1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

"New" truck owner, open to suggestions. 1960 F100 292 V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Team Portly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New" truck owner, open to suggestions. 1960 F100 292 V8

So, I just got my grandfathers old truck from my dad up to my house. It's a 1960 F100 styleside with a 292 V8 in it. First off... I know nothing about vehicles. Now that that's out of the way, I need ideas.

Sure, I know "this is your truck you can do what ever you want with it". But that's not what I'm looking to hear. The truck itself is in good condition (no spots rusting through just superficial rust). Haven't started it yet and hasn't been started in probably near 25 years. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much to get going though.

So anyway, I had all of these "crazy" ideas of what to do with the truck, but after the tow truck operator dropped it off up here my ideas have kind of changed. I was looking into putting a lot of work into it and turning it into a hot rod. The operator said he wouldn't touch the thing. Basically just clean it up and get it running; no paint, etc. He said "it's a survivor" and I wouldn't want to screw that up! Now I'm considering doing that. I need to change out the transmission (to automatic) no matter what as I cannot drive standard (medical reasons). And I REALLY want it to go fast so a new engine as well. But other than that I'm not sure whether to keep it "as is" or do the hot rod deal to it. And then not sure what engine and tranny to put in.

I'm just really looking forward to hearing all of your ideas. I'm sure I'll leave more confused than I was when I got here but I'm totally ok with that.

Thanks. Here are some of the pictures.

Attached Images        
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the orphanage and congrats on you truck. My vote is get her running and she will tell you how she wants to be. Things you think are important today might not be tomorrow so take your time and get that ole girl running and stopping.
Most important is to make it safe for not only you but ppl around you on the road.
Have fun..

Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Danleig
Senior User
First off I agree with the tow truck driver, I've never seen one of these original trucks in such nice shape. At a minimum they need floor and/or corner rust repair and it looks like you don't need any of that, so you've got a fantastic starting point.

"Go fast" and "stock automatic" are mutually exclusive IMO, so it looks like you'll need a more modern auto trans. With the time and money you'd spend hopping up the Y-block motor and mating up a new trans you'd honestly be better off swapping out the engine and trans as a complete unit. I went with a built 460 but you don't have to go crazy with big cubic inches, a small block will be plenty. Your choices are very broad, but most people here would prefer to keep it all Ford.

If I was building it right now, I'd go late-model Mustang GT engine and trans and swap out the gears in that beautiful 9" rear end. You can tune that engine for over 400 HP without breaking a sweat, with reliability and ease of maintenance way up there.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Danleig
Senior User
LOL, "Schneewittchen" translates to "Snow White!"

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Team Portly
New User
Thanks for all of the info!! Huge help. I haven't been this excited about something in a long time. And yes, "schneewittchen" is what my grandpa named it when he got it back in the early 70's.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 PM
GeeeMCeee
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I second the congrats on your new truck, especially because of the family connection. Since you asked for input......I would suggest since the body looks pretty decent to leave it as it is and not spend a bunch on shiny paint and chrome. I have had too many trucks that I was afraid to really use because they might get a scratch or someone might roll a shopping cart into it. The trucks I have enjoyed the most were in a more "natural" state. One was painted with a roller and a brush. How are the tires? I've put some good used ones on until I really knew what I wanted, and was able to drive for over a year until my plan was more developed. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
that has to stay on truck! first thing that caught my eye

I agree with trying to get truck running with what you have in it now...check/rebuild brakes, and enjoy-really great looking truck. The search feature REALLY helps and I found this article to be really helpful as well

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...0-ford-trucks/

lots of great guys to help you out on here and you have made us all happy with pictures right out of the gate

Joe

Originally Posted by Team Portly
Thanks for all of the info!! Huge help. I haven't been this excited about something in a long time. And yes, "schneewittchen" is what my grandpa named it when he got it back in the early 70's.

Last edited by Maltman; 07-30-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Team Portly
New User
Thanks all. Looking forward to the process.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my thoughts here - how fast is fast? Back in the mid 70s I had a 60 F100 4x4 as a daily driver. 223 six though. At speeds much above 65 (it would do it with the engine screaming) it was a handfull to keep on the straight and narrow unless the road was perfectly smooth. I always felt it was due to the kingpin angle and caster angle of the front axle being built in to make it easier to steer with the manual steering. The more modern front axle setups with power steering have less agressive settings to make travel at speed easier.

If you want speed and power with it being easy to drive, you will have to make more than a few changes.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is what you might start with:

Based on your comment that you need an automatic transmission and want a new motor. I suggest a modern setup with a 302 with and auto trany. It will accelerate like a more modern car, so does that meet drive fast?? I think it will drive fairly fast but not crazy fast and the gas mileage would be "reasonable". Lots of 302 set ups around with for minimal $$$.

I also suggest that you put disc brakes on the front and add a power booster.

I would also add a Toyota power steering kit.

After that you would have a cool looking original old truck, with a reasonable engine and trany, power brakes and power steering.

Then you can do stuff like: add AC, a cool stereo, modern seat with seat belts...etc.....

Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Great looking original truck there and welcome to the forum! I got my Grandpa's 57 F100 that he had since 1971 earlier this year, so I know how special your truck is to you. I agree with your tow guy on keeping it original as you can (My tow guy liked my truck alot as well, even wanted a pic of it! LOL!), however, I think the mods mentioned above would be ok (302 would be a nice swap). Whatever way of having it that will give you the most enjoyment is what you need to do. For me, I am keeping mine stock, but adding a few performance and safety mods to it. Again, it is what you want that matters. Good Luck with the project and keep us updated!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:42 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would ad power steering, power brakes, A 4 speed auto and leave the y block in it. With a rear gear change and a few added ponys to the engine when ya overhaul it she will be as good as any 302. But I just luv me a Y block I do. They sound so much better than a 302 also. Check out Y Blocks Forever on line. John is the go to man.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
any updates?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:27 AM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple of suggestions here(if things aren't already changed out and it's not too late)
Power brakes are a super easy conversion with a 88 ish dodge truck master/booster combo. Practically a bolt on just have to elongate a couple of the mounting holes on the firewall a bit to make it fit on. just make sure you have all the hyd. fittings lined up ready to go to move the brake lite switch and all. my conversion took less than 2 hrs.
Allllso....When changing to a auto trans, It'll likely be easier to track down a auto column out of a car of the same era. with some minor mods it can be made to easily work. ANnnnd....Won't look ugly like a modern fat auto column unit.

Mikie
Near ottawa Canada
58 m-100 panel & 64 econoline p/u

Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 PM
baumst
Junior User
My old truck came with a marginal paint job and a new interior someone did way back.

The radiator blew two months in.

I had to re gasket the valve cover and oil pan. I had to get a new valve cover. I had to replace wheel bearings, a clutch, a pinion seal, an exhaust gasket, shocks, and I put disc brakes in.

Just dropped in a carb. I rewired the headlights and then found a brand new switch...

Basically rebuilding stock... This old truck is as reliable as my wife's new Jetta...

What cracks me up is the Schneewittchen on the front... You can't change that... I have a faded and torn NRA sticker in my wing window. All the glass has bubbles and the metal is all patina. I wouldn't change it for the world! Neither should Schneewittchen

Quick Reply: "New" truck owner, open to suggestions. 1960 F100 292 V8