1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AFE Stage II Intake System: What Can I Expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFE Stage II Intake System: What Can I Expect?

Alright, guys and gals. I don't post too much here, and I'm too lazy to do a 'search' to see if this product has been 'reviewed', so deal with it.

Anyway, I'm not so much asking for advice as I'm asking for a product review from those who have 'my' truck, and who have installed the intake system in the thread title. I bought the intake system yesterday and installed it already, and I'm just checking to see what, if any, improvements some of y'all have seen with the AFE Stage II.

BTW, I have a 2000 F250 4X4 with the 7.3L psd.

This is the ONLY thing I have changed from stock (well....excepting my replacement of the 265s with some BFG 285 E-load tires). I was HAPPY just to scoop out all of that air-restricting plastic crap, and put the AFE in with the battery tray---which I think, at the very least, makes the engine compartment look a WHOLE lot more shipshape....

I'm a born 'minimalist', so what I expect from the new intake system is some increase in HP, and some increase in TQ......as well as maybe 1mpg when towing.......What the folks at AFE claim on their website is that the stage II intake system on the 7.3L will boost your HP by 50-points.....and will boost your TQ by a whopping 100+ points! (it doesn't mention mpg's). This is a hefty claim, for sure. Hell....I'd be happy to see a 20-point HP boost and a 40 or 50-lb TQ boost.......!......

Have some of y'all run the numbers? Put your truck on the dyno before and after? Keep in mind, I have the stock 4" exhaust, and NO chipping whatsoever......Just the intake system.

Flame Away! I'm sure someone out there will say I should have bought something other than the AFE 'piece of crap'.......

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
You might gain about 10-20hp and 30-50tq... maybe.

A bit cooler EGT's... and as an added bonus...

Surge...LOL

You may have had surge before but could not hear it. You will hear it now!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stated, you will hear the surge now. Also, filters get dirty fast, at least mine does.

Did I notice a big drop in EGTs, not really, but im sure they are there. HP gain, not noticeable.

Watch the rubber gasket thing on top of the frame, mine fell off pretty quick, glue wasnt that good from the factory.

Thats all I can think of. I like that the battery is exposed now, easier to work on.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Such glowing reviews...LOL

really, if I had it to do again...

one word,

TYMAR.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CSIPSD

You might gain about 10-20hp and 30-50tq... maybe.
I'd be happy with those numbers. The truck DOES feel less sluggish. I don't think it's just wishful thinking.

A bit cooler EGT's...
As proof of my status as a rookie mechanic.....I broke off a piece of the temperature sensor trying to pull it through the grommet on the new housing......The instructions even said 'be careful not to break the temperature sensor'......So of course I broke it....

I'm told it's not an expensive piece. I couldn't get the leverage on the outside of the housing/shield to push it through.

and as an added bonus...

Surge...LOL

You may have had surge before but could not hear it. You will hear it now!
So THAT'S the turbo!

Yeah. When I was goosing it a little (on purpose....I wanted to stretch the legs a bit), it would make some music. Don't mind 'tall......

Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by whitesdford

Thats all I can think of. I like that the battery is exposed now, easier to work on.
I like that part too. I ALSO like getting rid of that 3-piece monstrosity of a stock plastic intake/batter/filter monstrosity with the tiny little oval intake opening........

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Such glowing reviews...LOL

really, if I had it to do again...

one word,

TYMAR.
After doing a web search, and after finding a bunch of 'hits' on Tymar that takes me to FTE threads from years ago, I'm not too impressed by what I've found. It sounds like the filter works great, but the Tymar 'system' sounds just a little TOO DIY to me.

There's not even a website (tymarperformance.com has a single message stating 'future home of.........'), and the posts were filled with guys asking where they could find Tymar filters. They were directed by posts telling them to 'call so and so from such and such'......etc. A little too fly-by-night for me.

From what I could gather, it's a jury-rigged system with a huge, disposable filter that you order from Tymar.......get some clamps and tubing and 'with just a little effort', cram the huge filter into the engine compartment.

Sorry, guys. Doesn't sound like what I want to do with my 2000.

I paid more for the 'oil' intake system for sure, but the parts fit, and the clamps don't slide, and sure....I'll have to clean and oil it on occasion, but that doesn't sound like too big a deal. And the entire 3-piece plastic, restrictive intake/battery/filter/tube assembly that took up about 25% of the engine compartment is GONE.......Replaced by a handsome 'open' filter/batter housing unit which fits the compartment perfectly....with clamps that don't 'slide'.

And I feel sooooooooo good for buying from an FTE sponsor.......

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
After doing a web search, and after finding a bunch of 'hits' on Tymar that takes me to FTE threads from years ago, I'm not too impressed by what I've found. It sounds like the filter works great, but the Tymar 'system' sounds just a little TOO DIY to me.
Do a search on 6637 and you'll get a couple of million hits. It's the DIY version of the Tymar

The only thing I would expect out of the AFE would be better filtration in your set up. That's still worth the upgrade over the stock box.

Now if you want to go for the cool, custom effect, order a cover from Pete, who's an active 7.3 member here. Here's some examples of his work Photo Gallery

Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Do a search on 6637 and you'll get a couple of million hits. It's the DIY version of the Tymar

The only thing I would expect out of the AFE would be better filtration in your set up. That's still worth the upgrade over the stock box.

Now if you want to go for the cool, custom effect, order a cover from Pete, who's an active 7.3 member here. Here's some examples of his work Photo Gallery
Yeah. I saw that.

I remember a year or two ago reading about the 'Kwix' filter setup.....Same 6637 but with Kwikkordead's extra loving thrown in.....

I heard 'Tymar' thrown in and thought it was a company peddling an intake system along the lines of the K&N, or the AFE, or the Quadzilla, or whatever.......And I had to go through forums stating 'yeah....call so-and-so at this number and he'll hook you up'..........etc.

I suppose what I DON'T like about those setups are that a) you just go without a heat shield separating the filter from the engine, or b) you fabricate one from the old stock box, which doesn't seem like too much of an improvement to me (not to mention an eyesore), except for a superior filter over the stock filter.

I guess I'll just have to see how often I have to clean the AFE filter. I'm not as off-road as a lot of you guys, but I can see where it can be a challenge when I take my truck onto the beach.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
I suppose what I DON'T like about those setups are that a) you just go without a heat shield separating the filter from the engine, or b) you fabricate one from the old stock box, which doesn't seem like too much of an improvement to me (not to mention an eyesore), except for a superior filter over the stock filter.
First, the "cold" air intake part is misleading. Once you get moving, the so called heat shield isn't really doing much for temps, but it does cut down significantly on drone (noise). Besides, you could always just fab up your own box to go around the 6637. Here's what mine looks like, (but Jim's looks nicer)

It got rid of the drone, so I'm happy with it. You can see I've got a blue cover from Pete on here.

Here's what my wife's AFE stage II looks like with Pete's cover

Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM
missing my excursion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get that pre filter cover ? The one with the interstate battery .

Old 10-18-2015, 06:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by missing my excursion
Where did you get that pre filter cover ? The one with the interstate battery .
From Pete. Not sure if he still sells direct since the kids many of the kids are grown that used to help him.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...tes-cover.html