Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in oil

Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
4wydnr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coolant in oil

I recently put a different engine in my truck since the previous one shelled out two rods. The other day I noticed my coolant was a little low and as I was adding more I realized there was some oil in the overflow tank.

I checked my dipstick and didn't really notice much the oil was a little off colored but nothing terrible. So I let the truck sit for three days and pulled the drain plug this morning and out came 2-3 quarts of pure green coolant, then finally some mixed oil and coolant.

Here is a pic. Seriously this came from my drain plug!

So I pulled the oil cooler off and found a large flat spot on one of the o-rings. I had replaced them while the engine was out but re-used an old o-ring when I broke one of the new ones. So I think I'm going to order another complete kit and start over.

I'm hoping this will solve my problem, but is there anything else I should check?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
beanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to all
Sounds like your on the right track.Never reuse old o-rings.At least you were paying attention and found the problem before you lost another engine.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Ethylene glycol is really hard on bearings. Really hard.

Good thing you caught this when you did.

Pop

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5 View Post
Sounds like your on the right track.Never reuse old o-rings.At least you were paying attention and found the problem before you lost another engine.
I knew better I was just trying to save time, in the end it cost me more time and potentially more issues.

I'm learning plenty of lessons as I go on. I'll get the new kit ordered and re-installed.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Also is there something I should or can do to help clean all the coolant from the oil pan and galleries?

I was planning on changing the oil and filter when I get the cooler fixed. Then running a shorter oil change interval like 500 miles or so if there are no other issues.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM
ToMang07
Postmaster
ToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant futureToMang07 has a brilliant future
I would find the cheapest dino-diesel oil I could and use that, at least until I know I had the problem fixed... then switch back to whatever you normally use.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Well, the local ford dealer matched the diesel orings price and has everything in stock. So this afternoon I'm going to pick them up. Along with another filter and oil from walmart.

It sure was a lot easier pulling the oil cooler off when the engine was on the stand. Instead of in the truck with everything mounted up.

I was planning on running schaeffers oil in this motor but something told me to drive it a while first. I'm sure glad I just had rotella in there.

This is not a bash against diesel o-rings. I bought the full mechanics kit from him and he shipped it immediately. He also answered my dumb questions when I called. I just like to do business locally when I can and it doesn't cost me extra money. I know walmart isn't local but they carry the motorcraft filters for cheap.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
4wydnr
Elder User
I got everything put back together last night and it went much smoother than before. I found a small scrape that had bur on it in one of the ends so I smoothed it out and was able to slide it back together.

While I was working I found a filter block from an old fuel tank that I'm going to try and turn into a coolant filter. Hopefully it is common thread size for a reasonably priced filter.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Coolant filters have a different filtration media inside for use with water, not oil. You can't use just any old filter, you must use a COOLANT filter.

Those filters have their own thread size, and it's 11/16-16. I'll bet your new-found filter head isn't.

My piece of unsolicited advice? Be careful where you're going here.....

Pop

Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
4wydnr
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Coolant filters have a different filtration media inside for use with water, not oil. You can't use just any old filter, you must use a COOLANT filter.

Those filters have their own thread size, and it's 11/16-16. I'll bet your new-found filter head isn't.

My piece of unsolicited advice? Be careful where you're going here.....

Pop
I do appreciate the advice. I was going to see if I could find a coolant filter to fit. But if they are all the same thread the idea is dead. I'll just purchase the correct filter and base and go from there.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
lhud
Elder User
lhud has a good reputation on FTE.lhud has a good reputation on FTE.
Something else to consider when the oil cooler is all apart - carefully inspect the center section with all those little tubes. The ends are pressed or rolled into the holes in the two end pieces. If that section is ever dropped or banged around, those tubers could loosen and cause similar contamination problems - and that is not easily identified.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
Originally Posted by 4wydnr View Post
I do appreciate the advice. I was going to see if I could find a coolant filter to fit. But if they are all the same thread the idea is dead. I'll just purchase the correct filter and base and go from there.
The other two semi-common thread sizes are 3/4"-20 and 1"-16, but most are 11/16"-16.

You may get lucky, however, as some fuel filters are also 3/4"-20 threads.

Of course, you'll have to measure first.

Let us know what that base turns out to have for threads.

Pop