General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Possible end to ethanol fuel blend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 AM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible end to ethanol fuel blend?

Mmmmm.... could be.

$5 billion ethanol subsidy loses big vote - Politics - msnbc.com

The oil company gets $.45 a gal to put ethanol in? And they're charging me dang near $4/gal? I'm all for the end of that jackpot for the most profitable business in the world.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Good..........

Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 AM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Hooray for better gas mileage.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think your reading this right. They want to end the subsidy , NOT the mandate to use ethanol. Which means any costs currently picked up by subsidies will be passed on at the pump, meaning higher fuel prices. I think they should eliminate the mandate itself, the whole ethanol thing is smoke and mirrors. It decreases milage and results in higher fuel consumption, and doest NOT reduce greenhouse gasses. In addition we end up paying more for food.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Skill_Kills
Senior User
ending the subsidy will eventually end the ethanol plants IMO. All i want is the price of corn to drop so im all for it

Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The bulk of the money is going to the ethanol plants themselves. Ethanol should have never been subsidized period, just like electric cars, solar panels, wind turbines and etc should never have been subsidized. IF the subsidies do go away we will see just how viable and cost effective ethanol production is here in the US.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigOutdoors
Mmmmm.... could be.

$5 billion ethanol subsidy loses big vote - Politics - msnbc.com

The oil company gets $.45 a gal to put ethanol in? And they're charging me dang near $4/gal? I'm all for the end of that jackpot for the most profitable business in the world.
Most profitable as in what terms? Sheer volume, or margin?

If you look at volume, then yes. If you look at margin... not even close. Oil companies don't really make large profits, in terms of percentage. They appear to make large profits because of the volume of sales.

Originally Posted by dkf
The bulk of the money is going to the ethanol plants themselves. Ethanol should have never been subsidized period, just like electric cars, solar panels, wind turbines and etc should never have been subsidized. IF the subsidies do go away we will see just how viable and cost effective ethanol production is here in the US.
Oil and coal are also subsidized. Most energy sources are subsidized one way or another - "green" or not.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Like it or not, ethanol in gasoline is mandated by the government. That mandate isn't likely to go away. Which means that the companies will pay the whole price for the ethanol, not the subsidized price, and pass the rest of the cost on to the consumer at the pump.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:55 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
They are also ending the tariffs on imported ethanol, so the price of ethanol shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not sure if the local plants can keep producing when the bottom falls out of the ethanol market.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
That reminds me the story about GM electric cars that were only leased and never sold to the users. At the end of the leases GM collected all the cars and discontinued the model, saying that it cost them about $3 million each in design and small production cost.
I dumped gasoline cars in California years ago, since we had lot of alcohol and other junk in the stuff they sell at gas pumps for years. The cars would make 30 mpg on gas from easter states and 24 mpg on CA stuff. Some mechanics say that you will be lucky seeing CA gasoline burning if you drop a lighted match in it.
I am really fed with all the stuff mandated by government here. What happens to "free economy" in USA ? I can't even buy a beer on West Coast that would have more than 3.5 % of alcohol in it. Soon government will interfere with toilet paper we are using.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Gordon-0
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I can't even buy a beer on West Coast that would have more than 3.5 % of alcohol in it.
seriously!?!?!?!
WTF!!!

i love my trippels with 12.5% ABV
whats their reasoning behind this?

wait, i got it.
they are trying to make sure all the alcohol goes into the gas not the beer hahahaha

Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to GNAC.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
This is the regulation that was never made public. I started investigating it after moving to CA, where I can drink 14 Heinekens and be sober. Now I check the beer bottles for alcohol note. None bought in CA, OR, WA has it listed, meaning it is max 3.5% per my checking.
Small local breweries are exempt, so I buy Sierra Nevada if I want to get in good mode

Old 07-03-2011, 03:38 AM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
I really wish it would end. Every time the season changes where we have to use the mixture.....our gas mileage goes down.