1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Chirping under hood, may be A/C unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 AM
lacurra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chirping under hood, may be A/C unit

A couple of weeks ago I towed a camper for the first time with my truck, it is a 2000 F-150 with a 4.6 V8, and when I got to where I was going, the truck was making an strange noise, it was kind of like a scrapping sound. Someone told me that it was probably the pullies so i changed the tensioner and the idler pulleys and that took care of the scrapping sound but then there was a chirping sound when the A/C was on that would stop as soon as I turned the A/C off. Now if you turn the A/C on it no only chirps but it also doesn't seem to blow cold air.

I suppose my question is, does anyone know what needs to be changed? I've heard it may be the clutch but would it be the whole clutch or should I start with something else. Just kind of trying to figure out what I'm in for here.

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
MakeShift
New User
Originally Posted by lacurra
A couple of weeks ago I towed a camper for the first time with my truck, it is a 2000 F-150 with a 4.6 V8, and when I got to where I was going, the truck was making an strange noise, it was kind of like a scrapping sound. Someone told me that it was probably the pullies so i changed the tensioner and the idler pulleys and that took care of the scrapping sound but then there was a chirping sound when the A/C was on that would stop as soon as I turned the A/C off. Now if you turn the A/C on it no only chirps but it also doesn't seem to blow cold air.

I suppose my question is, does anyone know what needs to be changed? I've heard it may be the clutch but would it be the whole clutch or should I start with something else. Just kind of trying to figure out what I'm in for here.

Thanks for your help guys.
I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4L which had a similar problem recently. I replaced the AC compressor pully / clutch. I purchased it as a kit from the local Ford dealer. It includes the compressor pulley, clutch, and the clutch field coil. There is a core charge which is refunded so save the old parts.
Hope this helps.
Pete.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
Sounds like the clutch got dinged either by work being done for some other reason, or maybe a rock kicking up in there. The clutch sounds like its only hitting in a small portion of its total surface. Check the air gap ( engine off ) between the clutch and the pulley. Should be about the same all around, and at least .035". Also, make sure it does at least partially engage and spin with the air on. This will at least tell you that it is getting power OK.

Advance has the Ford clutch kit also, about $98.00. You get everything you need, except the tool to hold the clutch while you loosen the center bolt, but you can probably make something that will do that, just don't bend the new clutch when you put that bolt back in.

Dave

Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM
lacurra
New User
how difficult was that to replace? also, do you happen to remember about what it cost to by the parts? thanks for the help btw.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM
lacurra
New User
Originally Posted by Dave G.
Sounds like the clutch got dinged either by work being done for some other reason, or maybe a rock kicking up in there. The clutch sounds like its only hitting in a small portion of its total surface. Check the air gap ( engine off ) between the clutch and the pulley. Should be about the same all around, and at least .035". Also, make sure it does at least partially engage and spin with the air on. This will at least tell you that it is getting power OK.

Advance has the Ford clutch kit also, about $98.00. You get everything you need, except the tool to hold the clutch while you loosen the center bolt, but you can probably make something that will do that, just don't bend the new clutch when you put that bolt back in.

Dave
great, i'll check on that tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
MakeShift
New User
Originally Posted by lacurra
how difficult was that to replace? also, do you happen to remember about what it cost to by the parts? thanks for the help btw.
It wasn't too difficult. As Dave pointed out, you will have to figure out a way to hold the clutch from turning when you remove the centre bolt. I used a square shaft screwdriver and wedged it across the triangular extrusions on the clutch. I managed to get everything off without using pullers. I used a soft faced hammer and small pry bar to work the pulley and field coil off the shaft. There is a snap ring holding the pulley on so a pair of snap ring pliers would make the job a lot easier.
Pete.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
When you pull the clutch off, try not to lose the little washers that will fall out from the back side of the clutch. They are the shims that set the air gap between the clutch and the pulley. Buy a pack maybe, just in case.

Dave

Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM
lacurra
New User
i just checked the engine and the clutch isn't even moving when i turn on the a/c, so it looks like it needs to be replaced. should i just buy the clutch set or do i need to by the whole compressor and everything? the air still worked when the noise started so i'm inclined to think it's just the clutch but am a novice at this stuff.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
Before you buy anything, unplug the 2 wire harness connector from the compressor. Sort of hard to get at, but it's on the top passenger side of the compressor, and the connector is attached to the clutch. With a volt meter inserted ( two test wires, red & black ), have the volt meter laying under the front of the truck, keep wires out of the pulley & fan area, start the truck, turn the air on to max/ac. Should have battery voltage showing. If so, replace the clutch. If not check owner manual for fuse & relay locations and check them. Repair as required until you get voltage at the harness, then attach back on the connector and see if the air works. If not, replace the clutch.

Sometimes, with battery voltage to the harness connection, and still no clutch engagement, another symptom will be an excessively hot relay for the A/C. If so replace the clutch.

Dave