6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Who's new 2011 Superduty has been 100% perfect so far?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saylamonster
2011, 3/4 ton 6.7PSD, 4x4, Lariat, SCREW, loaded. Job 2, production April 14, 2011 so it has most recent flash.

1500 miles, three weeks, no problems, tranny is smooth, no CEL issues yes, fit, finish, power, all very good - I know its early, so knock on wood.

I will be towing a lot this summer and will post accordingly. I upgraded from a loaded F-150 Lariat because I got tired of pulling a trailer that weighs more than my truck. We pull an 8k lb travel trailer approx. 7500 miles a year - lot of long treks through weather. F-150 was capable, but was working very hard, especially in the hills. It also tended to get pushed around a lot with winds over 20mph when towingthe trailer.

Looking forward to towing with this....

If anyone from Ford pays attention to this site, two suggestions: if you are going to advertise "premium sound system" in these things, put a preimium sound system in them. I traded in a loaded 2009 F-150 with Nav and Sony system, and the Nav/Premium sound in the 2011 F-250 doesn't even come close....some might say for the money, it sucks. I am upgrading the sound in the coming weeks.

Second, will someone please go smack the engineer upside the head that put the coat/clothes hanger hooks in the back rear of the cab above the passenger headrests.......what a dumb, dumb, dumb idea. I am assuming he never has to trasport any dry cleaning, but some of us do. Aside from the fact nothing stays on the hooks and slides off whenever you touch the brakes, when you do have anything on them at all it takes up a rear passenger seat. Did I mention what a dumb idea this was???

On that note, I lifted the headliner up and it looks like there may be some holes above the rear passenger door to mount some sort of hook for a hanger/hook in the traditional spot - anyone have any suggestion?

Oh yeah, and the exhaust, a little noise would be nice! All that power, even a low murmur like the F-150's would be nice. This thing is silent!! My aftermarket guy couldn't believe it and told me to leave it alone until I wring out any warranty issues that may come up in the first year.

Overall, with a couple of annoyances as mentioned above, quality truck. I know there's a lot of complaining going on both this site and Powerstroke.org. I have been following this truck/motor for the last 12 months in anticipation of buying when year one bugs got worked out. Potential buyers need to keep in mind that there are more than 250k of these out now, and statistically speaking, the problems reported on these sites don't seem terribly out of line. Yeah, it sucks for those with a problem child, and hopefully Ford/dealer take care of them. This is my third truck in 5 years from my local dealer, and he's always taken care of any issues.

Obviously, those with "squeaky wheels" are going to make a lot more noise, than those that are happy with a problem-free truck and have never had reason to search out these sites.

Safe Travels
None of the coat hangers are worth a *hit I have always used tie raps. On my new truck I use two tie raps and I can hang several hangers. I always use reusable tie raps so I can take them off and store them for future use....

Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM
sedwardson
Junior User
Amazing. Had an 03' 6.0 PSD short box before and can't believe the difference.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I have the same thing with my trailer when I get after the throttle a bit too much. It is not a mechanical drive line issue though. It's clearly just a torque shudder that is easily smoothed out with slightly less throttle. Even feathering the go pedal I can accelerate an 18,000 lb trailer up an on-ramp quite nicely. There is no problem reaching freeway speeds when it is time to merge.

I know there have been reports of mis-aligned carrier bearings in the rear diff but that is not the case on my truck. I know what torque shudder is and you can make this truck do that with right combination of towing weight and throttle.
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I have tried to convince folks the same Epic, it's cavitation in the converter, high pressure fluid working through the clutch plates in most cases.
You guys may be absolutely right. That's not the reason I'm doing the bags, just a coincidence. Unfortunately, my new F450 sags just as bad, if not worse, than my former '09 F350 SRW. Silly.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
No issues here 4,000 miles.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM
whippa
New User
F-350 11,873 miles...............................perfect !! Pulls my 14000 # like it aint even there !

Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
14,000 km. No issues so far. I love the truck!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10.5Kmi Never an issue, truck has been perfect

Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM
gkerlin
Freshman User
14,000 miles - no problems

I just turned 14k on mine. Bought in 10/2010 and have abuot 7,000 mi towing my 5th wheel. No problems what so ever.

Currently in Idaho on a 12k mile trip with the 5th wheel and am extremely pleased with the performance of the engine brake.

I'm an ex trucker so I'm used to a Jake brake and this engine brake is great!

I've run down 6, 7, & 8% grades and been able to maintain speed and not touch the brakes except to activate the engine brake.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 AM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
13000 + miles no issues

Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by gkerlin
I just turned 14k on mine. Bought in 10/2010 and have abuot 7,000 mi towing my 5th wheel. No problems what so ever.

Currently in Idaho on a 12k mile trip with the 5th wheel and am extremely pleased with the performance of the engine brake.

I'm an ex trucker so I'm used to a Jake brake and this engine brake is great!

I've run down 6, 7, & 8% grades and been able to maintain speed and not touch the brakes except to activate the engine brake.
Sounds good. Are you talking about having it in tow haul mode and tapping the brake pedal? or are you using the manual + and - buttons on the shift lever? I heard also if you put it in cruise it will brake to slow it down when on a strong downhill run.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by capt caper
Sounds good. Are you talking about having it in tow haul mode and tapping the brake pedal? or are you using the manual + and - buttons on the shift lever? I heard also if you put it in cruise it will brake to slow it down when on a strong downhill run.

The integrated exhaust brake only works while in T/H mode, and T/H only works while in D. Once you place the shift selector in M, you defeat T/H mode and the exhaust brake feature.

Yes, while in T/H mode, and the cruise set, if the truck exceeds the set speed by more than about three-four mph, the tranny will downshift automatically to try and hold to the selected speed.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
gkerlin
Freshman User
Engine Braking

Originally Posted by capt caper
The other post is correct. Must be in T/H mode.

I'm using a combination of cruise or braking to activate the engine brake depending on the situation. The operation is fully automatic so it's not real intuitive but with some time (and hills) it becomes apparent real quick that it will come on when its needed.

I still wish that I had a switch to turn it on and off but other than that it works great. On a steep hill a push on the break and it starts working.... another push and it downshifts and works harder.

Its quiet but on a hill there is no doubt how it is holding you back. It has way exceeded my expectations.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
jim48
Elder User
3300 miles on mine now, 1800 towing the posted 5th wheel. I love it!! I have noticed my truck will downshift going down grade when in D, cruise set and NOT being in T/H. The first time this happened it startled me when the transmission shifted down. I had it do it again today. Perhaps the chassis cabs are different, I don't know. But do not have to be in T/H for the braking effect, just have to have the cruise control set. Once it did the downshift and it seemed to have a little trouble shifting back up, but hasn't happed again.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by jim48
3300 miles on mine now, 1800 towing the posted 5th wheel. I love it!! I have noticed my truck will downshift going down grade when in D, cruise set and NOT being in T/H. The first time this happened it startled me when the transmission shifted down. I had it do it again today. Perhaps the chassis cabs are different, I don't know. But do not have to be in T/H for the braking effect, just have to have the cruise control set. Once it did the downshift and it seemed to have a little trouble shifting back up, but hasn't happed again.
I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I was going down some steep grades, not towing and the cruise was set. Unlike other vehicle's I have had, the speed would have increased unchecked. Not this time, the speed set by the cruise control was maintained. I believe the transmission was shifting to compensate, but was also wondering if engine braking was coming in to play? I think this calls for a new thread!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by dixoncity
I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I was going down some steep grades, not towing and the cruise was set. Unlike other vehicle's I have had, the speed would have increased unchecked. Not this time, the speed set by the cruise control was maintained. I believe the transmission was shifting to compensate, but was also wondering if engine braking was coming in to play? I think this calls for a new thread!
I am not positive, but I think if you hit a really steep grade, the truck will use the engine brake. We had a thread going a while back about the cruise control behavior. Some love it, other hate it. I liked the fact the truck picked up speed and I could use it as momentum for the next hill. Others liked it because you don't need to worry about the LEO catching you speeding at a bottom of a hill.

Quick Reply: Who's new 2011 Superduty has been 100% perfect so far?