Factory HU Sync/NAV Vol Low with Aftermarket Amp/Speakers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics
Reload this Page >

Factory HU Sync/NAV Vol Low with Aftermarket Amp/Speakers

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
alex454
New User
alex454 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I had an aftermarket amp and subwoofer installed with my Factory Head Unit/NAV/Sync in my 2011 Ford F350. The installer used PAC line-level converters. The stereo sounds great, however, I can barely hear the NAV, Sync, and Bluetooth functions even at full volume.

I tried adjusting the input Gain on the amp, but it had no effect.

I read some info about needing a JL Audio clean-sweep? Is this correct? Before I spend the money, will this rectify the problem and how does it correct the problem?

I am curious why the audio was fine and aftermarket amp causes some functions to be of very low volume?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
Hi Alex, welcome to FTE!

Just curious, did you take it back to the installer?

Here is some info on Crutchfield, be sure to check the video, JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep® Sound processor for use when adding amps and speakers to a factory system at Crutchfield Signature

Do you happen to know the model no. of the PAC line-level converter installed?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
wharrell
Senior User
wharrell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Alex:

Please keep us updated on the solution to this issue. Did you go into the Navigation system Menu and make sure the Voice Feedback was set at a higher level. That only adjusts the voice feedback though, and not the sound level of the Synch Phone or Bluetooth input.

I am currently about to spend several $1000 to make the $1800 2011 Navigation 'Premium Audio' with paper speakers listenable. I am trying to research all the gotchas before committing my hard earned money on making improvements to the existing stock system.

Coming from the 2008 $1800 Navigation with Audiophile Amplifier and speakers, I am disappointed in the $150 level sound of the stock Navigation Audio System. Ford totally missed the quality mark on this system. It is entirely inadequate for the truck.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Part-Timer
Senior User
Part-Timer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alex,

Do you know if it was PAC model #AOEM-FRD24 ?

My understanding is that standard LOCs do not work because of the DSP that is done in the factory head unit. For that reason, you need a signal processor (like the CleanSweep) that will sum the signals and restore them to full frequency before feeding the amps.

The PAC model listed above is supposed to be an inexpensive signal summing processor. If you do a search on the sonicelectronix website, you will find that one 2011 Super Duty owner had great success with that unit. I would prefer not to have to go with the Clean Sweep because of the need for additional add-on modules (e.g. the signal summing module) and because the actual play back volume of the system is controlled through a master volume **** hooked up to the Clean Sweep rather than through the head unit. Another option would be Audio Control's LC6i.

However, for $44 I'm hoping that the PAC unit will do the job.

Brian

Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
alex454
New User
alex454 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Problem Solved

The installer solved the problem. I am not exactly sure what they did to fix it. They noted something about using the wrong line-level inputs.