1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

BUILD THREAD: Bringing a '76 back from the dead (Pic. Heavy 56K BEWARE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUILD THREAD: Bringing a '76 back from the dead (Pic. Heavy 56K BEWARE)

I recently purchased my grandpa's 1976 F-150 after he passed. He used it as a farm truck up until around November 2010 when the engine caught fire. Right now I'm in the process of stripping all the interior and engine bay area. On to some pics..

Picking it up from my grandma:

My friend trying to figure out where all the damn bolts were:

Most of the interior gone:

Trying to assess the damage:

Removed some of the mess in the engine bay:

Tucked away in it's new home after hours of cleaning the garage out for the year:

I know this will be a long process full of blood, sweat, and tears. All of the above have already been invested into the project so far besides the tears, but I still have faith that they will be shed at some point. Being a college student, my time is limited, but I look forward to customizing this truck to fit my style.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
She's a beaut!! Glad you could keep her in the family. Looks like there was an engine fire at some time...hope it's not to far gone! Also I notice this is your first post. Welcome to FTE!! There's lots of great people and tons of knowledge around here!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Good save, keep it in the family. I really wish I could have gotten my dad's old truck, but he sold it back in the 90's and I have never seen it again.

Looks like one heck of a truck. You'll have it back runnin in due time.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 AM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
Thanks. Although I know it's not most people's choice of style, here's a bit of inspiration for me:

I'm not looking to be able to lay frame to pavement, but the idea is to get super low with solid dish wheels.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I see nothing wrong with your inspiration. Build it to suit YOU. You will get opinions when you ask for them (and some times even when you don't), but who cares, it's your truck.

I recently sold my 2wd 68 F-100 short box. I hated getting rid of it, but it was time, 3" drop in the front and 5" drop in the rear. It would have been a sweet ride if I had ever finished it.

Good luck on your build.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
Sounds like a nice truck an you got a good start on it & glad to see it is being kept in the family.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
Got a bit further with the tear down this weekend.

Front clip removed:

A/C out completely. (It was a pain in the *** since all the plastic was melted around the firewall. I ended up having to kick it out.):

Dash and wiring all out:

Close up of the engine:

Next weekend I should have the motor pulled so we can see if it's even worth rebuilding or not. Other than that I've been researching for other parts like distributor, alternator, master cylinder, etc..

Old 06-26-2011, 08:48 PM
97oneton
Senior User
exterior looks good,just fix under hood and interior and you should have a nice truck

Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
Paint looks good for a truck that caught fire.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
FRANKINTRUCK
Senior User
Glad they got that fire out pretty quick would have been a shame to lose such a nice truck. Good Luck with it

Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
Hello
Looks like that engine wasnt too badly burnt. It hasnt melted the carb, so should be quite savable.

Corey

Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 AM
xaq208
New User
Beatifully straight frame. I'm a little jealous

Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
I need a little help from yall. I'm trying to decide what to buy ignition-wise since the motor hasn't been looked at yet and motor parts are irrelevant right now.

I saw this kit on jegs: MSD Ignition 8595K MSD Ready-To-Run Ignition Kits. It's the ready-to-run, but for the high price, I'm sure I could find something cheaper. I don't necessarily need a billet dizzy, so I'm wondering what would be a good suggestion for one. There's so many out there, and I'm just not sure what exactly I should be looking for spec wise.

Also what is HEI about? I've been reading posts, and not sure what the whole duraspark thing is about either. Hope yall can clear these two things up for me.

Lastly, would the blaster 2 coil be a good buy?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM
quadrazer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kelsey_kaye
I need a little help from yall. I'm trying to decide what to buy ignition-wise since the motor hasn't been looked at yet and motor parts are irrelevant right now.

I saw this kit on jegs: MSD Ignition 8595K MSD Ready-To-Run Ignition Kits. It's the ready-to-run, but for the high price, I'm sure I could find something cheaper. I don't necessarily need a billet dizzy, so I'm wondering what would be a good suggestion for one. There's so many out there, and I'm just not sure what exactly I should be looking for spec wise.

Also what is HEI about? I've been reading posts, and not sure what the whole duraspark thing is about either. Hope yall can clear these two things up for me.

Lastly, would the blaster 2 coil be a good buy?
HEI is High Energy Ignition. Do you need it? It depends on what you plan to build the engine to do. If you are looking for a close to stock engine, maybe with a few performance upgrades, a nice high energy aftermarket coil and a good set of wires would most likely do the trick for a stock dizzy setup. You don't need a billet distributor, but they are nice. I think you really need to decide on what you plan to do with your motor, before you spend money on your ignition setup.

A good ignition system is usually selected based on what you expect to get out of your engine. But if the engine is stock...it's easy to go overkill with things you don't really need.

Nice truck! Welcome to FTE!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
If the motor is salvageable, the most that would happen is a mild bore, bolt on performance parts, and cam. Just something to give it some more grunt, but definitely nothing extreme/overkill. My daily is a 350z so I don't need something to really have to get up and go.

Forgot to add, since everything is burned up anyway. I figured I might as well upgrade some things, but once again, nothing too extreme. Something just a bit better than stock, if actually needed.

Quick Reply: BUILD THREAD: Bringing a '76 back from the dead (Pic. Heavy 56K BEWARE)