Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To oil spray, or not to oil spray?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM
69oiler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm a firm believer in oiling. this was a clean CA truck when i bought it in 2000 and this video was taken just before i sold it on '08 after being my daily driver through 7 Cleveland Ohio winters and 306k total miles.

oiling does help. waxing does too.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:50 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been considering oiling the underside of the Ex before the salt starts flying in the Chicagoland area.

I know most folks here have good results in oiling their trucks.

I've also read on other forums that its a bad idea since the oil will end up trapping some water and will increase the chances of getting more rusts.

Any truth to this claim? What have you experienced?

I have about 15 quarts of used oil in my garage that I'm planning of using. Is that good enough? Quality and quantity wise?

I already bought a hand pump sprayer similar to this Nu-Calgon 4771-3 220CP Hand Pump Poly Sprayer-2 1/2 Gal: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

at Menards on sale for two 1-gallon sprayers for $8.00 -- I could not pass up the deal.

Would this type of sprayer work with oil?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sammatt1
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been considering oiling the underside of the Ex before the salt starts flying in the Chicagoland area.

I know most folks here have good results in oiling their trucks.

I've also read on other forums that its a bad idea since the oil will end up trapping some water and will increase the chances of getting more rusts.

Any truth to this claim? What have you experienced?

I have about 15 quarts of used oil in my garage that I'm planning of using. Is that good enough? Quality and quantity wise?

I already bought a hand pump sprayer similar to this Nu-Calgon 4771-3 220CP Hand Pump Poly Sprayer-2 1/2 Gal: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

at Menards on sale for two 1-gallon sprayers for $8.00 -- I could not pass up the deal.

Would this type of sprayer work with oil?
Nothing wrong with bringing up old threads

I doubt if the oil would hold water and the wind should blow it out or dry it anyway if it did.

That sprayer should work with no problem.

That sounds like plenty of oil and oil is pretty much oil.

Overall it sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
One of the FEW things I like about Kalifornia,,, the preservation factor,,, but I do still spray the oil on the underside,,, left over from growin up south of KC, MO!!
I say spray, spray, spray baby!!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
I doubt if the oil would hold water and the wind should blow it out or dry it anyway if it did.
It did not make sense to me either. If the oil is there as a barrier, the metal will obviously not make contact with the water. And yes it will eventually evaporate. I will definitely doing this asap.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snowseeker helped me out with the same question.

Here is the link to the thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-experts.html

Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I have no rust problems here but it seems like every state has is downside to it. When I lived in South Dakota it would be a nice sunny summer day and then black clouds would roll in, next would be lightening, then huge hail stones, and then if there was no cover anywhere the hail would total your truck out........really!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Jarhead97
Senior User
Kyle - Thanks for the link to that thread!

I made the trip from Ohio back to Texas to pick up my rust free 05 Ex and I'm beyond paranoid coming up on my first winter in Ohio with it. I've already had a local shop that did the lift spray a 3M undercoating on the underside but after reading that thread... I think I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the money on a trip to Ziebart AND then still spray it down with some Fluid Film!

Aside from hosing it down throughout the winter to wash the salt off, I guess that's the most I can do!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jarhead97

I made the trip from Ohio back to Texas to pick up my rust free 05 Ex and I'm beyond paranoid coming up on my first winter in Ohio with it. I've already had a local shop that did the lift spray a 3M undercoating on the underside but after reading that thread... I think I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the money on a trip to Ziebart AND then still spray it down with some Fluid Film!

Aside from hosing it down throughout the winter to wash the salt off, I guess that's the most I can do!
That 3m should work for at least a season

Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your welcome.

I've heard nothing but good things about Fluid Film. I would love to undercoat my whole truck with that stuff.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Jarhead97
Senior User
I agree to a point. My biggest concern is protecting where they didn't get the 3M product. As I've crawled around under the truck I've noticed places they've missed and places where didn't power wash as good as they should have before they applied the product.

The description of the Ziebart services by droldsmorland in the other post is spot on and is much more of a complete service both from the prep and door injection for instance. Ziebart was my original plan but these guys cut me a deal and I figured something was better than nothing in case my schedule didn't permit getting to Ziebart before they start throwing salt down.

The addition of Fluid Film might be overkill, but the talk about oil seeping into areas you can't spray cuts down on my rust paranoia.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I agree to a point. My biggest concern is protecting where they didn't get the 3M product. As I've crawled around under the truck I've noticed places they've missed and places where didn't power wash as good as they should have before they applied the product.

The description of the Ziebart services by droldsmorland in the other post is spot on and is much more of a complete service both from the prep and door injection for instance. Ziebart was my original plan but these guys cut me a deal and I figured something was better than nothing in case my schedule didn't permit getting to Ziebart before they start throwing salt down.

The addition of Fluid Film might be overkill, but the talk about oil seeping into areas you can't spray cuts down on my rust paranoia.
Sounds like overkill to me and just an expensive band-aid for nothing. It might not even be compatible with the 3M. tell them to redo it, and you should have done that right away.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 AM
camp nh
Senior User
Well, One of the shops in New Hampshire uses chain saw oil. They heat it up then spray it on. It sticks better on the frame because the oil is thicker.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Jarhead97
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Sounds like overkill to me and just an expensive band-aid for nothing. It might not even be compatible with the 3M. Get some cajones and tell them to redo it, and you should have done that right away.
EXv10 - I've sat on this for a bit just so I don't over react... I can appreciate your opinion on whether or not it would be overkill which I think I made the comment myself that it's probably overkill but gives me piece of mind. Good question on whether or not the Ziebart application is compatible with the 3M product and I'll be sure to ask if that is a concern. I expect that the professionals at Ziebart will be able to tell me that since they've been in the business of preventing rust on vehicles since 1959.

As for someone I don't know telling me to get some cajones - you don't know me that well.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Yup, the hand pump sprayer did not work for the oil, too thick -- it was à slow solid stream.

Any ideas what I can use to spray the oil?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To oil spray, or not to oil spray?