Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Transmission & tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Fatjap
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission & tyres

Hi Fella's....again..get the hang of this in a minute..What is the maximum wheel and tyre size I can get under my 97 Explorer to fill out the arches and givie it a bit of a lift as the origional 255 x 16" look a bit puny.....and also I'm having trouble getting the transmission lever out of park and into drive...the selonoid? seems to stick..it takes a few minutes to release...Is it brake vacuum sensitive...if so how can i bypass it as a temporary measure?...as my local dealer is useless....I run this vehicle on LPG has anyone had any difficulties with this?

Old 03-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Transmission & tyres

Hi Fatjap

Ummm interesting name you have there

I cant answer your tire question but may be able to help a bit with your other one. Before you start the engine, with the key in the off position, not lock, see if you can move the shifter ok.
If it moves easily with the key in off then the problem is probably the electric solenoid on the shifter. If it doesnt move freely with the key off you could have a binding cable or something.
Let us know what you find.

Old 03-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Fatjap
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission & tyres

Hi Racerguy...thanks for the reply....When the key is in the ignition and turned to the position before it brings the ignition warning lights on...the shifter lever button sometimes goes in..it goes in easier if I have just driven the truck...but if the truck has been stood over night I have to wait 5-10 minutes with the truck running before i can feel the selenoid unlock to allow the button to go in and the shifter to work..the shifter feels free in use....I suppose I ought to remove the selenoid and manually test it..........Are there any other vehicles with the same wheel hub stud pattern as the Explorer?

Fatjap....(made the name up on the spur of the moment to get in a computer show if you were wondering - fatjapcomputers--hope its not offensive to anyone)