Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Powerbraking, can you spin your tires? I still CAN'T... Video with AE chart

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I should try mine too, though it's a bit hard to power brake a 6 speed.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a dying fuel pump. Loud injectors when you let off the throttle plus white smoke is what my truck would do when the fuel pump was about to quit FWIW.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:20 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by VQ2Fast4U
Sounds like a dying fuel pump. Loud injectors when you let off the throttle plus white smoke is what my truck would do when the fuel pump was about to quit FWIW.
Exactly what I was thinking yesterday, but I hooked up a gauge to the heads and got this...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4EyilVddw4k?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

That funky gauge on the cowl is a mechanical, 100psi liquid filled gauge. Hard to read but it never drops before 70psi.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Looked like you were getting decent boost as well.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe your back brakes are just working to good!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by bulla
Maybe your back brakes are just working to good!
Wish that was the case, but remember, I can't hop a little parking barrier any more either . So I'm going to check for boost leaks and hook up my AE. Hopefully tomorrow.

A couple of ya'll have talked about white smoke, that smoke looked pretty black to me... is that more white than black?

Also, if I've got a pretty good boost leak, would I ever be able to obtain 30psi, cause I can do it pretty easy when I pull out, takes a second, but once it starts... I'm there. Ever since I pulled my e99 turbo off my turbo spool time has been high. That turbo "flicked" the boost gauge needle (same gauge), literally it would jump to ~23psi under acceleration. It was explained to me that 1. the .84 A/R of the OE turbo built boost faster at the expense of higher rpms, and 2. This 38R was more "efficient" so my boost numbers would be slower/smaller with MORE effect. I haven't seen it.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
I thought the smoke looked white in the video but maybe it's just my eyes. If you're obtaining 30PSI, I'd say you don't have a boost leak.

Do you have an EBPV? I can't remember if the E99 trucks had them. If you do, it may be sticking. My old 2000 F250 had it stick once and could barely get out of the drive way, had it floored and it was crawling.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Nope, gutted that thing years ago, however, that is the BEST description of how the truck acts. I also had my EBPV take a sh&*, and it acted the same way.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
What do your EGT's do when you're power braking? Are they going as high as they used to?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
SO how does it happen that you can get 30 PSI boost when driving the truck, but less than 10 when you are sitting still and power braking the thing? I'm not calling you a liar because you can really see it on the video, I just don't know what might be wrong to make such a difference? Unless the 38R just won't make that much boost until the engine gets up to higher RPMs?

I would tend to agree that boost leaks shouldn't be the issue if you're hitting 30 PSI boost upon acceleration.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Also, it seems like the truck gets up to speed just fine. It seems as though there is just an issue at really low RPMs. That's really kinda strange.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Visseroth
What do your EGT's do when you're power braking? Are they going as high as they used to?
Well on that particular run, my EGT's climbed above 1000, can't remember what they use to climb to when I'd stomp on it. Pulling out on the road I can peg 1200 easy.

If I didn't know better, I'd say the stall on the converter was to low, but when Brian installed the tranny, we went for a test drive and I was able to light'em up from a standing start with no brakes at all.

So the engine is just a pump, here's what I've got... AFE open element filter (not clogged), 38R in good repair (just had it off, spins free, compressor wheel good, turbine wheel good), had CAC tubes off (painted), five way plenum off (painted), all reinstalled tightly (Clay's boots to intercooler, Bob Riely's boots to intake plenums), R&R both manifolds, added gaskets (good seal, much quieter), both up-pipes reinstalled (sealed well), baby's butt installed on turbo prior to installation on engine (it's lined up and tight), and finely the down pipe was seated well, and installed tight. All the plumbing is good.

Fuel, well never fell below 70psi. At idle, 76psi, coasting with T/C locked, 78psi, under acceleration 72-76psi. Gauge plumbed into the cylinder head fuel galley (post filter) so that should be good.

There is no leaks, I have an Adrenaline pump, but will confirm after connecting the AE.

So, I have never replaced/upgraded my IPR. When I installed the Adrenaline, I R&R'd it from the old pump, to the new pump. Sprayed it with brake kleen, but that was it. Could that be a problem?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:44 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
You just recently did all this work? It's like it's loading up and once it catches a few more rpm's it's really moving! You didn't loose any rags in the intake! Lol! Seriously though.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Your truck runs so good once it's moving. Yea I'm jealous, and with my stage 1's and 38r I don't have any spool up
Issues. Still think like you said something with the stall in the tc, you know as bullet proof as those tranny's are chit can still happen. I'd just hate to see you overlook something cause you *** u me it's good! Lol.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
I don't see it as the TC. He should be producing enough power at full throttle to more than break those tires loose.

Quick Reply: Powerbraking, can you spin your tires? I still CAN'T... Video with AE chart