1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

fixed or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
lake_carl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixed or not

OK I purchased a 1995 shuttle bus with the power stroke, was one owner with just over 110K miles, now has just over 112k,

a couple of times it has died after starting, which I thought was because I did not let glow plugs cycle, let them cycle and been fine

saturday night I put around 150 miles on it and it ran fine,

tuesday I go to start it and only running on passenger side, I determined this after reading old thread here, anyway pins on valve cover harness look good, wires outside look good, connections look good, disconnect and connect with no change, old timer I know says change the fuel filter, I do it was what I would say was very nasty but was not original so it had been changed once in its life, try running it a few minutes after filter change and still not hitting on drivers side, say screw it as long hot work day will look at it another time, well today, I needed to move it from in front of the door to shop, start it up and runs great, wiggle connectors and wires still going strong, I did open up the wire loom that feeds that side valve cover and all look very good, drove it around the block, and have let run for over an hour and still all fine

so could it have been partly plugged filter and line?

thanks all as I have been mostly a lurker here but learned so much about the trucks

Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lake_carl
OK I purchased a 1995 shuttle bus with the power stroke, was one owner with just over 110K miles, now has just over 112k,

a couple of times it has died after starting, which I thought was because I did not let glow plugs cycle, let them cycle and been fine

saturday night I put around 150 miles on it and it ran fine,

tuesday I go to start it and only running on passenger side, I determined this after reading old thread here, anyway pins on valve cover harness look good, wires outside look good, connections look good, disconnect and connect with no change, old timer I know says change the fuel filter, I do it was what I would say was very nasty but was not original so it had been changed once in its life, try running it a few minutes after filter change and still not hitting on drivers side, say screw it as long hot work day will look at it another time, well today, I needed to move it from in front of the door to shop, start it up and runs great, wiggle connectors and wires still going strong, I did open up the wire loom that feeds that side valve cover and all look very good, drove it around the block, and have let run for over an hour and still all fine

so could it have been partly plugged filter and line?

thanks all as I have been mostly a lurker here but learned so much about the trucks
WELCOME ABOARD.

Maybe the under valve cover harness (UVCH) is failing in some way.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, Welcome to the nicest, most helpful online community around!

One of the other things that come to mind would be to change the CPS. It is a cheap fix if it works, and if it doesn't you're out $30 and now you have a spare (which you will need sooner or later anyway since they are prone to failing at the worst possible time).

The other possibility would be your IDM. On the F-series, they are located on the driver side inner fender well, but I can't say for sure on a shuttle bus, which I am guessing is an E-series. You can usually take them out and shake them to listen for water inside. Any chance it had been raining some when you were having trouble with it? Unfortunately if it is the IDM, you're pretty much stuck replacing it, but there are some inexpensive places to get a re manufactured one if that ends up being the issue.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
if the fuel filter was that nasty it wouldnt hurt to clean the fpr screen

Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM
lake_carl
New User
no rain here from the last time it ran good, Sat to now, wed it still ran bad, today friday, has gone 5 miles and about 2 hours running strong and good,
yes it is a E series, and the IDM I am assuming is a silver box with two spererate loomed wires coming out of if, looks dry, in good condition and ground on it looks great

Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 with Jose (RÖENTGEEP) UVCH.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Did I understand you to say that 4 cyls were not firing on the driver side ?...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
lake_carl
New User
yes it seemed like nothing was firing on drivers side as when I took the connections off it made no difference and passenger side seem to be knowcking much harder than normal too

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Wink

Originally Posted by lake_carl
no rain here from the last time it ran good, Sat to now, wed it still ran bad, today friday, has gone 5 miles and about 2 hours running strong and good,
yes it is a E series, and the IDM I am assuming is a silver box with two spererate loomed wires coming out of if, looks dry, in good condition and ground on it looks great
The IDM could be or look dry OUTSIDE, but inside so you should pull it out and shake it to listen for INSIDE water.
Here is a pic of it in the F series and a bad UVCH

Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 PM
lake_carl
New User
it is pretty rare at least in most applications that an electronic problem, such as a wire or module will quite working then work again, I always thought, the van has started now about a dozen more times and been driven about 15 more miles, and seems as good as ever, will let all know how the night goes, cause I am taking it out as a party van in a bit, wish me luck!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
It was probably the fuel filter but when mine was acting up it was the UVCH. It would run great and I thought it was fixed. Then it would leave me stranded. I posted on here and was told to check for burned wires. I reported back mine were OK and someone said, check again!! I used a magifine glass and sure enough, burnt wires.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
UVCH can be verified visually ...They can be intermittent...

Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
lake_carl
New User
well 5 hours or so running last night, multiple stops and starts, ran through some rain, flashed buy a few young women, and all ran as good or perhaps better than it has in the few months I have owned it.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just don't see how a fuel filter or HPOP can cause one side of the engine to miss fire.

The big wire harness that drapes across the driver side valve cover has been known to wear through and cause your symptoms too. It's the one that loosely wrapped with red tape. Try shaking the harness with the truck running to see if the engine cuts out.

Quick Reply: fixed or not