1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Will it ever be put back together??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
KidShalene
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought mine 'farm fresh' for $400 in '94, my son was 4 yrs old then.

Tore it down to the frame and began what I knew would be a long build, wife and kids don't mix well with what 'I wanted to build'
so 4 years later I had the frame/suspension work almost complete, Fatman IFS, Chris Alston 4-bar w/ford 9". Son was 8 yrs old then.

Then the near-project-killer struck, Divorce. Went into storage for 6 yrs while I 'paid my dues to her and the court' and got re-established.
Brought it home and started to slowly re-kindle the fire with it, but got sidetracked when I bought dirt bikes
for my son and I to ride on 'our weekends', he was 14 yrs old then.

Three years later we sell the dirt bikes and with some of his savings and a little more from me we buy him an '02 Camaro.
I fell in love with it after driving it a few times and decided I had to have one myself.
Long story made short, I ended up with an '00 Corvette as the truck waited patiently in the garage. Son was 17 yrs old then.

Had the time of my life with the vette for 3 years until some fool pulled out it front of me and long story made short again,
it got totaled. When the insurance check came in I went to the garage and had a talk with the truck, No More Waiting It's Your Turn Again Finally.
So I got to work shortly thereafter and now a couple years later it's almost all mocked up and ready for body work, paint and completion within this year I hope....and my son is now 23 yrs old.

Lesson....Life happens while you're making plans and it very seldom follows them.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Beauty,= time ,+money, +sweat, +nics and cuts. So how beautiful do you want it to be?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks guys them are good words.
I better get off my **** and do something.It just really overwhelming,I think about all the flaws and how to fix them and I cant sleep or cant stop thinking about it.
I guess I need to get away for a couple of days and go have fun.
I just want the truck to run good and I will worry when my son is old enough to decide what he wants to do with it.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
I have a small list to do but I have no idea where to start and the heat is not helping.
real reason:Im lazy.
*Need to fab a shroud
*change gaskets
*make under the hood presentable,its a chevy so it wont look pretty but I want presentable
*fix broken exhaust manifold bolt
*paint the manifold
WHERE TO START?????
Top of the list is always good! And you need to give into the darkside...

Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
It only took me about 4 hours to pull the front clip off (thanks to everyone's advice) and pull the flattie out.......how long could it take to get er done?
Keep after it and she will be together before you know it......as stated earlier, starting at the top of the list is a good idea.
w

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought frame rails with a title in 1999, bought a Lincoln Continental donor car in 2000, do the math! It was in storage 3 years while I had medical stuff, been really hot on it about 5 years now. If there was more than 1 Father's Day per year I could get more cash "presents" and be done by now,,,,,MAYBE!!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My son was 11 when he bought the project truck. We didn't start on it right away, and ended up doing other cars....then more other cars. I actually traded a project VW to my son in exchange for the truck when he was 15.

In the end it sat for 12 years behind the barn before I got serious about a project of my own!! I got serious around Thanksgiving last year. I think I might be able to get it on the road by the end of the summer. It won't be "done", but it'll be on the road. I think it'll end up being the "Winchester Mystery Truck".....if I keep working on it, it will never die.

Dan

Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
I never driven her and its working on 10...11 years now? I forgot now....best not to think about it and work toward fiddling. Geezz I could work on it now instead of being on this Darn computer!!! See ya I got a panel to work on.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
It just really overwhelming
You are right. That is why you try not to focus on "everything" that needs to be done. It is simply a matter of, "what is the next step, and how do I complete it?" Break it up into a bunch of small tasks that you can feel good about accomplishing. Eventually all of those small tasks and completions start to add up...

Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
wow i got off lucky ..the yellow peril was parked in 91' stopped running in 2000..and she found me in 2009..half an hour to get her running..3 weeks to do the breaks and fuel tank..and started driveing...but then the 65 T-bird has been 70% done for 4 or 5 years now..I could never gather the Patience to work that long...granted the paint starts to blow off at 48 miles an hour...

Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Well, I started about 8-9 years ago or so. I took the truck apart and it sat for years due to no money. "Woke up" and realized that the truck I had was to far gone. So then I went on a hunt to get a better truck and sold most of the parts off of my first 51. I had the "new to me" 51 for about a year or so before I got to tearing it down. I'm a year into this one now. I'm guessing maybe another year or so I'll be done but I'm not gonna get my hopes up lol

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
2 years and counting. Good progress made.

Simple Formula:

Money for essentials X Labor Hours. Money being the pacing item.....

Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a must with any old ford to put it back together and too leep it running , so make sure you have a really good quality roll around .........................Name:  Duct-Tape.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  32.6 KB

Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
so the recurring theme is ..do not tear it apart...it will surely die....

Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I am going to buy the parts that I need tomorrow and I will star to work on her after I get back.
I want to drive it,I will get her done by thrsday.
I am getting married next week and I dont know if it will change my relationship with the truck.
Or if I will have time anymore,YES I live with the girl but you know how things change after you get hitched.

Quick Reply: Will it ever be put back together??