1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Reviving dad's 74 F100 (one owner truck)

Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Rear brake shoes, wheel cyls, and adjuster cables (1 was broke, 2 pack was $2) went on today. Gave it a gravity bleed (helper got called away). Still not happy with the pedal feel, but called it quits for the day as the light was fading fast. Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow, should be able to finish bleeding and insure the shoes are properly adjusted. Top off the rear axle with gear oil and put the wheels back on, go for a test drive.
Oh yeah, also had to buy a full hardware kit. Both hold down springs on 1 side were broken. Naturally, it was side I did last. The greasy side. Didn't want to get hands/tools greasy before tackling the the other side. Glad I did though, as that self adjuster was stuck. Broke it loose, and cleaned/greased it, now works like new. Engine assembly lube is a bit extreme, but it was all I had handy.......

Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Quick midday update. Finished bleeding all 4 wheels, till the fluid was coming out clear (used a full quart bottle). Now has good firm pedal and no dash warning light.
Will refill the axle, check the axle vent, and put the rear wheels back on, then go for a test drive.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Daveyj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome. Gives a little more confidence when you got a firm pedal.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Axle was just a hair over a quart low on gear oil. All I had was the quart bottle I opened to prelube the wheel bearing, so it's still a hair low.
Vent was clear.
Brakes work fantastic, so I ventured out around town for a while. Stopped by the parts store to get new wiper refills, as there weren't much left of the old ones. The guys there had to give her a good looking over, since I've been in there buying stuff for it for a while.
Still got a little flat spot on acceleration. Not sure if it's the used points I installed, or the carb that I barely repaired. Could also be from the timing that I cranked around till the vacuum advance hit the water outlet. Think it needs a few more degrees advanced, cause once that little hesitation is gone, so is she....... I forgot just how strong that 390 can pull.
Been holding off on new points/condensor, as I want to upgrade to electronic. Same reason I haven't replaced the plug wires. My idiot sister's idiot boyfreind pulled #4 apart at the plug, so it still has an occasional miss. Kinda hard to hear it, over the exhaust manifold gasket that is blown, also at #4.
He also added some factory mufflers at the very rear of the system, because he didn't like the glasspacks. I'll cut them off and run ~30" of new tailpipes, like dad always did, straight out the rear. Tempted to put 3" ID X 24" tips on it, just for the heck of it.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 PM
squirrel1182
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
...Been holding off on new points/condensor, as I want to upgrade to electronic....
I saw this and immediately thought of the electronic ignition i just put on my '73. Itd run slightly rough before i installed the ignition and after it was much smoother. The kit i installed also had a rev limiter on it so when i want to go fast i dont blow my motor. If you would like ill post a link to the ignition as i still have it bookmarked. lol

Old 12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by squirrel1182
I saw this and immediately thought of the electronic ignition i just put on my '73. Itd run slightly rough before i installed the ignition and after it was much smoother. The kit i installed also had a rev limiter on it so when i want to go fast i dont blow my motor. If you would like ill post a link to the ignition as i still have it bookmarked. lol
I'd look at it, as I haven't made any firm decisions about which way to go. I do know the truck ran more consistantly when dad the old "ignitor" (pertronix?) system on it back in the early 80's. Of course, it was also running on LP.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 PM
squirrel1182
Freshman User
Crane Cams 750-1705 - Crane XR-i Points-To-Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits - Application - SummitRacing.com

Imho its better than the pertronics kit. My friend has one of the pertronics kits on a 390 and he ordered one of the crane cams kits because he likes it better than what he has.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Thanks! That is one of the "drop in" kits on my short list.
I'm kinda leaning towards the stock DS2 system, recurved to match the needs of this engine, but haven't fully committed to anything yet. I have gone as far as sourcing a factory engine harness for a DS2 though......

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Hmm, haven't updated this thread in a couple weeks.
The minor stumble on tip-in was getting worse, so I investigated a little closer. Guess who forgot to snug the dist hold down......
Yep, timing had backed itself off. Bumped it back up and snugged the hold down to prevent a repeat.

Got those stupid mustang mufflers off the ends of the tailpipes, and replaced them with 3" X 24" stainless tips. Sounds much better now.

Replaced the front bumper with a decent, though not perfect bumper. It was free, and is much straighter than the original, so it'll do for now. Truck no longer appears to be frowning all the time.

Tomorrow's weather is forecast to be near record warm, so I'm thinking of getting it out for a little further trip than just a mile or 2 from the house. Supposed to attend a family thing about 10 miles down the road, should be a good test of how it's going to drive after having sat for about 4 years.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
Great story bro.... Everybody needs an old ford!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
redsuperduty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, awesome story! I tracked down my Dads 78 Lariat 4x4 450 miles away, bought it and restored it. I know what you mean about it being priceless, I'm glad your Dads truck never got away!!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Took it out for a short (20 mile round trip) drive on the highway. Aside from the tires needing balanced, it actually drove pretty well. Not really sure if it's just tires that need balancing, or if one of those antique pre-2000 rear tires is starting to come apart inside. Could feel some vibration in the steering wheel, so I figure there's a weight or 2 that has fallen off.
I was rather nervous driving it at 55-60 with those tires on the back, but otherwise it felt good to get it out on the road.
Lots of relatives had to go take a peek, as it's been many years since some of them have seen that icon. Some never had.
Get some better tires on it, and I'll be about ready to try going the 25 or so miles to dad's in it, weather permitting.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I got it out for another short trip, as a buddy came to town to look at a ZF swap "kit" from a donor truck that he happened to find on craigslist, and it was just a couple miles from my house.
He brought along a wiper switch and governor from an 82 he bought for parts, along with the radio antenea and coax, plus a camera.
Gratuitous pic of me and the truck:

Truck is a bit dirty, and needs a good polishing. There's no hope for improving my looks, though......

Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
A couple more:

Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the white wall tires. They are a nice touch. I think your story is great and I know very much how you feel. I hope your Pops gets to ride in his truck very soon. I bet it will make him feel ten years younger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reviving dad's 74 F100 (one owner truck)