1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pros and cons srw vs drw! Trying to pick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had both and now I have a DWR and it feels much better towing as most will admit but it is a pain trying to park at some places. I dont mind a little walk so I will just park out in the lot a little further out. I have 4:10;s and get a little over 17 mpg but I also have the 6 speed.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoever says you need a bigger parking LOT for a dually needs some serious driving lessons! lol... for the kind of use you are looking to use your truck for i would get a dually. the extra 2 tires is not that big of a deal. and not to mention the COOL factor! wide hipped ladies rule the road!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Krazymaan
Senior User
Duallys all the way. You get to park under the loading zone at Home Depot and Lowes. You get front row parking at Menards.
The absolutely best feature about having a dually is when some A-Hole thinks he can park a foot over the parking line or at an angle cuz he is the parking lot god. You get to pull into your stall legal and legit and that S.O.B. is Fkd and has to crawl in from the other way. You know you feel good when you get to do this to that person

Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazymaan
Duallys all the way. You get to park under the loading zone at Home Depot and Lowes.
Is that the requirement? I didnt know BMW made duallys cause I see BMWs and Scions and everything there. Right below "CONTRACTOR'S ENTRANCE"...

Thats when I push them out of the way with my truck. I get to park there cause you know, Im a big truck, and I'm on the clock and I'm gonna be loading up building supplies, not garden pots.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,657 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by colo_dually
The F350 doesn't require stops at weigh stations unless you are hauling for commercial purposes. Its under the 26k GCWR therefore, unless the load is for commercial purposes, doesn't have to stop, this a common misconception though.

Depending on the state, yes a dually will be subject to commercial plates. At the tolls, you'll be charged as a commercial 2 axle +trailer. Make sure you check your local laws on the license you'll need with the new truck, but I think you'll be fine with a regular DL.
not true in Arizona! any vehicle with a mfg rating over 3/4 ton is commercial,has commercial plates and must stop at weigh stations.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
In CA all pickups have commercial registration. That doesnt mean its a CDL vehicle obviously, just registered as a commercial vehicle. Strangely enough that includes vehicles like El Caminos because technically they have a bed, and on their registration it says "TRUCK"...

You can register a truck as non-commercial if you put a shell on the bed though.

As far as weigh stations here, if your GVWR is less than 26,000lbs you do not have to stop. However, all box vans regardless of GVWR has to stop, including UHAULS.. *ahem...*

Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 AM
colo_dually
Senior User
Originally Posted by helifixer
not true in Arizona! any vehicle with a mfg rating over 3/4 ton is commercial,has commercial plates and must stop at weigh stations.
Do they have signs posted that pickups must stop, because the Fed DOT doesn't require it. Must be the state has an interest in it, thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by helifixer
Commercial plates on a 1-ton pickup DO NOT mean you must stop at a weigh station...I drive all over the state of Arizona (as well as many other states) on a regular basis and I have a CDL. Heck, if one-tons had to pass through the weigh stations the line would go back out into the highway...a lot of one-tons in Arizona. They can require any vehicle to pull in, but a 1-ton pickup is not required to pull in unless it is being used for commercial purposes. In fact, I can never remember seeing a 1-ton in a weigh station in all my years of driving, anywhere!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
not a commercial truck in indiana either...........

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
ive got a dually as well....4.10 gears and manual trans. So far this summer i have gotten just over 16 mpg around town (see mods below). it is my DD so it can be a pain some times running around town but it is SOOO stable pulling the camper. 36' bumper pull and no sway. even in cross winds and passing 18 wheelers....its solid. The unloaded driving is a bit rough....there are some bumps on my way to work that i really hate going over.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You pay more up front for the 6 tires, but if you tow or haul a lot, the tires on a dually will last a lot longer than they will on a single. On the tire cost over several sets the advantage will go to the dually in a big way.

A disadvantage is they are less capable running empty in snow, at least that's my experience.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
not a commercial truck in indiana either...........
Hey bud, you going to rre? I'm heading to Anderson Sunday afternoon when leaving rre. Maybe we could meet up. If your going we could convoy back. Pm me.
In la I drive a 4500 dodge all over with no cdl or tags. Only prob I have is driving to tx with a trailer. But as far as my personal truck I've never had any problems! Could be just lucky!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
I agree with the snow claim...if I didn't have four wheel drive...I wouldn't have gotten to work a few times this past winter, but with it locked I had no problem zipping along at 65 on the parkway in 8" of un plowed mush, the real bummer is the locking rear axle....useless in 2wd, with even a light dusting...I vote dually if u can find one not beat to death

Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by bulla
Hey bud, you going to rre? I'm heading to Anderson Sunday afternoon when leaving rre. Maybe we could meet up. If your going we could convoy back. Pm me.
In la I drive a 4500 dodge all over with no cdl or tags. Only prob I have is driving to tx with a trailer. But as far as my personal truck I've never had any problems! Could be just lucky!
im not gonna make it to rre unfortunately but if your driving through id be more than happy to meet up with you.....

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by colo_dually
Do they have signs posted that pickups must stop, because the Fed DOT doesn't require it. Must be the state has an interest in it, thanks for the heads up.
Fed DOT doesn't dictate who has to stop.

Here it is "any truck over 8000 lbs".

Quick Reply: Pros and cons srw vs drw! Trying to pick!