Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just like a big vortex....

Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
RadRick
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok, I'll play! At work we've had two 2007.5 Dodge 2500 CC LB 4x4 6.7L Diesel 6-spd auto trucks for a couple of years, and we just got in two Ford F250 XL CC LB 4x4 6.2L trucks. Both of the Dodge and Ford trucks have 17-inch wheels with 3.73 gears.

Obvously the engines have a very different feel. I come from a motorcycle background and I relate the Cummins to a big bore four-stroke dirtbike, it pulls hard down low and puts out good power without having to down shift. The 6.2L runs like a 250cc two-stroke engine, it has no low end power but once wound up its right there with the bigger engine. They both have about the same powerband spread, the Cummins pulls from 1500 to 3000 rpm, while the 6.2L pulls hard from 4000 to 5500 rpm.

Throttle response is another story. The 6.2L responds quickly under all conditions even if it has to shift down three gears first. The Cummins has very little turbo lag when taking off from a dead stop or accelerating from crusing speed, but in other conditions it is terrible. An example is approaching a red light from highway speeds where you slow to about 20 mph and then it turns green so you try to accelerate, or when trying to make a quick left turn under similar conditions. While coasting down it must create a vacuum in the whole air charging system, because when you get back on the throttle there is nothing, no response at all for a couple of seconds, then you hear the turbo starting to spool and the transmission downshifting and then after about 5 seconds it takes off like a rocket. This is very annoying and potentially dangerous.

The 6.2L runs way smoother and the drive train feels much more refined. The Diesel produces a constant vibration which is made worse by the transmission which shifts into a higher gear too soon and lugs then engine down to 1100 rpm where you can almost feel each cylinder fire. This causes an annoying drive-line vibration that shudders through the whole truck. Using the tow-haul mode helps prevent this.

Brakes. The Dodge has it here. The hydro boost brakes engage right at the top of the stroke and are firm and very powerful. The Ford brakes don't engage until the pedal is half-way to the floor and then they are spongey like air is in the lines, but both Ford trucks are the same so I don't think this is the case. The Fords stop fine once the brakes finally engage, but they don't inspire confidence like the Dodge brakes.

The steering is a toss up. The Ford steering is good, but the Dodge turns very quickly and turns tighter than the Ford. This is great for city driving and parking lots, but I think the Ford would be better for towing.

I don't have any fuel ecomomy data for the Fords because I have only driven them briefly. The Dodges are exacly the same, but for some reason one of them averages 14.6 mpg running empty during easy highway driving, while the other consistently averages 13.6 under the same conditions, even with different drivers.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 AM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. I'll bite! Need info anyhow.

6.2 with 3.73 or 4.30 rear end gearing vs. 6.0 Diesel. I test drove a 6.2 a couple months back, and am still kicking around going back to gas. Mind you the 6.2 had 3.73's and I'm used to the low end grunt in the diesel. Meanwhile I'm keeping in mind what Im towing, a Fifth Wheel which is usually loaded to about 8000 pounds, and sometimes I pull the boat behind, so add another 4000 pounds when it's full.

My impression of the 6.2 was this, it felt like everything a 6.0 Diesel is, but lacked the low end grunt, which I think would be comprable if I'd driven a truck with 4:30 gearing, why don't dealers stock one of these? I can't even drive what I'd like to buy? Or do I stick with the 3.73's and pull the camper with the nicely equipped 6 speed, maybe using 5th gear more often? There is one wicked hill in a city near me which I frequently tandem or triple trailer through, and I don't want to make the wrong decision on gearing in a new truck.

I usually get about 10-12 pulling my fifth, in which it sounds like many people are getting out of the 6.2 while towing, I know I'm gonna eat some fuel not pulling compared to the diesel, but when I'm burning winter fuel for 1/2 the year, at 40 to 50 cents a gallon more as it was last year, I think I'd end up even or ahead cost wise, not to mention not paying extra for oil changes, winter additive, summer addiditive, and having a lot more faith in the truck starting when it's -30 degrees F outside!

I know theres guys out there who have made this exact swithch! Please Chime in!

Thanks,
Chris
Northern Minnesota

Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Chris I am in the middle of making the switch for all of the reasons you mentioned and a few more. I have a 6.2 with 4.30's coming in one week. I will be pulling a 12K fifth wheel with it. Most of my towing is on pretty flat ground to rolling hills with the odd steep one thrown in once in a while just for giggles. We don't venture into the mountains much. I should be able to get back to you with how it tows it in about a month after I have had it for a bit. I usually don't tow much more than 1500 or so miles per year in the summer so for me it was a no brainer to switch back. Life will be so much easier with the 6.2 than it has been with the 6.4 diesel.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went from a 6.0 to an older 6.8. Very happy with the switch as my V10 never let me down and was simple to maintain.
Last fall I decided to replace that truck and drove a new 6.2. I then drove one of the last 6.8's they had on the lot. The 6.2 never felt like it was in the right gear at times and the low end grunt of the 6.8 is missing.
So I ended up buying the 6.8. The two trucks were within $200.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
I for one will miss the 6.8 in the line up. Time will tell but I think it is a mistake replacing it with the 6.2.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When I test drove an SD with the 6.2, it had the 3.73's. They didn't have any with the 4.30's so I had to make my own judgement on how it'd do. I would've ordered a new V10 in a heartbeat if I could've gotten it in my configuration.

I'm anxious to see how it'll pull my 5er (whenever I order it, 38' Cyclone 16k GVWR). I'm interested to see how the truck does at the Ohio truck meet this year against the other motors. I already warned the wife I'm heading over there for the day (only a few hours from me).

Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Boomsling is pulling one over 10k with his and 3.73's and is pleased with how it pulls so I doubt I will encounter any problems with mine pulling.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Sargemo105
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super08
Boomsling is pulling one over 10k with his and 3.73's and is pleased with how it pulls so I doubt I will encounter any problems with mine pulling.
I'm in that same load range and have the 3.73. You'll have plenty of get up and go, but you'll likely be in 4th or 5th a lot, depending on your speed and wind conditions.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
I got into a 6.2 vs EcoBoost debate up in the 09+ forum. It looked like I was going to have some help at first but then I ended up having to answer most of the points myself. Y'all take a look
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...wing-help.html
I think I did a good job of answering all challenges.

Though I don't own a 6.2 yet (I'm waiting for some more Raptors to hit the used market) I've driven quite a few between SuperDuties at work and my own shopping around with both half tons and SDs.

From my experience with them so far they remind me of a 2v 5.4. They have the same torque curve, mostly relying on down shifts to shoot the revs up, though they put a lot more power to the ground at any given RPM. It works great as a "man toy" engine (like Raptors, high end F150s) and I would like to see what it could do in a lighter chassis (half ton XL Reg cab short box). When it comes to the SD spec engine I still feel that, though it's a step up, it's still in the same league as the previous MOD motors. I sold my V10 powered 01 F350 because I wasn't happy with the torque curve. It was a great truck with a good engine that always did what I asked of it but I always felt it was too soft in the lower RPMs. I replaced it with a 97 F350 with a 460 and I'm a much happier camper. The old big block will grunt from idle on up, keeps the shifting to a minimal, and will lug around all day loaded or unloaded.

I'm still a fan of the 6.2 and when I buy a new toy here in a few years (again waiting for used Raptor prices to fall a little) it will be powered by it. But when it comes time for a big heavy pull I'm hooking up the 460.