1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear (only happened once).

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear (only happened once).

I bought my 2011 F250 FX4 about 2 months ago. A little about the truck: 6.2 liter gas. XL FX4. Manual 4x4. 6 speed auto. Supercab. Long bed. 42,000 miles. (1,000 of them mine.)

Until yesterday, the truck has performed absolutely flawlessly under all conditions. Then, randomly, I had what felt like a "missed shift" as I was leaving my dog's veteranarian yesterday. I pulled out onto the highway and as the truck attempted to shift into second gear, it didn't "catch" second. The gas just revved up and I had to take my foot off the gas pedal and put it back down to get second gear to engage. Most of my driving is stop and go around town and this has only happened once in probably well over a thousand stop and go situations. Should I be worried or was it just a fluke?

Also, FWIW, I did plenty of stop and go driving today without a single problem.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
I need to learn to title my threads better. Someone else must have experienced this before?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a strange anomaly that effects some trucks. I attached a TSB for the '11 6.2 which may or may not have been done on your truck. Some guys had it done and it corrected it, some had it done and it didn't.

I used to be able to make mine do the missed shift from 2-3 after sitting a while. I had the tsb done and it's done it maybe 2 or 3 times in almost 2 years, and it was very minimal/quick when it happened.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB11-05-19.pdf (50.1 KB, 299 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
Thanks a lot man. I will take this to my local dealer. What sucks is that I bought the truck 3 hours away. Hopefully, the local dealer will work with me.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
There's no reason why they shouldn't work with you, it'd be covered by your warranty (if you're still under the mileage).

If it's only happened once since you've owned it, it may not even be worth taking it in, up to you though, post back what they say if you end up taking it in.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
There's no reason why they shouldn't work with you, it'd be covered by your warranty (if you're still under the mileage).

If it's only happened once since you've owned it, it may not even be worth taking it in, up to you though, post back what they say if you end up taking it in.
I decided to wait until my 45,000 mile service to decide whether or not to address it. It's only happened once in over a thousand miles. I have 3 thousand miles to go before I take it in for the 45,000 mile service. If it happens again before then, I'll attempt to get it taken care of. If not, I'll consider it a fluke.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
Just an update. It's been ten days, I've towed an 8,000 lb. trailer, and no further problems. I'm gonna say it was a fluke and forget about it.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM
jbrianas
Senior User
my new truck has done this several times also, today in fact--

its like it hits nuetral for a moment or two between gears, i think its way to intermitten to take it in now

Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya know, my 12 Fusion does this (yes I know it's totally different) but its exactly the same randomly when the trans is still cold. Hmm

Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
OK, this problem has come back with a vengeance. It happened once or twice over the last few months, then it started happening every few days this month. Truck will be going to a dealership soon to try to figure this problem out. Has anyone had this issue and successfully had it fixed? Not looking forward to hearing a service tech tell me "We couldn't duplicate the problem."

Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Yes, print out the TSB and take it with you to the dealer.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Diabolical!
OK, this problem has come back with a vengeance. It happened once or twice over the last few months, then it started happening every few days this month. Truck will be going to a dealership soon to try to figure this problem out. Has anyone had this issue and successfully had it fixed? Not looking forward to hearing a service tech tell me "We couldn't duplicate the problem."
Hi Diabolical!,

Have you been to the dealership yet to have this addressed? Let me know how things went; if you need any additional assistance, give me a shout.

Crystal

Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Diabolical!
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Diabolical!,

Have you been to the dealership yet to have this addressed? Let me know how things went; if you need any additional assistance, give me a shout.

Crystal
Sorry, haven't had a chance to get online in a while. Thanks for addressing this. I will be taking the truck in at the end of the month. (I just can't afford to be without it before then.) My dealership is typically pretty helpful, but if I have any problems I'll be sure to get back with you.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
My dealer always blamed the "learning trans" when I complain of hiccups.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Sorry, haven't had a chance to get online in a while. Thanks for addressing this. I will be taking the truck in at the end of the month. (I just can't afford to be without it before then.) My dealership is typically pretty helpful, but if I have any problems I'll be sure to get back with you.
Sounds good, Diabolical! I'll be here if you need me to step in and help.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Strange hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear (only happened once).