6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rear sway bar install on a F350 with 20” wheels! (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
JOHNWSC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHNWSC
Today I installed a Hellwig rear sway bar on my 2012 f-250 super crew 4x4 diesel.Part # 7714. I have it set on the softest setting and it made a big difference.The truck is much flatter when turning and just feels nicer driving in general.I bought it thru amazon $198.00 shipped.It cost a little more than stock.The diameter is 1 1/8" and I believe stock is 5/8".Install was straight forward with no issues.The bolt install behind the DEF tank was a snap,only the spare had to be lowered.It's a nice, clean neat install.I hope this helps someone who is on the fence as I was vs a stock sway bar.
Today I uninstalled my Hellwig sway bar part # 7714.I kept hearing a thud in the rear of the truck when I went over a certain bump on a angle.I adjusted the sway bar,retightened and retightened with no success.I'm not so crazy about how the bar connects to the rear with the u bolts provided.Too bad they didn't make one like ford just thicker to mount in the factory mounts.I thought the bar might have been twisting on the diff housing but couldn't tell for sure.I can't handle clunks, rattles or squeaks.I probably could have kept working on it and possible solved it,but I could see it giving me trouble sometime in the future.So I ordered the factory setup from Tasca and will install as soon as I get it and post my comparison of performance on the two bars. This might be a classic case of bigger isn't always better.I did notice the stock bar mounts closer to the outside of the axle ,which to me seems it wouldn't need to be as thick.We will see.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I look forward to your thoughts on the stock swaybar after you install it. Thanks for taking the time to post the comparison and follow-up.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
I received all my parts for this project but am still waiting on the spare tire security socket. I realized in December that I did not get one with my truck and the dealer ordered it.
Test fit the stabilizer but I cannot get the top nut on the driver's side link without dropping the spare tire. Frustrating since I have the time off to do it.

Also waiting on a Bilstein front steering stabilizer, apparently Bilstein took 2 weeks off from production for the Holiday's......backordered.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
dmags
Senior User
another day another mod

Thanks for that info I guess it's off to the dealer Monday.
God I Love this site!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM
JOHNWSC
New User
Sway bar comparison in limbo

Originally Posted by JOHNWSC
Today I uninstalled my Hellwig sway bar part # 7714.I kept hearing a thud in the rear of the truck when I went over a certain bump on a angle.I adjusted the sway bar,retightened and retightened with no success.I'm not so crazy about how the bar connects to the rear with the u bolts provided.Too bad they didn't make one like ford just thicker to mount in the factory mounts.I thought the bar might have been twisting on the diff housing but couldn't tell for sure.I can't handle clunks, rattles or squeaks.I probably could have kept working on it and possible solved it,but I could see it giving me trouble sometime in the future.So I ordered the factory setup from Tasca and will install as soon as I get it and post my comparison of performance on the two bars. This might be a classic case of bigger isn't always better.I did notice the stock bar mounts closer to the outside of the axle ,which to me seems it wouldn't need to be as thick.We will see.
I got all my parts but 1 bracket for the bushing mount,Still waiting for it.I don't know how Big-Sarg tightened the nut behind the DEF tank with a stubby wrench.Must have a BIONIC arm and wrist.I had to remove the bolts from the DEF tank mount and the bracket right next to it that holds the electronic STUFF and I was able to get a two 1/2" extensions together along with a cordless impact in on a slight angle with no issues at all.All in all it took an extra 10 -15 minutes.I definitely like the way the stock bar mounts to the rear much better.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Dave at Hellwig
New User
JOHNWSC - Please give me a call at 559-734-7451 x36. I'd like to talk to you regarding your noise issue. Usually a clunk occurs when the end link bolts are not tight enough. The end link bolts need to be tightened down enough so that the spacer in the center of the bushing is locked against the sway bar. The saddle brackets on the axle are located in the same location as the factory 2010 and earlier sway bar. The reason we chose to locate the bar in this manner on 4x4 applications is to gain ground clearance as the factory sway bar hangs very low. If the saddles are torqued to spec they will not move. The US Border Patrol uses our sway bars on their desert patrol vehilcles and we have not had any failures in their applications.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Gunny77
Senior User
What a PIA, guess I'm off to Sears to find the "right" tool for the left side link that the DEF tank is in the way of.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Gunny77
Senior User
Mission accomplished. Rear Sway bar is installed.

If your going to do this install, this tool is your friend

Name:  IMG_1228.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  113.8 KB

Old 01-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
ordering this when I order the bilstein shocks

Good to go

Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
JOHNWSC
New User
Well,I finished up the factory sway bar install and took it out today.To my surprise it worked well for the size of it.No noises at all, it tightened up the rear a decent amount.Not as stiff as the Hellwig bar.I liked the way the Helwig felt better.I spoke to Dave from Hellwig and he was certain i didn't have something properly torqued down.I guess it is possible ,I felt confident I did it properly.Upon speaking to him he informed me that Hellwig is releasing a new bar in a month or so for the 2wd super duty that will mount in the factory mounts on the rear.He told me the reason for mounting the 4wd the way they did was to gain ground clearance.I will most likely order that when it comes out.It would be great if it could be mounted to the stock links.It would be a 2 minute swap.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Budlight592
Senior User
Well I got the parts all here and got to the drivers side only to drop the nut on the frame rail. That took 1 hr to get it back so went back and read the post again about moving the def tank around a bit to make room only to drop nut between tank guard and tank itself. Now I am going to lower tank completely to do this install what a pita! Good thing it's raining here today probably spend half day doing this!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
See post above, that little shorty wrench made the job a lot easier.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Budlight592
Senior User
Yea I saw the post but the nut fell between the tank and tank cover so I can't reach it and with the 5th wheel prep there is even more added stuff in the way.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:42 AM
paul100
Senior User
I just added the factory sway bar to my 2012 f350. The factory 5th wheel prep kit mounts in exactly the wrong spot and blocks any attempt to get your hand down in there or any tool. Like the JOHNWSC and Budlight592, I ended up remove the mounting bolts for the DEF tank and dropped the tank about 2 inches and then got in there with a looong extension and a u-joint. But, man do I really need to buy some racketing box end wrenches, those mount bolts don't have enough clearance for a socket and Ford seems to like to use bolts long enough to have an inch of threads past the nut.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
willingtonpaul
New User
i am doing this on my truck also. i called my dealer to see what they would charge for parts and labor. the reply after some research was $740. i think i will be doing it myself !!! thanks to all that posted great tips on the install.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar install on a F350 with 20” wheels! (Pictures)