General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Piscataway woman killed by hit-and-run driver after trying to rescue hurt dog

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piscataway woman killed by hit-and-run driver after trying to rescue hurt dog

This is the kinda crap that gives us truck owners a bad name.

Piscataway woman killed by hit-and-run driver after trying to rescue hurt dog | NJ.com

FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP — A Piscataway woman died earlier today from injuries sustained when she was hit by a truck while trying to help a wounded dog on a road in Somerset County, police said.

Franklin Township police Sgt. Philip Rizzo said Tiffany Jantelle, 23, had suffered a serious head injury and was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick.

The dog had to be euthanized because of a broken back it suffered in a collision earlier that night, Rizzo said.

Jantelle was struck around 1 a.m. today on Weston Canal Road, near Randolph Road. She was one of several people who were trying to help the dog, Rizzo said.

Jantelle was hit by a black Dodge pickup truck that briefly stopped before fleeing north, witnesses told police. The truck, believed to be either a 2500 or 3500 series, had a lift kit and twin chrome vertical exhaust pipes behind the cab, Rizzo said.

Two men were in the truck, witnesses said.

Anyone with information is asked to call Franklin Police Officer Richard Hartnett at (732) 873-5533, ext. 3168, or the Somerset County Crime Stoppers TIPS line at (888) 577-TIPS (8477).

Here's a post from a friend of the witness above that has more info that didn't make it in the story.
THIS HAPPENED IN JERSEY

A few days ago a dark colored (maybe black) dodge cummins hit and killed a 23 year old girl who was very close friends with some of my friends. One of my friends witnessed the truck hit her and drag her while she was trying to rescue a wounded dog that was in the middle of the road. After he hit her he got out of his truck and had the nerve to say "get the ***** out of the road".. this all happened around 1AM on Canal road heading to New Brunswick.

If anyone knows who drives a dark colored 94-2002 dodge cummins that had a significant lift, chrome stacks, (maybe) murdered out, with round off road lights in the front in the tri-state area, it would mean the world to me if you sent me an email at burtonkid29@aim.com

The driver was reported to be a short stocky kid with spiked hair while the passenger had his head shaved.

The truck is probably being parted out right now so if any of you see a bunch of cummins parts being sold in the tri state area, send me the link. or he could be hiding it. so if any of you are wheelin and see an abandoned cummins in the woods in or around jersey report it and shoot me an email

I dont care if he is your friend or not, he took the life of a young beautiful girl who was trying to save an injured dog. If you do know him, suggest to him that he turns himself in before we find out who he is..

Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
"Here's a post from a friend of the witness above that has more info that didn't make it in the story."
it did not make it into the story because it was never said.

2 cars driving down the road, the girl that was hit was in the second car.
the first car hit the dog, and they stopped. the girl got out of the second car and went to see about helping the dog. her boyfriend was standing in the road, and saw the truck coming. he tried to wave the truck down, and jumped out of the way just before he was hit. the girl only took one step before getting run over. the drunk driver of the truck stopped,and he and his passenger got out.
they looked at the girl in the road, said "we are in deep trouble", and ran back to the truck and took off.
the driver of the other car and the boyfriend described the driver of the truck as short and muscular with close-cropped light brown hair and a black T-shirt with bright graphics

Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"This is the kinda crap that gives us truck owners a bad name".

Seems like you have little faith in your fellow truckers. I don't think anyone on this forum would harbor a drunk driver, involved in a fatal hit & run just because they are both truck lovers. If anything, this guy will be brought to justice that much faster because a truck like that doesn't escape the notice of guys like us. He will be found.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM
fireball 440
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't condone what those guys did in any way but WTF get out of the ****ing road. It's 1 am, its dark, and higher probability of drunk drivers. Use your head and stay alive. She's no smarter than the dog. Truck coming - move out of way? or stay and hope he stops in time?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fireball 440
I don't condone what those guys did in any way but WTF get out of the ****ing road. It's 1 am, its dark, and higher probability of drunk drivers. Use your head and stay alive. She's no smarter than the dog. Truck coming - move out of way? or stay and hope he stops in time?

Wow..........

Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TJC, you know if anyone sat down with a sketch artist or anything? Sounds like you know more about it.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM
fireball 440
Elder User
Originally Posted by Eatonpcat
Wow..........
What would you do? Stay in the road or move out of the way?

I wouldn't have pulled over in the first place for a dead animal in the middle of the road in the dead of night. Common sense on both sides and none of this would have ever happened.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
The dog wasn't dead.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The guy was driving drunk and left the scene of an accident. Eliminate those 2 factors and chances are he would not have even been cited. As it is, his lack of judgment overshadows hers. No winners emerge from this unfortunate event.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
jesus chirst!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
without any knowledge of the road or even the area, you make a statement like this?

Originally Posted by smotrs
TJC, you know if anyone sat down with a sketch artist or anything? Sounds like you know more about it.
yes, car both drivers, who were the girls boyfriend and her best friend.
it happened about 15 miles from me, on a road i am very familiar with.
unfortunately, most people think just because it is a country road with very few houses on it, you can disregard the 30 mph speed limit and do 60+.

I wouldn't have pulled over in the first place for a dead animal in the middle of the road in the dead of night. Common sense on both sides and none of this would have ever happened.
the dog was not dead, and she was in the car behind the one that hit it.
she was trying to get it out of the road when the drunk driver came speeding down the road and ran her over.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well my friend...Being that I have a heart (something that you don't appear to possess), I most likely would have been trying to help the dog and would have been in danger of being run down also! Common Sense... If I say what I want, I fear this thread will be closed.

Sorry, I won't post in this thread again.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
and more on the subject.
i put in a 16 hour day yesterday and did not talk to anyone until this morning.
the driver was arrested last night at his home in Pennsylvania, where they went after the incident. he was identified after the passenger called the police on Tuesday.
and they were not in a dodge diesel, they were in a 99 Ford F-250.
he will not be charged with DUI because there is no proof. but he is being charged with leaving the scene of a MVA resulting in death, which is a felony here in New Jersey.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
This is sad.....

Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Well it looks like one of the two had a conscience. I'm glad they got the guy.

Quick Reply: Piscataway woman killed by hit-and-run driver after trying to rescue hurt dog