Bought an OBS/steering rack Q?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
slowsnake
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought an OBS/steering rack Q?

Car Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming - ksl.com

I made a thread in the car buying advice section but got no replies before i left this am... no bother though i couldnt wait till monday to go look at it again so i drove up this afternoon to see the truck in the daylight. Looked just the same as the night before of course.

Couldnt get the guy to budge a nickel on price but i was willing to pay $6K. he wanted to wait till monday to find a replacement car but while i was there i talked him into going to the bank. long story short i drove her home today and am now a proud owner of my first PSD

take a look, tell me what you think, where should i start looking for trouble? im hesitant to sell my gas f150 too soon just incase this thing *****s the bed.

Also: new tie rod ends and ball joints but there is still quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. how would i go about tightening that up? thanks again

Old 03-13-2011, 08:37 AM
dbf74
Junior User
Welcome to the PSD world. Looks like a nice truck for the money. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just start driving the heck out of it, and if something seems wrong, post it. The people on here can, and will, help with pretty much anything.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could still be alot of things. You could tighten up the steering box. Could be the rag joint in the steering shaft and a few other things like the drag link and pittman arm. Id try tightening up the steering box. They are known to get worn out. Just be very careful not to tighten it too much. What I do is jack the truck up then while holding the allen screw on top of the steering box so I don't lose its position mark it too loosen the nut and tighten the allen screw a little at a time until you feel a little drag on steering wheel when you turn left to right at full lock with the truck off then loosen the allan screw a little so no drag is felt then tighten the nut. Congrats on the new truck!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
slowsnake
Freshman User
of all things i was worried about today i chose to get the radio working. there must be another fuse after the fuse panel. Previous owner pulled his good stereo out and put in an old CD player which wasnt working when i took the truck. I hooked up a known good unit and still no power. used multiple grounds and still no go and couldnt see another fuse anywhere behind the dash so i just ended up pulling power and ground from the cigar lighter. works like a champ now.

If i can get out of work before dark anytime this week im going to take a look at the steering box. it sounds like a pretty straight forward adjustment. speakin of adjustments is there an adjustment for throttle pedal play? haha ive got about 1/2 inch plus of play in the pedal. How about clutch linkage? i want to make sure the clutch is disengaging completely before i go thinking ive got some syncros going bad.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
slowsnake
Freshman User
Back from the dead..... But didnt want to start a new thread...

So i put the truck in storage while on this extremely short deployment, (no complaints there) and i would like some advice as to what to do before i turn the key and see if she starts.

since i knew the deployment wasnt going to be long i just pulled the battery terminals and put some seafoam in both tanks (which are full) The real worry is the 1400 mile drive back to MN within two weeks of returning home. What are some things i can do or look for to make sure the truck makes the trip with my car in tow!

The good news is i only have to make that trip one more time.....

Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With it having sat for that short a period, I would just check the fluid levels and then crank it up. If everything looks copacetic, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Depending on how long it has been since you had an oil change, I might do that before the long haul, get yourself some SCA test strips and check the SCA levels in the coolant (you may need to add some DCA additive) and maybe a fuel filter, but that's really not that long to have set without running.

Good luck, and thank you for your service. The rest of us state side owe you a debt of gratitude!!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM
slowsnake
Freshman User
appreciate it, it will still be another month until i get home but trying to get all my affairs in order now. Oil changes all around for my vehicles is on the list of "things to do." I will look at the fuel filter, not sure the last time it was done, as i just bought the truck.

Some rock tamers and tire swap is on the agenda as well. It came with an extra set of 37's and has 3.55's in the diff's, do you think that gearing will do alright towing a car and trailer cross country? Im planning on having atleast an extra cam position sensor in the glove box for the drive. anything else i might want to stock up on?

also any sercrets to a good start up after long sit? cycle glow plugs a few times? disconnect the relay or something so it wont try to fire right away? ????

Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Just check the fluids and start it. You don't need to do anything special. I used to leave my cars for deployments all the time. If they were still there when I got home I just got in and cranked them. I had two stolen and one stripped!!! They were locked in an on base storage room too so I hope you have better luck than me.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
slowsnake
Freshman User
My storage facility actually emailed me last month asking if i had changed my lock. my reply was of course NO! They replied with a picture of the lock which was not mine so i had a friend run over there and cut it off, make sure all my stuff was in that garage (i have 3 garages) and put different lock on it.

Luckily after 3 years and 3 deployments all my stuff has never gone missing. atleast not my truck in this case, not sure if he knew of everything i had in there, but who would want a bunch of mercury capri parts haha.

thanks for the replies, Just give 'er is what im gonna do! Just so happens to be my style.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I would have had heart failure. The first time it happened to me I had a really cherry 79 F100 with a trailer behind it holding a PERFECT 65 shelby GT 350. All my tools that I bought with my reenlistment bonus were in the back of the truck too. Talk about a bad day to come home. I hope all your stuff is ok in there. A friend of mine just got his storage room ripped off here too. It's about a mile from his home and he keeps his jeep in there and an old corvette along with all his tools. I think it was a 65 corvette. They only took his tools. He got lucky.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
slowsnake
Freshman User
Wow, i cant imagine the heart-ache coming home to that!!!
everything i own is in that storage facility divided between three untis but i dont have anything with that kind of cash value, if it had been the storage garage with my car in it i would have had a stroke, however!!! Lots of sentimental value there! luckily it was the one with my truck in it. It was a frustrating few days, trying to get ahold of someone to drive over there in coordination with the storage facility, none the less!!

My friend thought it was funny when he replied back to me with "everything looks to be there, but someone took a S**T on the hood of your truck" .... i assumed he was kidding.... God i hope he was kidding haha!

Whats the verdict on 37 inch tires 5spd manual and 3.55's towing a car with a uhaul type car trailer 1400miles? Think the gearing is a little to low? my only other option is some 35 inch tires on their last leg...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be fine with the 37's and 3.55's. Your gearing will be a little low, but the ZF5 you have is geared a little lower on 5th gear than th3 overdrive on an e4od anyway, so you should be fine. The car and trailer aren't all that heavy anyway compared to the weights these trucks are capable of tugging. The key is to downshift early and keep the turbo spooled on the hills. These trucks in stock form make their best power above 2000 RPM, so don't bog it down (keep your speed up) and you'll be fine. It's certainly not worth re-gearing and I don't think I would bother with replacing the other tires when they are still 35's. It won't make that big a difference between the 37's and the 35's.

You'll be just fine.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
You'll be ok power wise with those tires but I don't like towing with tall ones for another reason. We haul our horses all over the place and my truck and horse trailer all have the same tires. That's one advantage all by itself. I carry two spares. Also a blowout on a big one like a 37 is just not fun with any kind of trailer. Just something to think about. I'd recommend going down to 265's and saving a bunch of fuel. They will do that. That's about the biggest I feel safe with towing horses.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
slowsnake
Freshman User
I wish i could afford some skinnier tires for the trip home but i dont think i can, I keep searchin the classifieds for some but nothing as of yet. How many mpg's do you think ill gain going to 265's? trying to do some calculations because the fuel cost alone is going to be rediculous for a moving truck and the PSD both traveling 1400miles... ouch!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I've gotten 23 when the wind isn't blowing at 65. I average 20 mpg though. Last trip home from Dallas I only got 17 with a 30-50 mph head wind. That sucked! With my slide in camper and horse trailer loaded, almost 20,000 pounds the worst it has ever gotten is 12 mpg. That was driving in the mountains. I can't imagine yours could be worse than that with the big tires. You have to wonder about the accuracy of your speedometer too. It's able to be calibrated but be careful. I think you can only change it 6 times. No telling how many times it's already been done. I got a scan guage 2 from autozone in my truck. It also shows speed and you can adjust the offset on it as many times as you want for different tires. It was only about 150 bucks and shows EOT, MPH, RPM, Injector PW, High pressure oil pressure and lots more. It's pretty handy for trips like that. It does not get codes on powerstrokes though. It's supposed to but it doesn't on either of mine. Still working on that. Oh it also has three different trip counters I think. You only have one on the factory speedo. This comes in handy for us since we do so much business travel and need to keep track of different legs of a trip.

Quick Reply: Bought an OBS/steering rack Q?