2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer has had 3 weeks for speedo

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM
kirk shonk
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealer has had 3 weeks for speedo

okay here it is i had a pcm replaced for no power on acceleration a few months back on our E350 motorhome. now a new problem on our way to florida ran great 340 miles on our way back about 100 miles into the trip
turned cruis control on set at 70 mph and after a few minutes the speedo
started to go grazy, o/d light started flashing and ses light came on seem to drive fine though. so get home replace vss and try it speedo dead
take and reconnect it again great working fine. know the fun begins
on our way to florida again about 60 miles into the trip and speedo goes
crazy o/d flashing ses light comes on so we find a dealer and they replaced the oss told me test drive seemed fine payed the bill off we went
20 minutes down the road yep happens again. now were in a traffic jam
and the dam thing starts pulling hard left im like WTF flat tire now ?
finaly get off and the left front caliper has locked down. so we let it cool down hear it pop and free up. so back to the dealer we go pulling over
a few times for caliper to free up. so now we have to replace calipers rotors & pads, they reset the pcm and say try that $1000.00 later so at this point we decided to go home wwere broke now no vacation.
then....... yep you guessed it speedo goes crazy o/d light flashing but no ses light this time get about 30 miles from the house and it starts working fine go figure. so i looked at some grounds and found the trans range sensor leaking so off to the dealer to have them check and fix well its been goin on 3 weeks and still no fix talked to the technician on friday
he said took about 40 minutes before it acted up and the oss losses
signal but the trange range sensor is reading fine ? i would of thought the range sensor would be shorting out due to trans fluid in connector so they have not reccommended replacement of that yet but they were talking about wraping the oss wire ? i guess for a short. that was friday it is now wednesday so i call for a status update and the service advisor says
we dont know anything yet what the hell kinda answer is that.
well that's my story any help would be GREAT !!!
thanks kirk

Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,089 Likes on 4,179 Posts
Sounds like a frustrating set of circumstances. Sorry your vacation was ruined!!!

My guess is that the dealership is telling you the truth...they just don't know. Often times when conversions are made...the conversion companies cause issues when routing wiring...they get pinched...or crushed. Be patient.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
kirk shonk
New User
i dont know how to post this in the correct area of heavy trucks it's a 2000 E350 cutaway
6.8 litre v10 hope someone will see with the same expeience on speedo trouble

Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
Might have a short to ground on the wiring harness for the trans where it runs over the top of the bell housing. Some of these trucks had a problem w/ chaffing on the trans casing.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM
kirk shonk
New User
thanks for the heads up i'll let the technician know that.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM
kirk shonk
New User
so the ford dealer calls me this morning says they overlayed the oss wire and the problem still exists so now they want to overlay a couple more wires at the cost of a couple hundred dollars before they condem the computer again that was replaced in january
here is the kicker he said the computer they put in was a NAPA computer and it only had a 90 day warranty and that i would be liable for that. WTF they didn't even tell me it wasn't a motorcraft computer or that the warranty was only 90 days. i have also told them at time of drop off a month ago that the trans range swith was full of trans fluid and they have not even priced that out yet my guess would be that could be shorting stuff out. well what do you all think.
thanks kirk

Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
With all the electronics of today's vehicles would it have been possible you drove too close to the Bermuda Triangle???

In regards to the NAPA computer that is his problem. Ford is very specific about using the correct parts right down to the correct spark plugs, i.e. Motorcraft, or you could void your warranty. The correct OEM computer is Motorcraft making the NAPA a non OEM computer. A dealer would never see the end of me if they replaced anything in a car that was not OEM unless they first called me and laid out all the facts. If I am not party to the decision then the full responsibility for the consequences of the decision fall on the person who made it unilaterally.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
kirk shonk
New User
Thumbs down Ford dealer what a joke

okay it is over a month know and i had told them we were gonna need the vehicle back for the weekend of the 4 th of july. so ford calls yesterday
and says well we overlayed some wires and know we need to put a pcm in it at my cost WTF i just had that one installed in january with ford inwich they put a napa computer in with out my knolledge and they are saying well it only has a 3 month warranty and we are not liable but i am .
motorcraft computer is no longer availble for a 2000 model. again WTF ford says yeah after 10 years they become unavailbe. oh yeah here is the kicker it's gonna be 10 days before they can get it. the computer is coming from california and has to be programmed in birmingham then
sent to them in huntsville. so of course i reminded the service manager that we had a oss sensor replaced at ford dealer in culman to fix the problem of the speedo and why can't he charge that shop back. he says
no way am i charging them back. so what took so long for them to find the problem service manager answers well a couple of the technicians went on vacation. so the customer is just screwd i guess. i mean come a month. what a joke. well i will let who ever is following this thread know the outcome it would be kinda funny if the computer doesn't fix it.
check out the other thread under pinging and loss of power v10 and you can see why im so ticked off. you bring to the dealer not to have parts thrown at it until it is fixed **** i can do that and probally be cheaper.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
kirk shonk
New User
okay it took 3 months for the dealer to finaly fix it was the computer that they put in .
in january it took them 3 computers from napa auto parts in order to get a good one and we only get a 3 month warranty what a bunch of crap if i would have known it was not motorcraft on the first 1 and a 3 month warranty i would have took it elsewhere.