Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Drained top end oil, engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Krazymaan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drained top end oil, engine won't start

my 2001 E350. I decided to try that top end oil drain routine. Van was running good and it was warmed up for a few hours from driving. So I siphoned out about 1/2 court of black sludgy oil. I put a quart back into it. Motor started for about 5 seconds. died. End of story. I cranked and cranked, tried a shot of starting fluid, it pops off and dies in 2 seconds. I crank and crank, nothing. I decided to put another 1/2 court of oil into it. Nothing at all, I am stumped. Ya, I put the oil into the set screw hole on top of the reservoir. Anybody?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Try topping off the oil through the normal oil fill hole. Then turn the key to ON not START for about 30 seconds and see if that helps.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

The oil level should be 1/2 inch from the top, maybe you put too much in.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Jmatthews
The oil level should be 1/2 inch from the top, maybe you put too much in.
Good point. Maybe drain a bit too.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Can't help, but curious as to what you find. Do you have a scanner that can measure hout what PSI yout ICP is seeing?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Krazymaan
Senior User
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Good point. Maybe drain a bit too.
I'm all for good ideas, but i don't see how having the level 1/2" from the top has to do with anything. Drain some out? I was under the assumption that i could pour 6 quarts into that little hole and the left overs will just drain into the oil pan.
Ok, I will g stick something in that hole and measure the height. Can't hurt. Someone's gotta be right.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Krazymaan
I'm all for good ideas, but i don't see how having the level 1/2" from the top has to do with anything. Drain some out? I was under the assumption that i could pour 6 quarts into that little hole and the left overs will just drain into the oil pan.
Ok, I will g stick something in that hole and measure the height. Can't hurt. Someone's gotta be right.
I dont understand it exactly either. I'm no diesel mechanic. But I do know that these engines use the oil to power the lifters and such, and perhaps if there is too much oil it is hard for them to move? Dont shoot the village idiot (me) but it seems if Ford prescribed 14-15 quarts, then I wouldnt want to go over or under that

Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

If you drained out a 1/2 quart and put back in 1 1/2 quarts all other things being equal??? Sometime it takes a while for the pressure to build. Maybe you ran down your batteries, charge them tonight and try in the morning. I bet it will start.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Krazymaan
Senior User
Batteries are still good, engine cranks over at like 1000 rpm with that high torque starter. I rechecked the oil level, its good. When you crank and crank, it eventually smells like an old dried out fuel can. meaning i know i am not getting fuel. which of course is related to not having high oil pressure. Now I am wondering about sensors, Thinking about what sensor tells the fuel pump that there is enough oil pressure and where that bugger is located so i can test it. I found the sensor on the front of the drivers side head. I found the sensor that is on top of the reservoir and the one in the back of the reservoir. the one on the back looks like it would be an oil level sensor. I'll have to check into this after dinner. I don't know what the other two are yet. I'm just trying to figure out what to do next. Any Ideas?
The wife thinks that because the old oil was so black and nasty that the sensor went into "shock" after the new oil got put in. Now it don't know what to do, so it won't let the engine start. Lets hope she isn't right.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM
MX_Fyrcaptain
Senior User
I was under the assumption that i could pour 6 quarts into that little hole and the left overs will just drain into the oil pan. "
You are correct. It would just take a long time. Charge batteries and check connections. A loose terminal will cause hard/no start.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unplug the icp sensor. Its on the front of the the drivers side head and try starting it. It has nothing to do with sensor shock. The oil you pulled out of the res is exactly the same as the oil in the crankcase. You either have air in it now or you might have knocked some crap in there and now the ipr is stuck. It only takes a small particle to jam up an ipr