Sponsored by:

"Before" and "After" Observations: Excursion Suspension and Other Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 PM
the ponz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Before" and "After" Observations: Excursion Suspension and Other Modifications

I would like to sincerely thank all who have done the years of hard work, be it thoughtful engineering or simply trial and error, and have found quality solutions to the inadequacies that Ford overlooked in the Excursion, and then have taken the time to post their results and insights in this and other forums. It simply makes what I do a "cut and paste" afternoon of wrench turning in the driveway.

On March 8, 2011, I purchased a 2001 7.3l diesel Ford Excursion. The truck had 55,000 original miles. This vehicle will not be a daily driver; I have a 1986 Volkswagen for that. My desire is to have this truck spend its life pulling my 8500# travel trailer. With any luck, my grandchildren will be driving this truck. I have pulled the trailer for the past seven years with a 2001 K2500 Chevrolet crew cab Duramax/Allison.

OK, so here are the results of my spring swap and other modifications.

1. Front axle: installed “X” code springs
- front right gained 3”
- front left gained 2 1/4”
- front bump stop clearance was increased from 1/4" to 2 1/2" (not so accurately measured with the fingers on my right hand)

2. Rear axle: installed “B” code springs + the two short leaves from the original pack + two “shims” that are each of equal thickness of one leaf (the “shims” were necessary to accommodate the LandYot Radius Rods. Without the “shims”, the rods were close to fouling on the “B” code’s’ bottom overload spring). I kept the stock Excursion 2" block.
- right rear gained 3 7/16”
- left rear gained 4 1/8”

3. Installed Hellwig rear antisway bar, which, after installing the modified “B” code rear springs, required fabricated longer front links to avoid fouling on the rear differential.

4. Installed LandYot radius rods. No more wandering, at all. None. Zip. Nada.

5. Shocks: Installed F-250 Bilstiens up front. Installed Excursion Bilsteins in the rear, (I probably should have used F-250 shocks in the rear, but I had the Excursion rear shocks prior to the spring swap).

6. Replaced the front bump stops, (original front left had rusted off), with the 2003 model bump stop.

7. In addition to the suspension mods, I also installed a 6.0l transmission cooler, TYMAR air intake, PHP FU performance chip, and the Edge Insight, with EGT probe. I also replaced the front locking hubs, as well as the rear brake calipers, brake hoses and left rear brake line, (the right rear brake was sticking).

Impressions of “before” and “after”:
Before…
- Having driven a 2001 Duramax/Allison crew cab for the past seven years, I first noticed the Excursion’s lack of acceleration, but then again, it weighs 7500#. It will get out of its own way, but did not scoot like the Duramax.
- The Excursion was aligned properly, but while cruising the interstate, the truck would wander left, then left again, then back to the right. I found myself trying to guess which direction it was going to shift next.
- When traversing bumps, railroad tracks, and pot holes, or simply cornering, the truck would handle akin to walking on a water bed. That is, when the front bump stops were not banging off the axle so hard it made me cringe.

After…
- Just installing the Hellwig antisway bar and the rear Bilstein shocks made the truck ride like a Cadillac on the interstate. Nearly all the wandering was corrected, and the waterbed feel was all but gone. However, the front bump stops would still bang hard on the axle when encountering a rough rail road crossing.
- With the addition of the new springs and front Bilsteins, the Excursion now rides like a truck; no more Cadillac ride. What was lost in smoothness was more than made up for by response to rough road conditions. Now when I drive over rough pavement or a rail road track, the Excursion hardly bounces at all. And when I drop my 8500# travel trailer on the bumper, that Cadillac ride is nearly realized once again.
- The PHP performance chip simply rounds out the package. The Excursion is now a pleasure to drive with or without the trailer. The chip has “woken up” the 7.3l.

I’m still running the stock size 265/75 R16 tires. They look a little small now that the body is sitting higher, but they will have to do the job for the foreseeable future, as my bank account will see little in the way of truck money for some time to come. My wife will see to that. However, I think I see a “towmaster transmission” in my future. I can buy one of those for what it cost me to replace the fuel injectors alone in my Duramax.

The Ford Excursion, with its 50’ turning radius and cavernous fuel tank, will probably never be Consumer Reports truck of the year However, the addition of an antisway bar and good shocks provides for a fatigue free driving experience. And, with a few additional modifications, it can be the towing beast with power and room to spare for years to come. I am really loving this truck.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Excellent post!

Gonna add this thread to my Steering Compilation thread!

Reps to you for taking the time to post up!

Stewart

Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Great experiene analysis and very helpful. Curious...did you tighten your steering box at any of these steps?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:42 PM
the ponz
Senior User
I have not fiddled with the steering box as of yet.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by the ponz
Doesn't sound like ya need to! Great Post, reps sent!!

This is EXACTLY the recipe I am following, I just need more time to work on it so I can FINISH!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
the ponz
Senior User
forgot to talk about the trailer numbers

I did not think to add the following information concerning when the trailer is hitched up. It's not much, but a few in the travel trailer crowd might be interested.

I have never weighed my rig, (I know, I know...), so I can only estimate the numbers involved. Your experience may differ.

- trailer is a 33' 1986 Airstream Sovereign.
- the trailer weighs close to 7000# empty, and 8500# at max gross.
- the tongue weight is somewhere between 600-700#

- the rear fender dropped 1 1/2" when the trailer was put on the ball.
- when the weight distribution bars were snapped up, the rear fender came back up 1", and the trailer sits dead level.

For those wanting more details, the hitch is a Reese Dual Cam, Straight Line hitch. I am using 600# trunnion bars. The hitch head is tilted back to allow 5" of clearance between the pavement and the end of the trunnion bars, when they are in a static position, (inserted in the hitch head, not connected to the trailer frame and the end of the bar lifted to by hand). I use chain link #6, (counted from the cam/trunnion bar up to the snap up hook on the trailer frame). The trunnion bars have a nice gradual bow to them, not exaggerated, when ready for departure.

I have road tested the newly sprung truck with the trailer attached at speeds up to 80 mph. The trailer exhibited only a slight wiggle at 80, while enduring a moderate crosswind of 20mph. At my usual towing speed of 65-67mph, she was more than docile. With the cruise control engaged at 67mph, the transmission in overdrive (with the torque converter locked up), an outside air temp of 85*, and going up slight grades, the engine oil temp maxed out at 215*, the transmission temp was 165*, or so, and the EGT peaked at just over 1000*.

I am confident that by using third gear, and reducing speeds to around 50mph, the Excursion will have no difficulty navigating any obscene mountain, (those being "topless"), this side of Pike's Peak.

I am so looking forward to this summer's camping season.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 PM
gbraat
New User
Originally Posted by the ponz
I would definitely "fiddle" with the steering box. I did that at the same time I added my swaybars - huge difference - my 16 year old daughter dirves the Ex with ease at 70 mph - no wandering.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM
seven3smoke
New User
Nice writeup! I cant stress the Lanyot radius rods enough for these trucks. I also added airbags and a built BTS tranny to your list and love the truck.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by seven3smoke
I cant stress the Lanyot radius rods enough for these trucks.
Ditto! Was the first thing I installed on both of my Excursions.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess he stopped making them, anyone know how to get the radius rods?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
the ponz
Senior User
Originally Posted by gbraat
I would definitely "fiddle" with the steering box. I did that at the same time I added my swaybars - huge difference - my 16 year old daughter dirves the Ex with ease at 70 mph - no wandering.
If my 16 year old daughter ever started to "wander", there would be a shotgun involved.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
lol bumped it just to add that one?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 PM
gmcbride
Senior User
The gentleman who created and manufactured Landyot Radius Rods lived in Virginia. If memory serves he sold his X and sold his inventory several years ago?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It wasn't several years ago. He had a problem with his supplier or something a while ago but then started producing them again. From the posts it looks like he just stopped making them in the past year. Shame cause I'd love to have a set, but oh well. You could fab up something similar without much effort. Kelderman sells a 4 link air bag kit to fit the 250/350, I'm sure it would fit an EX. If I ever feel like dumping money into my rear suspension I plan on trying it out.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
since the landyot radius rods are no longer available, is there anything else on the market to fill that void?

I wonder how hard it would be to duplicate them?

Quick Reply: "Before" and "After" Observations: Excursion Suspension and Other Modifications