6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Last minutes questions before ordering airbags

Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually hook up to a trailer with 10 psi or so in the bags, the amount of compression on the bags from the tongue weight of the trailer is my key to how much air to pump in, so I watch this figure quite a lot.

If I hook up and the psi goes from 10 up to 20, then I would only inflate to about 25. That's a light load. You develop a feel for it, my "feel" is based on F250 spring rates so you all with 350's will have different ideas. If I go from 10 to 35 then I know I have a pretty stout load and I will run it up to 50 psi or thereabouts.

On the firestone brackets which sit on top of the axle, you have3 height holes. The tallest one is necessary on the 4x4 F250 and probably on the 350srw. You need to be sure that the bolt head that secures the bottom of the air bag to the axle bracket stays clear of the jounce stop. You will see when you make your first "dry" fitment.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:09 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jxcasey
I have a question.
On my previous air-bag set up (Firestone bags on 1999 F350 dually) I was able to set the bags at 5 lbs unloaded--the minimum. When loaded with the 5th wheel the pressure came up to 15 lbs--though I did not add any air. In that circumstance there was no need for an on-board air compressor. Perfect! The design of that bag set required the drilling--this might have been before the "no-drill" era.

(On my 2005 F350 dually I used the Timbren rubber springs, which I might install temporarily on the 2011 F350 dually. They worked well, but I suspect the air bags will be better.)

So, if I go to air bags, my question is: will I be able to do the same with the 2535 bags? (same basic truck, F350 2011 6.7 dually). That is, can I set it at about 5 lbs unloaded, which yielded 15 lbs loaded without adding air? Or, will I need to add air to support the 5th wheel hitch weight?

What air pressure have you and others used? What is your pressure unloaded, what is your pressure loaded, how many of you did or did not need to change the air pressure?

Thanks in advance for comments, information, and questions.

Every truck is different and there is really no fast rule on what's going to happen at what pressure, and how much your air pressure will build under what kind of load. Your steel springs have a spring rate that will build as you add the load and it will change the effect on the bags. If you had a full air suspension, then the pressure build would be predictable.. to a point. I think Ruschejj has the program down and that's what I do... except with Air Lift air bags.. obviously

Another thing I would comment on; one of the key benefits of using air bags is to have adjustability for load and road conditions. You don't get the full benefit of that without having a way to adjust the pressure on the fly. Setting and forgetting is not a bad thing, but adjustability is the best thing. For trailers, bumper pull or 5W, a simple LoadController is all you need. Don't worry about controlling left and right seperately because it isn't going to matter unless you have a camper, or you are a contractor with offset loads.

Brad

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Though I hope more comments will appear so I can read them, the ones I have already received have been very helpful. Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
rljett
Junior User
I don't think you are going to find out much more than what folks have already stated. Since everyone's trailer is different, the amount of air needed varies. You won't know for your situation until you try. For me, I needed about 30 psi to be level. I decided not to drop the pressure when I unhooked. But I do have a gauge and manual pump to adjust next time I do hook up. They loose air over time and I noticed the pressure increases after driving, just like your car tires will.

As for the bracket settings, there are 3 or 4 configurations. The instruction manual tells you which one mit work for your truck. I had an FX4 package and it correctly identified the setting. You can pull down their install instructions from their web site.

I love mine.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Thanks rljett: I suspect you are correct. Thanks to everyone who commented.

Last edited by jxcasey; 07-30-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling