6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OIL COOLER & EGR DELEATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I actually think the oil cooler is a "simpler" job than replacing an injector it just has a few more nuts and bolts. Just remember to soak the turbo and exhaust bolts with some PB blaster the night before start. I won't even mention that I hate 4" downpipes--LOL

I'll be around here pretty much all weekend so shoot me a PM if you have problems or want my cell #, but if you can do an injector this should be a breeze.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benny good luck if you have any questions give me a call , i to will be wrenching also my brother coming up today . We are putting on a 4.5" long arm lift this weekend so will be in garage , just remember take your time and keep it clean.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Get a turkey baster to remove the quart of oil in the valley of the oil cooler.

Also, use a pry bar to get the plastic CAC tube back onto the intake.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
update

well I finally got that turbo out what a POS that back bolt was lots of cussing for a min definatly going to antiseize them bolts when they go back in. Did it just like you said David with the wrench and push stick worked like a champ
when you guys put that back bolt in would it be ok just to snug it up and not torque it so tight it was a ******* I thought it was going to break
but then I got it. Could not believe that back bolt was soooooooo tight

now the wire harness is all unplugged from the intake manafold surprising I didnt break any connectors

?? do I need to unplug the injectors at least on one side to get the intake out or will it slide past them???

and Im just about ready to undo the upper fuel bowel and oil filter

When is it going to gush oil when I pull the upper oil filter housing or
when I pull the oil cooler itself the bottom part or both

Its dirty in the engine valley should I try and clean it before I pull the oil cooler

Thanks for all the help you guys ROCK

Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Benny my back bolt not there any more, last time i had turbo out dropped it couldn't find it so i check the other two from time to time. I unplugged all injectors and then you can pull the harness out of the way and zip tie it to something . fuel bowl and oil filter stuff comes off no mess, you need to clean engine valley before pulling oil cooler.You don't want trash in oil galley and then find its way to your IPR screen, somebody on here had that problem before. And when you roll the cooler out oil will flow backward . So i took shop vac and sucked it up as i pulled it out , its still messy as hell to do . Any questions just ask.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
rain delay

anyway sucked the valley with the shopvac sucked the fuel bowel dry too and then unhooked the fuel lines

on the oil filter housing I broke the 4 bolts loose but didnt remove them yet just had to come check the tech folder didnt want to break it or something

when it stops raining Ill go unplug those injectors and pull that oil filter housing and return stem

I have to clean that valley better my IPR looks nasty to get to when its back together

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
maybe its not going to stop raining I will bust out a tarp tommorrow if I have to

Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...connector.html
also I hate to say it but leave that back bolt out. the turbo wont go anywere without in not there.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
ok I will leave the back bolt out I didnt think it would go anywhere just didnt want the turbo to warp or something IDK

that back bolts in the oven surrounded by all that exhaust it sucked and the bolts looked like they got put in dry no antiseize from the assembly plant

I will push the clip and then pull the injector harness off all of them thanks guys just dont want to unhook any more than need be thought I would ask

one more thing do I need to remove the Y pipe so I can change the up pipe that deleates the exhaust to the egr cooler.
The instructions that came with the deleate said remove the y pipe to get the up pipe out but they did remove the intake manafold either
since Im doing the oil cooler too my intake will be out thought I might be able to slip the new one in

thanks benny

Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Its easyer to remove the howl y-pipe and install the new section out of the truck.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
okI will pull the Y pipe

where do you take the driver side up pipe loose at the exhaust manafold or is there another connection behind those heat sheilds up top by the y

the passenger/ egr cooler side up pipe didnt look to hard to get at to separate from the Y pipe

Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

both sides come off from the manifold. do what looks best for you though. I just find it less hassel to remove both at the same time.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I would love to take it all out at once

just didnt think it would all fit out at the same time

my egr deleate instuctions show it all coming out in peices

But I new you had a better solution cheezit thanks that will save me a bunch right on

hope my 4 inch AM exhaust dont get in the way its welded at the joints still pretty solid even with the turbo out

I will go pb blaster those bolts now let them soak tonight

thanks for all your help cheezit Id rep ya but I gotta spread alittle

Old 05-28-2011, 05:13 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Benny i had to separate the to at the heat shield you are taking about. I tried to pull it out one piece but with my down pipe in the way it was not going to happen, and the heat shield i cut off the rivets with die grinder and carbide burr then put it back on with self tapping bolts. Also the to bolts holding the two together are a MF i cut one of them the other came louse . I don't know how cheezitt does it but he is the man the chosen one.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:36 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

with the intake off they come right out. with the intake on you have to remoev the rear ficm bracket and the heat shield that bolts to the back of the engine.

Quick Reply: OIL COOLER & EGR DELEATE