6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Need advice on campers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate all the info! This is turning into a daunting task - I thought it was bad when trying to figure out what all I wanted in my new truck (and I already knew I was getting another F250 diesel). There are so many manufacturers and options that my head is spinning. I am definitely impressed with the slide outs - especially the ones that have them on both sides of the living areas. Thanks for the advice on negotiating as well - I have seen wildly varying prices on the exact same models from different dealers and was wondering how some could be so much lower than others. All I keep thinking is if the price looks to good to be true... In any case, personal experience opinions are exactly what I am looking for - thanks for sharing.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

oh, and as for giving the Dodge boys hell in the rv forums... shame on you, way to kick a man when he's down. how do i know he is down? he owns a dodge doesn't he?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by TXPSD
I appreciate all the info! This is turning into a daunting task - I thought it was bad when trying to figure out what all I wanted in my new truck (and I already knew I was getting another F250 diesel). There are so many manufacturers and options that my head is spinning. I am definitely impressed with the slide outs - especially the ones that have them on both sides of the living areas. Thanks for the advice on negotiating as well - I have seen wildly varying prices on the exact same models from different dealers and was wondering how some could be so much lower than others. All I keep thinking is if the price looks to good to be true... In any case, personal experience opinions are exactly what I am looking for - thanks for sharing.
I know the frustration you are going through. I have been looking at 5th wheel units after spending years as a tag trailer owner. There are literally dozens of these manufacturers, all with their own value proposition. Sorting this out has been challenging to say the least.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a Heartland Cyclone. Very happy with the trailer.

Before buying I flew out to Indiana and toured the 4 big toy hauler plants, Heartland, Keystone, Sunnybrook and KZ. Looked at all the trailers closely.

If it is not going to be a big deal to you - just go buy one, odds are you'll change it out in a year or two anyway.

But if your serious and are planning to spend 45K or more I would suggest going to the Hershey RV show in September.

Just figure the cost of flying, renting a car, getting a room as part of the purchase expense.
You will see more trailers and different types then you can imagine. Hershey is the largest show in the country. You can easily spend 2-3 days there.

Makes it easier if you have an idea of what you are looking for. With literally thousands of trailers to see I limited myself to 5th wheels, 5th wheels I could tow with my truck at the time and trailers that had a private bath, e.g no sink – shower in the bedroom. If it didn’t meet these specs I walked on by.

If you walk into a trailer and something doesn’t seem right – walk right out and keep going.

Coming up with basics means streamlining your search.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM
952X4
Senior User
We recently bought a new Hitchhiker 5th wheel trailer...If you haven't checked out Nuwa Industries I'd strongly reccomend looking over their website... Great trailers, excellent quality, reasonably priced for what you get... I'd buy another one any day of the week....

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Nuwa was on my short list until we decided on a toy hauler. Nice trailers

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Hu Slung Pu
Junior User
We have a 2010 Dutchmen Colorado 31BH. We love the floor plan, and the new F-250 pulls it like a dream.

Colorado Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM
GhstRdr
New User
As posted early in the thread, Forest River's are very popular and there are several sister companies, such as V-Lite by Flagstaff. Forest River is owned by Birkshire-Hathaway, which is controlled by Warren Buffet.
They have a full range of styles, and can get quite reasonable.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:26 AM
ltatkinson
Senior User
I would add to take you time shopping. We have an 2008 Denali and love it but went to look at new ones, just for something to do. Well we found out we would still be WAY upside down on our loan and we put a few bucks down. We are still happy so no big deal, but I realized how bad these lose there value. Personally I like a little heavier trailer, lust seems to pull better and you have the truck for it.

Tim

Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by TXPSD
Hey y'all, I am looking at getting a camper in the next month or two and desperately need some help. From what I have read a fifth wheel is the way to go but beyond that I am lost. I would prefer lighter to heavier, average quality (no luxury, no bargain basement) but have no idea which manufacturers to look at and which ones to stay away from. I will likely end up using this a lot for work as I am a catastrophe adjuster for insurance companies and will be staying at storm sites for extended periods of time but will also use it for fun stuff - love the mountains - so it would need to be good in the heat and the cold. Any pointers/tips/suggestions welcome.

thanks
Airstream!!

http://www.airstream.com/

Best out there. These other cracker boxes are crap,IMO. Heavy and restriced when going to state parks because of height and length. I looked at all Brands. Yes you get a lot or storage and real estate on the Boxes, but whats the term?...Quantity or Quality...thats the decision you need to make. You don't see very many 15 year old 5th wheels or Travel trailers plying down the road, unless it is an Airstream. Those 5th wheels just won't last even with constant maintainance,..Airstreams are made to last,... Yes they cost more but worth every penny. If you plan on doing this for awhile.
I have a 2010 Airstream 25' and yes it is small compared to the beasts you can tow down the road for the same $$$ but I would NEVER purchase one. I'm in it for the long haul.

Another thing how many times do you drive down the road and see a white box 5th wheel or a Travel trailer box and just glance. Now when you see an Airstream, you really take notice and remember it! They are American Icons, just like Ford.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you decide.

Shane

Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by srkr
Airstream!!

Airstream, Inc :: Home

Best out there. These other cracker boxes are crap,IMO. Heavy and restriced when going to state parks because of height and length. I looked at all Brands. Yes you get a lot or storage and real estate on the Boxes, but whats the term?...Quantity or Quality...thats the decision you need to make. You don't see very many 15 year old 5th wheels or Travel trailers plying down the road, unless it is an Airstream. Those 5th wheels just won't last even with constant maintainance,..Airstreams are made to last,... Yes they cost more but worth every penny. If you plan on doing this for awhile.
I have a 2010 Airstream 25' and yes it is small compared to the beasts you can tow down the road for the same $$$ but I would NEVER purchase one. I'm in it for the long haul.

Another thing how many times do you drive down the road and see a white box 5th wheel or a Travel trailer box and just glance. Now when you see an Airstream, you really take notice and remember it! They are American Icons, just like Ford.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you decide.

Shane
Shane - there is a rumor in the RV community that your obsession with limited edition seats has extended to your Airstream. That you paid to have all of your recliners and dining table chairs all redone in limited edition materials. Any truth to this rumor?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Shane - there is a rumor in the RV community that your obsession with limited edition seats has extended to your Airstream. That you paid to have all of your recliners and dining table chairs all redone in limited edition materials. Any truth to this rumor?

shhshshshhshshhhh...

Shane

Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the average time and longest time you've spent camping? Since you're camping in storm ravaged areas, I'll assume (dangerous, I know!) that you will not have power available. You should strongly consider a unit with a built in generator as battery power does not last too long.

Pay close attention to the size of the fresh water, gray waste and black waste tanks and make sure they are sized for your camping needs.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:04 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the risk of being a heretic in this thread......

You're mostly lone-wolfing it? Mostly using it as a rolling home while you work in disaster areas? Occasional mountain use?

And a member advised you consider a generator system?

Hell. Get a slide-in camper (with slide-outs if others will occasionally share a trip with you....not necessary if by yourself). Your 'rolling home' can get into anything your truck can squeeze into....and propane-powered internal generator systems are standard on the bigger models. The small-to-medium size campers are more than adequate for 1 or 2 people......The bigger ones for the long beds can easily accomodate 3 or 4 people.......Plenty of storage too....

Maybe something to consider. And you can carry the camper AND tow a boat or utility trailer behind you as well.

Caveat: Pound-for-pound, a little pricier than a TT or 5th-wheeler......

Now flame-away, sportsfans.......

Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
No offense on the Airstream, but $63K for a 25' camper is a lot in my book. I'll stick with the "box"

Quick Reply: Need advice on campers...