1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pros and cons srw vs drw! Trying to pick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and cons srw vs drw! Trying to pick!

Hello guys! I'm looking for another truck again. I want a F350 super cab or crew cab. I plan on a chip, exhaust and intake with a nice set of gauges.

I'm trying to figure out the pro and cons of single rear wheel (srw) and dual rear wheel (drw). I will be doing some towning and plan on having a goose neck 3 to 4 horse trailer and a 25 or 30ft flat bed gooseneck trailer. This truck will also be my daily drive so good Mpg would be great. I'd be happy with 16 to 18 mpgs.

Any input would be great, Just please no useless post and arguing!

Thanks
Doug

Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dougbrown
I will be doing some towning and plan on having a goose neck 3 to 4 hourse trailer and a 25 or 30ft flat bed gooseneck trailer.
I think it comes down to where you live and how often you will be towing.

Urban? Go SRW, parking a DRW is a pain if you have crowded parking lots, small busy streets etc..

Suburban/Rural? Go DRW. No reason not to. You will have plenty of room. If not, tell the people to go around. (Heck, I do this with my F250..)

I would imagine that the DRW has slightly less MPG than the SRW and an extra 2 tires is costly.. It comes down to how often you will tow. A SRW will tow your trailer just fine, but if you do it more than a few times a month, a DRW will make it more comfortable.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
colo_dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you plan on hauling often, and you're main trailers are a 4 horse and a 30' flat, you will want the stability of a DRW. Mileage is going to suffer a bit accourdingly, you will be hard pressed to find a 7.3 with 4.10's that's going to get the 16-18 mpg that you are looking for. The SRW with 3.73's will get you better DD mileage, but I'd venture to say the DRW will see better mileage with the trailers in tow.

It comes down to where you have room to park, and concessions you have to make with the dually. Mine is my DD, on a military base I have room to park her. I know there are shops and sections of town I can't park this beast, and I'm ok with that Parking in the City sucks for these bigger trucks. Tow that size trailer though, and you'll never want to tow it with a SRW again. The ride is that much better.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,652 Likes on 1,126 Posts
more load stability with drw.
more costs with drw, more tires to buy!
need bigger parking lot with drw.
most states f350 are automatically commercial so you have to stop at weigh stations, pay for commercial plates and pay for weight fees.
but way more stability when hauling loads.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,652 Likes on 1,126 Posts
I am assuming you are looking for a new body since you posted here in the 99-03 forum, but if you are looking for obs my neighbor has a '95 4 door dually for sale, no rust here in az.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
colo_dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The F350 doesn't require stops at weigh stations unless you are hauling for commercial purposes. Its under the 26k GCWR therefore, unless the load is for commercial purposes, doesn't have to stop, this a common misconception though.

Depending on the state, yes a dually will be subject to commercial plates. At the tolls, you'll be charged as a commercial 2 axle +trailer. Make sure you check your local laws on the license you'll need with the new truck, but I think you'll be fine with a regular DL.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Id never trust my horses to a srw tow vehicle, but that's just me, srw properly equipped with above average tires would be fine I'm sure, but....even the cool factor is in play, I probably see 30 SD srw trucks a day....maybe 3 are duallys, but I guess I'm biased....towing,stability gcvwr....dual wheels, mph,smoother ride, easier parking...single

Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
I think it comes down to where you live and how often you will be towing.

Urban? Go SRW, parking a DRW is a pain if you have crowded parking lots, small busy streets etc..

Suburban/Rural? Go DRW. No reason not to. You will have plenty of room. If not, tell the people to go around. (Heck, I do this with my F250..)

I would imagine that the DRW has slightly less MPG than the SRW and an extra 2 tires is costly.. It comes down to how often you will tow. A SRW will tow your trailer just fine, but if you do it more than a few times a month, a DRW will make it more comfortable.
I'm suburban right now put plan to be country within the next 2 years. I have a 18 acer working horse farm I will be taking over. (Dad still owns but getting older.) I don't know how much towing I will be doing but Right now I tow my landscaping trailer 3 days a week in the summer. The hose trailer will be for moving horse on the side for extra cash and the the flat bed to move hay and equipment!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've done an awful lot of heavy pulling for the last 30+ years with SRW and dually trucks...I bought my first dually 23 years ago and it has been duallies ever since. I wouldn't have anything but a dually as my truck to haul livestock. More expensive, poorer mileage, etc...but worth it when you put heavy loads on. Oh and get the crewcab, I have never heard anyone complain that they bought the bigger cab and wish they had a smaller cab.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by colo_dually
The F350 doesn't require stops at weigh stations unless you are hauling for commercial purposes. Its under the 26k GCWR therefore, unless the load is for commercial purposes, doesn't have to stop, this a common misconception though.

Depending on the state, yes a dually will be subject to commercial plates. At the tolls, you'll be charged as a commercial 2 axle +trailer. Make sure you check your local laws on the license you'll need with the new truck, but I think you'll be fine with a regular DL.
I have a cdl so I'm good there!

Keep the good info coming and yes I want out of my 96 some day but love it others. Trying to keep both!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Owned both myself...the Dually handles tongue/trailer weight w/ the stability of not even knowing it's there...my SRW trucks do it great too just feel more bounce and sway in the back. Overall ride quality (empty) suffers w/ the DRW & I see u live in NJ...any tolls out of the state are costly (and EZ pass catches it everytime!) One thing not mentioned though, you can usually get a better deal on the same equipped DRW versus SRW as they are not as desireable to the general public.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Anybody looking for a Kali dually? I just ran across this ad.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
...Thought of one more thing about what I didn't like about the DRW..it didn't do nearly as well in the snow or sand as the SRW truck, you would think it would dominate in these conditions but it doesn't..not sure if thats important to you or not, i do emergency work 24/7 so it is to me.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an SRW and tow around 12,500 lbs fifth wheel. I have a high pin weight and don't find it to sway much, nor do I find it unstable in the wind either. I know a dually couln't follow me in many of the offroad situations I have been in, but then againg, when I find an F550 it will be switched to SRW. I like SRW more than DRW.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons srw vs drw! Trying to pick!