Sponsored by: Moser

New Dent Owner - 1976 F-250 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kelsey_kaye
that red and black interior is pretty sexy.
Believe it or not, from the pictures, I was not sure if I was going to like the bright red interior. I'm more of a darker color kinda guy. I'm sure it'll grow on me once I actually get to see it for myself though. I have enough spare parts on hand to convert it to black on black. I would only do that if I saved and stashed all the red components, so that it could be changed back to factory at a later date. Gotta love options......

Originally Posted by Rojak
Congrats on the new old truck. Looks very solid. The smile on your son's face says it all. He might already be getting the addiction!
I think you hit the nail on the head there my friend. All I have to tell him when he's act'n a fool, "is that only big boys that act right get to ride in Daddy's new truck". I'll tell you what, he straightens right up, quick like.
I'd say he's hooked.

Originally Posted by hog creek work truck
nice truck
Thank you sir.

I am SOOOOO ready to get home. Tomorrow evening is taking way too long to get here.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I got home and imediately checked out the truck and my wife handed me the kees and said "fire it up". It starts and runs decent. The idle is a little low and the carb needs some work, The power steering gear box is leaking out of the pressure hose port and the input shaft seal, and the rear main is letting a bit of oil by too. Nothing real major. I would like to put the propper high pressure hose on the power steering, the one that is on there is real short and looks to be for a different year of truck. I gave the truck a bath and put a used set of 1996 F250 wheels and tires on it. The old bias/radial tire combo had to go.

Well, back in the saddle at work for another couple weeks.

Here's a few pics.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:33 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I guess I'll bring this thread back out of the cobwebs...

After driving the truck around during the Fall of 2011 and the complete Summer of 2012, she is finally going to get some love this summer.

List of "To Do's":

Replace front seal onthe power steering gearbox.
Replace the heater core and blower motor.
Mount a different carb up using the Trans-Dapt 2199 adapter (4350 to squarebore).

For the carb, I will either be using an Autolite 4100 (1.12) or a Road Demon Jr 625 cfm.

One thing I noticed towards the end of last summer and didn't have a chance to look into was with the transmission.

The truck has a C6 Auto and it was like there was a delay from the time I shifted into Drive and when the truck actually wanted to start moving. I did check the fluid level before I parked it for the winter and it looked good.

I may drop the pan this spring and add a transmission service to the list above just for good measures.

Anyone else had this problem? If so, what fixed it.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I missed this thread the first go around, that sheet metal looks pristine, nice rig! if only it were a 4x4

Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be a few problems, you deffinately did the right thing pull the dip stick and checking your fluid. Was it dark and did it smell burnt at all? Most likely you just need a fluid and filter change no biggy, but it could be clutches wearing down, could be some gunk in the valve body. If it was me I'd just drop the pan throw on a shift kit, change the fluid and filter and call 'er done. About 50 or 60 bucks. And this nice thing about the shift kit is not only will you better shifts performance wise, but they are great for towing and actually help with longevity on your tranny.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
looks good, who did you buy it off of?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
I missed this thread the first go around, that sheet metal looks pristine, nice rig! if only it were a 4x4
The body is in pretty good shape, but not quite perfect. Pretty darn good for Alaska though.
That's what this one is for .

Originally Posted by MikePacey
It could be a few problems, you deffinately did the right thing pull the dip stick and checking your fluid. Was it dark and did it smell burnt at all? Most likely you just need a fluid and filter change no biggy, but it could be clutches wearing down, could be some gunk in the valve body. If it was me I'd just drop the pan throw on a shift kit, change the fluid and filter and call 'er done. About 50 or 60 bucks. And this nice thing about the shift kit is not only will you better shifts performance wise, but they are great for towing and actually help with longevity on your tranny.
I don't recall any real bad color or smell. I have smelt nasty transmission fluid and this was by no means that bad.

Good point on the shift kit. Is Trans-Go still the "go to" brand for these?

Originally Posted by b-uno
looks good, who did you buy it off of?
I can't remember his name, but he was a local guy about 2 minutes from my house. Because of where he lives and not driving the truck much, I had no idea it was even there. Just saw it on craigslist. The wife went and looked at it for me, she said she liked it, so she bought it for me.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
man looks like your on the north side of the eagle river road there?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
man looks like your on the north side of the eagle river road there?
Correct.

My In-Laws live back there and my Fater-In-Law lets me use his shop. I take him up on the offer quite often. The truck stays up there at this point.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
The body is in pretty good shape, but not quite perfect. Pretty darn good for Alaska though.
That's what this one is for .
Nice rig! I like the slots

Do they use salt up there? chemical de-icer? cinders? gravel? you don't seem to have the rust issues they have back east.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Nice rig! I like the slots

Do they use salt up there? chemical de-icer? cinders? gravel? you don't seem to have the rust issues they have back east.
Thanks, you have a nice rig as well!

Mostly chemical de-icers now. This is a body off of a 2wd that had been sitting for quite some time. Se definately has some rust issues, but not too bad. Good enough for the girls I date. (shhhh, just dont tell my wife )

Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
Good enough for the girls I date. (shhhh, just dont tell my wife )
It's not your fault, girls just like 'ol Fords

Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
the reason it looks good is in the municipality of anchroage area they didnt use anything other then sand and gravel up untill a couple years ago, now they are using harsher things, and we will see our vehicles pay for it in the next 10 years.

i had a 77.5 f250 that didnt have a single rust hole in it, it was the citys waste water utility truck, and was driving for the company since it was new in 78

Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
the reason it looks good is in the municipality of anchroage area they didnt use anything other then sand and gravel up untill a couple years ago, now they are using harsher things, and we will see our vehicles pay for it in the next 10 years.

i had a 77.5 f250 that didnt have a single rust hole in it, it was the citys waste water utility truck, and was driving for the company since it was new in 78
The county i live in uses sand, gravel and cinders....but the county "officials" are considering switching to a chemical de-icer, that crap plays havoc on aluminum wheels.

Sorry for hijack OP....back to regular programming

Old 03-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
ya they use that stuff here now. bad stuff. stays in your body seams all summer even, no real washing it out, unless you take interior out and hose it out, then you gotta make sure your water is soft too...

Quick Reply: New Dent Owner - 1976 F-250 2wd