A local guy stated that since it sat so long the "pump" in front of the fuel assembly had leaked down the oil and to remove the 1/4 drive allen plug fill it with oil put plug in and it will sense pressure then fire over, No it did not. I read here about smoke out the tail pipe while cranking and it does not I did not watch the tach to see if it was moving while cranking either. What do those two mean? No fire to glow plugs and possibly a bad crank shaft sensor?

Help out a new guy if you will!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you added oil to the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump), 1/4 drive allen plug, was it low? Should be less than 1" from the top.

You should start with fresh fuel since it's been sitting so long. Try to dump as much as possible & refill with new. Add a can or 2 of anti algae additive <---Click. Replace the fuel filter too. Algae will plug your filter in short order. The filter will be black and slimy if you have it.
Even though you hear the Glow Plug Relay clicking doesn't mean it's getting through to the glow plugs. If the ambient temps are above 70F you don't need to be concerned with it though but it doesn't hurt to have them working. Jump the 2 large terminals on the GPR with a screwdriver ect and hold for 30-60 seconds. Jump in the truck and start it.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Hpop was empty it took exactly one quart to fill it up. The filter looked like new. Its definitly hot enough outside we had a heat index of 106 today and I still did the post to post trick but no luck. Fuel smelt good? like diesel should and had a good look to it. Anything else?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To be clear the "Wait To Start" light does come ON, even for just a few seconds when you first turn the key, correct?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigdaddys76
Hpop was empty it took exactly one quart to fill it up. The filter looked like new. Its definitly hot enough outside we had a heat index of 106 today and I still did the post to post trick but no luck. Fuel smelt good? like diesel should and had a good look to it. Anything else?
Yah, you don't need to worry about the GPR with the heat that high.
Check the HPOP again, you may need to fill it a couple times.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Yes the wait to start light does come on say for 15-20 seconds, checked the hpop after filling it then cranking and was about an inch low, topped off and cranked her some more checked hpop was right on level. I don't want to keep ranking and get the starter too hot.

Hit me again!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
IPR maybe stuck while sitting for so long. Try unplugging the icp then crank it over. I'll get a pic for ya

Quick easy try anyway

Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Will try 2morrow but easy on me bud dumb it down, IPR? and IPC? I see the icp in the pic but what and where is the ipr and how 2 unstick?
Thanks

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Unplug the ICP first (injection control pressure) sensor and try starting. If that sensor is bad and not reporting you have high pressure oil in the heads then the truck will never start. Disconnecting it will cause the PCM to assume a high oil pressure of 750 PSI and unlock the IDM (injector driver module) and try to fire the injectors.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
What would cause high oil pressure in the heads? And why just from sitting?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
You need high pressure oil in the heads to fire the injectors. If the ipr is sticking, sometimes unplugging the icp will unstick the ipr. The ipr is on the back side of the high pressure oil pump, which is in front of the valley under the resevoir you filled up.

One more question, was the truck sitting outside for the last 4 years? If so, and what I said doesn't work, pull off the idm and shake it to see if there is water in it. I'll get a pic of the idm for ya too

This is a picture of the backside of the hpop (high pressure oil pump) without a fuel bowl in the valley. The ipr (injector pressure regulator) is the brass looking deal about in the center of the pic with a black plug on top of it. You don't need to do anything with this quite yet, just unplug the icp and crank and see what happens

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
You are being a big help guys!
Yea the truck has been outside with all the climate temp swings but how would water get in with the hood closed unless your saying humidity changes have created condensation to build up in it? But I will check in the am.
Question, If it has the famous under recall original crank shaft position sensor would it just fail from sitting? And would that be something to start with? I'm thinking yes, but correct me if I'm wrong or would it at least give me some smoke out the tail pipe.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by bigdaddys76
You are being a big help guys!
Yea the truck has been outside with all the climate temp swings but how would water get in with the hood closed unless your saying humidity changes have created condensation to build up in it? But I will check in the am.
Question, If it has the famous under recall original crank shaft position sensor would it just fail from sitting? And would that be something to start with? I'm thinking yes, but correct me if I'm wrong or would it at least give me some smoke out the tail pipe.
Best guess is no on the CPS. If it is bad then your TAC will not go up during cranking. I think it's very important to realize since the truck has been sitting you need good battery / starter combination. These diesels need a high RMP turn over (120 ++) for the PCM to fire the injectors. If you are use to gas engines where a turn over is chug .. chug the diesel will never start. There are so many posts on here were it was simply the starter not turning the motor over fast enough.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Very good point Jim.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Hear ya loud and clear, just picked up and put in the new 1125 c.c.a. bats this am and she turns over quick.
Now I failed to notice if the tac was moving but will observe in the am and will do all that was advised. Hopefully when I report back 2morrow it will be good news.

Quick Reply: another 95 P.S.D. wont start ?