Clean IAC and Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clean IAC and Throttle Body

Howdy everyone!

Thinking about doing some maintenance to the big X!

Can anyone provide any tips as far as cleaning the IAC valve and the throttle body? Heck are there any guides I missed on here that could make the project easier?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You may want to add cleaning the MAF sensor as well and possibly replace your air filter if you haven't done so in a while.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Air Filter just did today! She was a little gunked up

MAF I'm a little nervous about tacking just beacuse I keep hearings it's so sensitive I figure I'd start with that seems simpler to be (aka no little filaments to break)

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I looked under the hood..and it LOOKS simple, but I figured I'd gain some confidence from the good members of this forum thorugh whatever tips/guides/pics that may be provided! Truck just hit 100,000 miles *tear* so I'm sure a little love in the above mentioned departments will prevent any headaches down the road

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
I've never cleaned the IAC before so I can't be of any help to you. I have cleaned the throttle body. Make sure you use carb cleaner that is suitable for O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

I was scared of cleaning my MAF as well at first, but I just followed the instructions in the V10 forum and it was quite easy. Just spray the wire with the MAF cleaner, but don't touch it at all. Let it dry and make sure that there is no moisture condensation because the cleaner has a solvent that evaporates quickly...making the parts cold. Kinda like how your beer bottle gets wet on the outside on a hot humid day.

Disconnect the negative terminal on your battery prior to your doing this so:

1. You don't short anything out.
2. You clear the computer memory so it relearns the newly cleaned sensor and adjusts accordingly.

It'll help if you get the security star screw bits to remove the sensor from the housing.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
nagetech
Tuned
How about using actual throttle body cleaner for the throttle body? instead of carb cleaner

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
I guess you could. They've got one now. Back a few years ago, it was just carb cleaner for modern O2 sensors. I still have the same can.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Cool!

Just curious, you know any guides or anything that I can use as refernce? Just to be on the safe side.... I do have the gist of what I have to do to take the throttle body out!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
I just clean mine by removing the duct and leaving the TB on.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I just did my old mans throttle body (2006 e250 van) and I had to take it out to really get in there to clean it out (tooth brush and all) and to clean the valve it hooks up too (was dirty as hell in there as well) I figure if I'm going to do this, taking out the throttle body would be the best way to go!

Also, from what I have read, the IAC valve is hooked up right near the throttle body...so it should definitely be easy to do while I'm in there.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nagetech
I just did my old mans throttle body (2006 e250 van) and I had to take it out to really get in there to clean it out (tooth brush and all) and to clean the valve it hooks up too (was dirty as hell in there as well) I figure if I'm going to do this, taking out the throttle body would be the best way to go!

Also, from what I have read, the IAC valve is hooked up right near the throttle body...so it should definitely be easy to do while I'm in there.
Yep, taking it off makes it MUCH easier AND the best stuff I've found is Seafoam. It just melts the black carbon build-up off. Pour some in a small cup and then go after the TB with a toothbrush. Then run some of the Seafoam thru a vacuum line and smoke out the neighbors.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
A few pics here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eanup-day.html

Haven't tackled the IAC, but need to.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nagetech
Truck just hit 100,000 miles *tear* so I'm sure a little love in the above mentioned departments will prevent any headaches down the road
Have you changed the spark plugs yet?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Have you changed the spark plugs yet?
Not yet!

I am learning to do this stuff as I go. I am NOT a mechanic by any means, but am competent enough to learn and do it, espeically so if I have a guide to follow! I have basic tools for dianosing and troubleshooting, and have enough common sense that I can figure out most problems (with the help of google and this forum of course).

I have read guide after guide about spark plug replacement, and can say that is a bit over my "experience" right now. Espeically when I read about how the back 2 are a bitch to get to and risk them breaking and such. Once I tackle these projects, I'll go from there to my next little venture

We all have to learn somewhere, and the X I feel is an excellent learning tool and well worth the effort

Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
Yep, taking it off makes it MUCH easier AND the best stuff I've found is Seafoam. It just melts the black carbon build-up off. Pour some in a small cup and then go after the TB with a toothbrush. Then run some of the Seafoam thru a vacuum line and smoke out the neighbors.

I keep reading about this sea foam.... and I want to try it...but as I mentioned I'm still inexperienced and am learning..... How do I identify the vaccum line and how do I pour it in? I've read about people screwing up and putting too much in there?

Quick Reply: Clean IAC and Throttle Body