Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil cooler rebuild - another ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
consol
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil cooler rebuild - another ?

So I want to teardown the oil filter head and soak it, blow it out, etc. to get all the final crud out of it...the crud that got into it from cleaning the exterior + coolant residue.

Anyhow I got the circle clip out of the block side fitting (not the bypass with the wafer), but the interior items won't come out. My guess is that the aluminum has mushroomed out a little making the piece hang up before getting out.

So, should I open the aluminum up very little....or am I missing something.

I've tried all sorts or realigns but it wont come out.

Let me know

Better Question - What the heck is that little thing in there and what is it supposed to do, the steel cylinder with the four small divets, does it rotate on it's own?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
i removed the 3 bolts at oil filter neck, then the 2 bolts on front of cooler...one is very hidden under the pullies. the entire assembly came right out...i flushed it with water, then air. some materials/crud didnt come out with water or air, so we used a coat hanger very straight and ran it thru each chamber. it was a very messy job and when you try to get the gaskets in and the bolts...thats tough. good luck

Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
consol
Senior User
Thanks, I've already got it removed and separated into the 3 parts, but I'm down to the actual internals of the oil filter head.

Sorry took picture but am not smart enough to post it

Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
we didnt do anything to the oil filter neck. i just cleaned it with simple green rinsed and let dry. sorry i cant be of more help..