Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New User gets an Ex - Needs to brag and get wheel / tire advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New User gets an Ex - Needs to brag and get wheel / tire advice!

So I've been lurking around here on / off for 5 years and always wanted an PSD Ex. Started my search 2 weeks ago, and after recovering from the aneurism I got after seeing the resale value on these things, I found the one. Searched all over the east coast, and found a 2005 50 miles from home at a Ford dealer. Walked in, the salesman throws me the keys and says, "take it for a ride...it's been here since March and needs to go...soon!" The thing checks out, clean history, immaculate shape, 1 owner, got it for 3k below trade-in value. Two hours later I'm riding home in it refusing to use the radio because the turbo-whistle is the best music I've heard in years.

She needs tires though...bad. And since I have no love affair with those 16" wheels...well, better count them in as well. I really like the Diamo 8 Karat wheels in an 18" with a BFG A/T tire. Any advice or feedback, especially on tire size? I'd like to fill the fenders out as much as possible without a lift. The most off-road use we'll see is crawling the OBX sandy beaches...so while I am concerned about excessive rubbing on turns, major suspension travel isn't big to me. Thanks for any help!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
6.0L diesel?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 PM
FN Phat
Junior User
Nice looking rig. I like the color combo. I am going to check one out tomorrow. If all goes well, I will be the proud new of an X.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
j4henry
Senior User
I personally am going to save up and get a set of 2009 or 2010 factory 20" king ranchwheel from a f250. The flat spoke ones

Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by j4henry
I personally am going to save up and get a set of 2009 or 2010 factory 20" king ranchwheel from a f250. The flat spoke ones
Just remember you'll need spacers to run them.

I'm a HUGE fan on the Hankook DynaPro A/Tm tires on my F250. I got them in E rating for towing, but they've done awesome in the snow (24" - no problem) and they're quiet on the highway, but I've never been in sand so I can't attest to that, but if you air them down you should be just fine.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:21 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
6.0L diesel?
Yep... Between this, the wife's Jetta, and the mower....the only thing left running gas I have is the weed-eater.

Originally Posted by papadelogan
...I've never been in sand so I can't attest to that, but if you air them down you should be just fine.
Yeah, that's pretty much the story for all of them. I've watched these monster trucks buried to the springs, and then here comes the park service with factory tires aired down to 18 lbs and just drives right around them.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:31 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Found these pictures online. These are the wheel / tire combo I'd really like to have. Pretty sure those are 18" wheels, but anyone want to take a crack at what size tires those probably are?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:53 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
yeah i'd say 18s, too much tire for it to be 20s. IMO

Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
The BFG AT KO is a good tire and you wont have any problems on the beaches here. They have a new one which behaves better on the road, is quieter and will have better tire wear called the Rugged Terrain. It's offered in a 275/65R18 E rated which could work. I love the Mickey Thompson ATZs in the sand and on the road - handle well and the tire wear is better than I expected. Where are you located?

Rugged Terrain link: Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on the X. Hard to believe you got such a good deal with used car prices and especially used X prices the way they are. We vacation in OBX-actually we will be there in late July. A few years ago we were down there and went out on a beach access in my brother in laws 03 Dodge 2500. It was leveled with 315 Pro Comp X terrains (diesel). We aired down and headed out through the soft sand towards the beach. There were tourists from Canada buried to the axles in a then new Grand Cherokee. It was my first time out on the beach in a truck. A F250 was pulling out the Jeep. I was wondering if it was a good idea to be driving out there and once we got out onto the packed sand I was amazed at the amount of stock rigs out there. I would personally be hesitant to take the X out there thinking it would sink like the Titanic. I bet the tow trucks get quite a benefit from tourists. I like the wheel tire combo on the white X. It looks like 33's. Tried zooming in and just cant make out the tire size. But in a 16", I have ran a 305 70 16 on my V10 with stock suspension with no rubbing and 285's on my diesel before the X codes and F350 blocks with no issue. I actually think I will go with 295's next time.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Yep, 6.0L... Between this, the wife's Jetta, and the mower....the only thing left running gas I have is the weed-eater.
Well, I hate to burst your bubble of happiness, but if they sold it $3,000 below trade-in value, I would suspect engine problems. And I would suspect the dealership knows about these problems whatever they are.

See, here's how I figure it..... if everything was legitimate, the dealership could have sent it to auction months ago and gotten $3,000 below trade-in value for it easily.

In the meantime.... I hope I am 100% wrong.... and I wish nothing but the best of luck with it.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
Well, I hate to burst your bubble of happiness, but if they sold it $3,000 below trade-in value, I would suspect engine problems. And I would suspect the dealership knows about these problems whatever they are.

See, here's how I figure it..... if everything was legitimate, the dealership could have sent it to auction months ago and gotten $3,000 below trade-in value for it easily.

In the meantime.... I hope I am 100% wrong.... and I wish nothing but the best of luck with it.
Me too... Otherwise the clean Oasis print and clean code scan will be a disappointment. Things are a little different around here with small dealers being owned by families for generations in small counties. And each probably sells 1 diesel for every 2 cars they sell. The bad ones are shipped away because they can't afford getting any bad word-of-mouth...which means more than any advertisement. And just about every other driveway has a Powerstroke or Duramax in it.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdappleman
The BFG AT KO is a good tire and you wont have any problems on the beaches here. They have a new one which behaves better on the road, is quieter and will have better tire wear called the Rugged Terrain. It's offered in a 275/65R18 E rated which could work. I love the Mickey Thompson ATZs in the sand and on the road - handle well and the tire wear is better than I expected. Where are you located?

Rugged Terrain link: Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires
Hey thanks for the feedback. Located in Beaufort County here. Just behind Swan Quarter.

Which do you think has better wear and less road noise, the BFG or M/T?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Hey - both the AT KO and the M/T are good tires and very similar with wear and noise. They both need regular rotations and need to ensure the alignment is good on the Ex. The new BFG I mentioned is probably the best between the 2 on both wear and noise. I'd choose the M/T again if I had to purchase tires again - it just does a good job all around.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
KNIGHTRIDER V10
Senior User
Those wheels look just like mine on my F250 SD and I gotta say that color combo goes really well

Quick Reply: New User gets an Ex - Needs to brag and get wheel / tire advice!